Optometry Recommended Pre-Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seejaykayy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are *the* recommended pre-reqs for most optometry schools? I'm looking in particular at Salus, because it's closest to home, but am willing to look anywhere on the east coast. I've already looked over Salus', but they seem to require a bit more than some of the other schools I've looked at. It looks like most schools only require up to Calc 1 and Orgo 1, but is that the general consensus? I honestly don't know if I can pull a decent enough grade in either of those classes to warrant taking Calc 2 or Orgo 2. (I'm going to have a hard enough time with physics....) What are *the* classes to take for pre-reqs?
For reference, I got AP credit for Bio 1 and 2, with labs, and am currently taking Calc 1, Intro to Psychology (and am planning on taking more psych classes throughout college), Chem 1 with lab. I plan on taking chem 2 with lab next semester, but will avoid Calc 2 if I can manage. Was calc 2 a big part of the OAT? I also plan on taking just Orgo 1 over the summer if I can, then taking Biochem and Physics next year. I will have to take biostats for my projected Public Health major, so that should cover the stats requirement.
Am I missing anything? Should I take calc 2 and orgo 2? Does *highly recommended* basically mean required?

Members don't see this ad.

What are *the* recommended pre-reqs for most optometry schools? I'm looking in particular at Salus, because it's closest to home, but am willing to look anywhere on the east coast. I've already looked over Salus', but they seem to require a bit more than some of the other schools I've looked at. It looks like most schools only require up to Calc 1 and Orgo 1, but is that the general consensus? I honestly don't know if I can pull a decent enough grade in either of those classes to warrant taking Calc 2 or Orgo 2. (I'm going to have a hard enough time with physics....) What are *the* classes to take for pre-reqs?
For reference, I got AP credit for Bio 1 and 2, with labs, and am currently taking Calc 1, Intro to Psychology (and am planning on taking more psych classes throughout college), Chem 1 with lab. I plan on taking chem 2 with lab next semester, but will avoid Calc 2 if I can manage. Was calc 2 a big part of the OAT? I also plan on taking just Orgo 1 over the summer if I can, then taking Biochem and Physics next year. I will have to take biostats for my projected Public Health major, so that should cover the stats requirement.
Am I missing anything? Should I take calc 2 and orgo 2? Does *highly recommended* basically mean required?

You can answer most if not all questions on optomcas.org . Anything else email admissions for the schools you're interested in