Optometry Students Working At Lenscrafters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcg138

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I am a 2nd year optometry student and was looking for part-time work, so I applied to a local Lenscrafters. I was accepted as an Eyewear Consultant/Sales Associate. The Manager that hired me mentioned taking part in their optician apprenticeship program which involves finding an Optician to sponsor you, completing hours working with then (regular paid hours), a registration fee ($93 which Lenscrafters refunds you), higher pay, and further down the road you can take your licensing boards, but you don't have to (odds are I won't, because by then I will have graduated from school as an optometrist).

Does anyone work at Lenscrafters and what is your experience?
Has anyone taken part of this apprenticeship program?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like they're just helping their staff become certified opticians. You probably don't need that since you're already getting ophthalmic material training, ophthalmic optics, and dispensing training at school, I'd bet during this 2nd year. And it won't really help you in the future as an OD unless you want more training in this area. Get some textbooks at your school library, read up on the material, and I bet you can pass easily on your own with <10 hours of studying.

Sounds cool. Good luck.