Optometry School..So confused and worried, will I be accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rim_0101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
n

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello!

Okay, first of all: a 3.9 is a very good GPA! Also, you have reasons for your poor academic work the first year, however you have had an upward trend!
From what you are mentioning, if you want to take all the courses that are mentioned here is how I would do it:
Microbio over the summer
orgo 1 and physics 1 in the fall
orgo 2 and physics 2 in the spring
spend the summer break studying for the OAT. This is key. If you achieve a good score, your C's will not give much weight to the application. Show them your upward trend. Apply early!
If you DO want to retake those however I would plan your senior year as follows:
Biochem and Psych in the fall
Anatomy and Physiology and calc in the spring
(you could switch these around as well; if you want them to see your retakes in the classes, you could always move psych and calc during your orgo semesters.)
There is not much biochem, psych, anatomy, physiology, or calc on the exam.
The anatomy that is mentioned, should have been covered in biology. If not, I would get a practice book to familiarize yourself with it.

I really think that you should not be worried however. I had much lower stats than you, retook a bunch of classes because of unique situation, and still got into 3 schools. Just show your passion for the field and explain how you are unique.
Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You will definitely not have a problem. Your GPA is higher than average and 1 or 2 C's aren't going to be a problem. I had 1 C+ and they didn't even ask me about it, and my GPA was lower than yours. I would not recommend retaking anything. Try not to take biochem and organic at the same time if you can help it. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user