optometry is great!!! read this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not upset, but you are right, I have realized that Optometry isn't the best "fiscal" option, but I could never see myself cleaning people's teeth (gross!) or drawing blood from them (as a PA).
Life isn't ALL about $$$, you should do what you think will make you happy.

If you can't imagine yourself doing anything else but optometry, then by all means go for it. No one is stopping you. Just don't say things as if you know it better than us ODs. We're just here to tell you the truth about the profession so that you know what to expect when you get your OD degree. So consider yourself lucky b/c for me at least, I went blindly into the program and reality hits me in the face when I got out and trust me it hurts really bad when you have to find out the hard way.

Members don't see this ad.

Tippytoe was obviously recruited by Jason K to get on here and "scare" pre-op students. The 2 of them should really get a hobby, maybe go become tennis budies?? lol.

Great observation skills chick. I understand numbers and fact don't mean anything to most of you students, but I point to the information under our avatars. I joined studentdoctor in 2007 while Jason just joined in 2011. So your deductive skills need a little work.

It's those fine details that are gonna get ya.

Great observation skills chick. I understand numbers and fact don't mean anything to most of you students, but I point to the information under our avatars. I joined studentdoctor in 2007 while Jason just joined in 2011. So your deductive skills need a little work.

It's those fine details that are gonna get ya.

I think she's suffering from "Beiber Fever." Symptoms include, time/date confusion, screaming uncontrollably, and making out with wall posters. We can confirm one of the three. Optomchick, if you have the other two, you need to get to an ER asap. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
To Jason K. and other contrarian optometrists of this forum:

Keep up the good fight.:laugh::thumbup: You guys (boomer generation) definitely possess much more energy than I do. I am about to embark on this Arctic cruise. I will take some pictures for you guys when I am on the hot-air balloon ride over Arctic region as part of my off-shore cruise excursion. Take Care.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU0cq3UvLaM[/YOUTUBE]

To Jason K. and other contrarian optometrists of this forum:

Keep up the good fight.:laugh::thumbup: You guys (boomer generation) definitely possess much more energy than I do. I am about to embark on this Arctic cruise. I will take some pictures for you guys when I am on the hot-air balloon ride over Arctic region as part of my off-shore cruise excursion. Take Care.

Excellent video! "They would rather be wrong with their peers than right alone."

.....a perfect summary for what goes on in this forum. :laugh:

http://www.polarcruises.com/arctic/tours/50-years_50/north-pole_555.htm

Come to think it !! May be healthcare is not a bubble after all..:D:thumbup:
Human settlement of Mars in 2023
http://mars-one.com/en/
Mars One will establish the first human settlement on Mars in 2023. A habitable settlement will be waiting for the settlers when they land. The settlement will support them while they live and work on Mars the rest of their lives. Every two years after 2023 an additional crew will arrive, such that there is a real living, growing community on Mars. Mars One has created a technical plan for this mission that is as simple as possible. For every component of the mission we have identified at least one potential supplier. Mars One invites you to join us in this next giant leap for mankind!
SPACE TAXIS: NEXT STOP MARS?
http://news.discovery.com/space/taxis-mars-spacex-120521.html

LIQUID OIL DISCOVERED ON MARS!!!
http://www.mikejwilson.com/mars/mars_oil/

Michio Kaku: The Cheapest Way to Terraform Mars
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvhOepio4Q[/YOUTUBE]

And I know a guy that started a locksmithing business 20 years ago. He employees 7 people and makes $1.4 million per year.

Then I talked to another locksmith that used to work for him and now went out on his own. In his first year, he made $300,000 net.

How do I know all of this? Well they told me. And I saw them open up 2 car doorlocks and a house lock.

So it has to be all true, right.

Locksmithing = H.S. diploma + apprenticeship +some cool tools.

See how silly this all sounds.
Ahhhh.....to be young and innocent again. The memories :zip:

I wonder how "push-start" keyless cars will affect his business. Houses are being built with keyless locks as well.

I wonder how "push-start" keyless cars will affect his business. Houses are being built with keyless locks as well.

Don't know. I do know he just got a contract with Wal-mart. They have muncho locks and we have 10 Wal-marts in the area. (And he's adding security systems to his business offerings).

Sad thing is, he will be called into a Walmart and change 5 of their locks in 1 hour and he'll make more than the OD sitting in the eye closet for 10 hours.:oops:

Lots of competition in the locksmith field. But just being clean and having pants that don't show his ass crack seems to get him alot of business by word-of-mouth (compared with the other mouth-breathers in his field). Wish it was that easy in optometry.

I haven't used a house key in years. One code opens the garage door, one opens the breezeway door, and one disarms the alarm. But the codes are all different and you need to know them all or the cops will come. Never needed a locksmith.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't used a house key in years. One code opens the garage door, one opens the breezeway door, and one disarms the alarm. But the codes are all different and you need to know them all or the cops will come. Never needed a locksmith.

"I haven't needed an optometrist in years. One stop on Coastal's website gets me glasses, contacts, and everything else I need for my eyes. No need for an Rx, I just put in the request on Saturday afternoon so the Dr's office can't deny it within 24 hours. I get exactly what I want at a huge savings over seeing the doctor for the same thing. I had an eye infection a couple of years ago, but I went to Walgreens and the nurse hooked me up with some drops for $20. Never needed an optometrist."

-Anonymous Q. Consumer

Last edited:
Alight...after reading this form multiple times over and over and reading stuff all over the internet I am getting annoyed. I have shadowed many PA's and the majority said not to do it. They are constantly running around, working weird hours, sometimes part time just like optometrists, and as far as salary goes they do make less than optometrists in MOST cases. Im from PA. Here I went around and shadowed tons of ODs. All of them have told me to do it, and they are getting paid well for not doing much at all. They have the doctor title too. Yes, about 4 of the people were recent grads that had jobs lined up during the last year in school already. If your from NY, Cali, or Chicago you might want to reconsider but in most other places you are fine.

I can never imagine myself as a dentist torturing people all day every day. I cannot be a pharmacist on the phone all day....and the pharmacist i talked to all hate...Hate their jobs. podiatists make more $$ for sure, but you have to see some messed up stuff.

if your good making 100k after 5 years in the field you are fine. People entering should know your not gonna make doctor money, but your gonna be more well off than a LOT of people around you. Marry someone in your class and you will have a household income of 200k-ish......I think your gonna be alright.

had to get that out there.....p.s. note that there are only a few key people on these forms that hate the profession for silly reasons they should have known before they applied..and they post on the majority of the topics so don't get discouraged, but know what lies ahead.

I can never imagine myself as a dentist torturing people all day every day

I had to get that out there.....p.s. note that there are only a few key people on these forms that hate the profession for silly reasons they should have known before they applied..and they post on the majority of the topics so don't get discouraged, but know what lies ahead.

The bold comments show you're lack of knowledge.

"your" not "you're"

If we are going to have grammar lessons; you forgot 4 out of 5 items that make a complete sentence.

Alight...after reading this form multiple times over and over and reading stuff all over the internet I am getting annoyed. I have shadowed many PA's and the majority said not to do it. They are constantly running around, working weird hours, sometimes part time just like optometrists, and as far as salary goes they do make less than optometrists in MOST cases. Im from PA. Here I went around and shadowed tons of ODs. All of them have told me to do it, and they are getting paid well for not doing much at all. They have the doctor title too. Yes, about 4 of the people were recent grads that had jobs lined up during the last year in school already. If your from NY, Cali, or Chicago you might want to reconsider but in most other places you are fine.

I can never imagine myself as a dentist torturing people all day every day. I cannot be a pharmacist on the phone all day....and the pharmacist i talked to all hate...Hate their jobs. podiatists make more $$ for sure, but you have to see some messed up stuff.

if your good making 100k after 5 years in the field you are fine. People entering should know your not gonna make doctor money, but your gonna be more well off than a LOT of people around you.

Wait, wait, wait!!! Someone on the internet is wrong?

:eek:

Marry someone in your class and you will have a household income of 200k-ish......I think your gonna be alright.

I can see how that script goes during a break-up.

ODstudent: I'd love to marry you, but you're from the other side of the tracks and I saw your FAFSA and saw that your EFC is 0. I'm just worried we aren't in the same caste, er, um, I mean class.
Soon to be Ex: What the hell are you talking about?
ODstudent: Well the internet told me that if I want to be a successful OD I need to marry someone that is in my same class in order to supplement my income since I will OBVIOUSLY not make close to the magical $200k.
Ex: ?????

Thanks for the laughs!

Last edited:
If we are going to have grammar lessons; you forgot 4 out of 5 items that make a complete sentence.

Wait, wait, wait!!! Someone on the internet is wrong?

:eek:

I can see how that script goes during a break-up.

ODstudent: I'd love to marry you, but you're from the other side of the tracks and I saw your FAFSA and saw that your EFC is 0. I'm just worried we aren't in the same caste, er, um, I mean class.
Soon to be Ex: What the hell are you talking about?
ODstudent: Well the internet told me that if I want to be a successful OD I need to marry someone that is in my same class in order to supplement my income since I will OBVIOUSLY not make close to the magical $200k.
Ex: ?????

Thanks for the laughs!

Nah, I'm going to find myself a rich Dentist or DO to marry ;) (Good thing Western has a has both schools!)

Dental is becoming saturated and becoming corporate/commercial too.... Stick with a DO;);)

Reminds of this one guy whose paper I glanced at once. He used semicolons instead of commas at every opportunity.

You'll need him to pay off your loans :laugh:

I know hehe ;) Hmm not sure if I'd rather marry the Dentist or DO...might suck for the DO to be in residency for 4 years...but the Dentist might not be able to get a loan to open his own practice or not get enough patients in the first couple years out. Maybe just go for a lawyer that's already a partner in a firm :p

I know hehe ;) Hmm not sure if I'd rather marry the Dentist or DO...might suck for the DO to be in residency for 4 years...but the Dentist might not be able to get a loan to open his own practice or not get enough patients in the first couple years out. Maybe just go for a lawyer that's already a partner in a firm :p

Dumbest thing you've said so far. Quit while your ahead and thank the lord that you've gotten accepted somewhere with that 3.0 GPA

Dumbest thing you've said so far. Quit while your ahead and thank the lord that you've gotten accepted somewhere with that 3.0 GPA

oh so you can bash optometrists all you want, but someone says one little thing about Dentists having a hard time getting patients and you freak out?? lol If you're going to give it out, learn to take some. And all I was saying was that it might be hard to start your own practice, which isn't bashing dentists AT ALL.

oh so you can bash optometrists all you want, but someone says one little thing about Dentists having a hard time getting patients and you freak out?? lol If you're going to give it out, learn to take some. And all I was saying was that it might be hard to start your own practice, which isn't bashing dentists AT ALL.

You should do some research before you make ignorant statements, all my statements are based on facts :)

You should do some research before you make ignorant statements, all my statements are based on facts :)

So you think you're just going to open up shop and a bunch of patients are going to walk right in? Assuming you open up an office cold- it takes A LOT of hard work. I don't see how saying that it's not easy to have a booming dental practice is that much of a crazy statement.

You must be joking. Are you actually this vapid?

So you think you're just going to open up shop and a bunch of patients are going to walk right in? Assuming you open up an office cold- it takes A LOT of hard work. I don't see how saying that it's not easy to have a booming dental practice is that much of a crazy statement.

To educate you, no one opens up a solo office right away. You either work as an associate for someone else or you buy out someone's existing business. Opening up your own office w/o any experience, patients, or real world knowledge is akin to going to Optometry school. :laugh:

To educate you, no one opens up a solo office right away. You either work as an associate for someone else or you buy out someone's existing business. Opening up your own office w/o any experience, patients, or real world knowledge is akin to going to Optometry school. :laugh:

How much can you really make as a dental associate? Also, there's no WAY I could afford the 45-50K/year tuition for dental school, assuming I could get in if I raised the GPA...

Also, if you're going to pay 45-50K tuition and you have a high GPA, why would you go to Dental school over Med school?

Last edited:
Also, if you're going to pay 45-50K tuition and you have a high GPA, why would you go to Dental school over Med school?

Optomchick can you just stop talking. You know so little. This is why current ODs hate the new schools. You are the shining example of a 3.0 GPA future debt slave. Oh and don't look for a guy to bail you out. Girls in doctorate/professional schools make up like 50% of the graduates. So, equality is equality. You wanted it. You got it. You might have to bail him out :p

Optomchick can you just stop talking. You know so little. This is why current ODs hate the new schools. You are the shining example of a 3.0 GPA future debt slave. Oh and don't look for a guy to bail you out. Girls in doctorate/professional schools make up like 50% of the graduates. So, equality is equality. You wanted it. You got it. You might have to bail him out :p

Ya except you forgot that you're in Optometry school too, so you're not that much smarter with your choices :p

I do want to know why someone would pick Dental school over Med school, it seems kind of lame to me.

Ya except you forgot that you're in Optometry school too, so you're not that much smarter with your choices :p

I do want to know why someone would pick Dental school over Med school, it seems kind of lame to me.

Except the difference between you and me will be $150,000 of debt. And that I am at one of the top 2 optometry schools while you will be at one of the bottom 3.

Dentists get amazing reimbursements for the amount of time they have to spend educating themselves. I've had a DO surgeon tell me he would have done dentistry if he knew the reimbursements they get. Dentists work 35 hours a week and get paid more per hour than primary care Doctors. That's why. Now be quiet please.

Last edited:
Except the difference between you and me will be $150,000 of debt. And that I am at one of the top 2 optometry schools while you will be at one of the bottom 3.

Dentists get amazing reimbursements for the amount of time they have to spend educating themselves. I've had a DO surgeon tell me he would have done dentistry if he knew the reimbursements they get. Dentists work 35 hours a week and get paid more than primary care Doctors. That's why. Now be quiet please.

:thumbup: Shnurek props to you for educating a 3.0 student on the rigors of life. haha

Dentists get amazing reimbursements for the amount of time they have to spend educating themselves. I've had a DO surgeon tell me he would have done dentistry if he knew the reimbursements they get. Dentists work 35 hours a week and get paid more than primary care Doctors. That's why. Now be quiet please.

My parents might pay for my tuition/rooming in the next years. So I'm actually not taking on that much debt. And I really doubt which school you go to matters. I want to practice in CA, so going to a school in CA is all I care about.

IDK I still think medical doctors are a better career choice than dentists. My dentist said she's constantly stressed out and seems kind of miserable.

An OD with a 3.0 ugrad GPA seems lame to me

:thumbup: Shnurek props to you for educating a 3.0 student on the rigors of life. haha

For the record, my GPA is now a 3.2....and Shnurek, didn't you have a 3.2 when you applied? I think i remember reading that on a thread.

For the record, my GPA is now a 3.2....and Shnurek, didn't you have a 3.2 when you applied? I think i remember reading that on a thread.

But somehow you fooled OD programs to accept you with a 3.0 lol most nursing programs wouldn't accept you, I'm shocked how you managed to get into an OD program.

OK since this thread has gone down the drain: [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJRwIf1FF0[/YOUTUBE]

Meet my new favorite troll

But somehow you fooled OD programs to accept you with a 3.0 lol most nursing programs wouldn't accept you, I'm shocked how you managed to get into an OD program.

I went to a top 10 university, which was known for being especially hard on sciences so they may have taken that into account. Also according to your data on the other thread, 320 OAT is average ;) I got some pretty good recs and extra-curriculars too.

What I really want to know is how that girl got into Berk with a 2.9 GPA, I know she was URM, but seriously??

I went to a top 10 university, which was known for being especially hard on sciences so they may have taken that into account. Also according to your data on the other thread, 320 OAT is average ;) I got some pretty good recs and extra-curriculars too.

What I really want to know is how that girl got into Berk with a 2.9 GPA, I know she was URM, but seriously??

ye im not gonna argue bout this. i still think its too low.

Oh, don't even get me started on the URMs and affirmative action. I hate it with a passion. If you are a URM you can get into MD school with a 3.1 or even 3.0 GPA.

Have fun making 40-50k kissing people's asses for 4-6 years residency after graduating. I will be perfectly content with making 70-80k right after graduation.

Ya I could go into the military too after I graduate and be making 100k and getting my loans repaid, but I hate the military and want no part of it. At least my loans won't be raking up interest for 4-6 years of residency. Don't think you're so high because you're in medicine, your profession is declining as well, but you're all too deluded to realize it. At least the Optometry profession knows what's up with the decline of ALL medical professions in our country.

Meh... residency wasn't so bad. I'm finishing mine over the next 4 days... it was an experience. I wasn't treated badly, it was a fun experience in the end. You should choose to do what you want to do and not so much what you think is the quickest way to earn a buck.

Meh... residency wasn't so bad. I'm finishing mine over the next 4 days... it was an experience. I wasn't treated badly, it was a fun experience in the end. You should choose to do what you want to do and not so much what you think is the quickest way to earn a buck.

IDK if I had a high GPA I'd go for nurse practitioner, 4 years and you're out making 90k. Not having to worry about getting sued or paying back crazy high loans, awesome health insurance, probably working in any specialty you want...

What is your loan at after residency? 250k? I can't even imagine the amount of interest that carried over the 4 years of residency....

(Not trying to diss doctors at all, just curious)

At least we both probably agree Doctors > Dentists *snickers*

Last edited:
IDK if I had a high GPA I'd go for nurse practitioner, 4 years and you're out making 90k. Not having to worry about getting sued or paying back crazy high loans, awesome health insurance, probably working in any specialty you want...

What is your loan at after residency? 250k? I can't even imagine the amount of interest that carried over the 4 years of residency....

(Not trying to diss doctors at all, just curious)

My loan is 180K.

My first year out, my salary is about $400K. In 2 years I make partner and I make capital gains on whatever I put into the group to the tune of at least 25% ROI. If I put in $750,000, I make about $160K post tax in addition to the hours I work. I may hit well above $550K given the time.

You make the calculations if an NP beats my path.

I got married a year ago, my wife is a pharmacist. She makes well above what an NP makes - even her salary is no match ($120K/yr). She's going part time now that I'm out... we don't see the need for her to work all the extra hours for an additional $45K. I work 1 day and I match her 3-4 days of work.
We just turned 30. DINK (double income no kids). Our annual gross is easily $500K. No overhead. I do not regret my choice to go MD.

I get to do what I like to do, I feel like I didn't cut corners and I get compensated decently.

Last edited:

Not sure if I agree either...

My fellow oral surgeon residents are making bank.

I make a puny $400K while they just signed contracts for $600K (after overhead).

This is the big leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.