Optometry school with a baby

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EvenIf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

My husband and I are planning for kids soon and I would appreciate any advice from the women who have gone or are going through optometry school either pregnant or with kids.

Rather than "I'd advise against it" or "it's not ideal" - I'm really hoping more to hear how the brave few who are doing it are balancing the two really big responsibilities: optometry school + baby.

Also, would you recommend trying for first year of optometry school or during rotations & why?

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously, don't do this to yourself. It's hard enough to keep yourself alive and mentally sound through a doctoral program, especially if you want to do well. I know you said that you don't want posts like this, but few people have kids in these kinds of programs and for good reason. Having actually gone through the schooling, I don't know why anyone would want to add additional stress and demands during the four years. Working toward the OD degree is non-stop work and very expensive. If you have any medical complications or need time off, you're likely going to have to sit a year out because you can get behind in these programs very quickly. There were no women in my class with children, from what I remember. I debated getting a dog or cat during my years, but I honestly didn't even feel like I had time for a pet. You can't put a child on standby once you have it, and it seems like it just wouldn't be fair to you or to it.

At least six or seven of my classmates have kids, some of them two or three young kids. A friend of mine who just finished first year has twins. However, their wives stay home and none of my female classmates have kids. You'll just have to decide if it will be financially reasonable and work out the logistics of being gone most of the day. My wife and I have a dog, which is about 1/600th the effort of taking care of a child, but it's been no problem at all. I would recommend you live very close to campus in any case. I guess my point is, being a Dad in Optometry school is totally doable, but I have no reference for being a Mom in optometry school. I guess that wasn't very helpful...

Hello:

I am a female attending optometry school starting her second year. I have 4 kids.

I cannot attest to what it is like being pregnant in optometry school, but I was pregnant with my twins during undergrad and started optometry school when they were 8 months old.

You can private message me and I would be willing to discuss my experience.