optometry vs. pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishpharm is trolling. This is the second thread you've pulled up thats old as hell. What's your point of doing so? Get real.

What's it to you.... is that all you can add to the topic?

Members don't see this ad.

LOL apparently you need to make yourself some glasses, not sure if you've had that class yet or not because pharmacists do way more than dispense pills ... that would be a pharmacy techinican's job. Pharmacists are involved with every part of healthcare that relates to medication, that is why you will see pharmacists on every floor of every hospital. When physicians do rounds a pharmacist is always part of that team. When I do rounds I've never seen an optometrist..lol. Pharmacist treat patients every day, especially in retail. Any recommendation we make to a patient is from a diagnosis we make. I personally don't feel that putting a machine infront of a patients face and asking, " Tell me which is clearer.... 1,2, or 3" is really treating patients...lol. Getting on here an slamming the pharmacy profession won't make your field any more diverse.... im sorry but it won't. The fact is your limitation is to the eye and if someone has a big problem they go see an opthamologist. By the way, two more optometry schools are opening up in Virginia.

Speaking from a PATIENT point of view.. the only time I have ever seen a real live pharmacist is when she asked me, "Do you know if this says 20/10 mg or 10/10mg?". :laugh:

Okay, that is important. I know that pharmacists know their stuff but really.. I would want more patient interaction as a health care provider.

Speaking from a PATIENT point of view.. the only time I have ever seen a real live pharmacist is when she asked me, "Do you know if this says 20/10 mg or 10/10mg?". :laugh:

Okay, that is important. I know that pharmacists know their stuff but really.. I would want more patient interaction as a health care provider.

It amazes me how people on here have no idea about pharmacy or healthcare in general. I just completely laid out so many fields in pharmacy that a pharmacy grad can go into. So bascially what your saying is you'd rather turn off the lights and look at someones eyes all day long.... my God how boring can that be. One good thing though, at least you have an Opthamologist to take care of your more interesting and complex cases ....

Members don't see this ad :)
FishPharm is a troll.:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

There is no way a real pharmacy student will be this clueless about the retail pharmacy job.

lol.... your previous posts prove your ignorance of pharmacy.

The reason why there are so many pharmacists in retail is because there are so many retail pharmacies and they pay really well. I'm not saying retail is for everyone but I would gladly do that than stare at peoples eyes all day long. I mean, what do you do if you got tired of that. As a retail pharmacist if you get tired of it you can go work in a hospital, long term care, nuclear.....the list goes on and on.

LOL apparently you need to make yourself some glasses, not sure if you've had that class yet or not because pharmacists do way more than dispense pills ... that would be a pharmacy techinican's job. Pharmacists are involved with every part of healthcare that relates to medication, that is why you will see pharmacists on every floor of every hospital. When physicians do rounds a pharmacist is always part of that team. When I do rounds I've never seen an optometrist..lol. Pharmacist treat patients every day, especially in retail. Any recommendation we make to a patient is from a diagnosis we make. I personally don't feel that putting a machine infront of a patients face and asking, " Tell me which is clearer.... 1,2, or 3" is really treating patients...lol. Getting on here an slamming the pharmacy profession won't make your field any more diverse.... im sorry but it won't. The fact is your limitation is to the eye and if someone has a big problem they go see an opthamologist. By the way, two more optometry schools are opening up in Virginia.

What two schools?

If they keep on opening new schools than maybe there isn't even an oversupply to begin with perhaps.

By the way, pharmacists do not treat anyone. They mostly stand behind counters and dispense -- you can see this anywhere there is a pharmacy.

ABaverage said it above as well and it was a determining factor for me.

I'm not saying retail is for everyone but I would gladly do that than stare at peoples eyes all day long.

I'd rather stare at people's eyes all day long than stare at pills and chemical formulas all day long. You chose that path and you enjoy it. Good for you. Now go do something useful like get laid or go hiking.

What two schools?

If they keep on opening new schools than maybe there isn't even an oversupply to begin with perhaps.

well, he is wrong. there is one school opening in Virginia and one in Massachusetts. so i think his point is correct, but his info is wrong.

And they open up schools to make money. they are both private schools. the one in virginia is being built to bring income to one of the poorest counties in the US. the one in mass is expanding from other health sciences.
They dont care if theres an oversupply, they just want to get money, and they will, and we all lose.

And for the farm fisherman, go fish somewhere else. my brother is a pharmacist and im doing optometry, pharmacy does not appeal to me at all, but i know its hard work and important. I would rather help people see, twisting dials. As "boring" as it is. thats what i choose.

dont hate

Last edited:
I love how people who know nothing about pharmacy always say that all pharmacist do is stand on their feet all day and count pills....lol. And these same optometrists want to prescrible oral medications...LOL...thats even more funny. For one, I would NEVER fill a Lortab prescription from an optometrist like another ***** in another post had said. .

That's strange.

That exact same situation happened to me years ago. A pharmacist refused to fill a perfectly legitmate Rx for Lortab.

He was reported to the pharmacy board, fined and put on probation as he should have been.

well, he is wrong. there is one school opening in Virginia and one in Massachusetts. so i think his point is correct, but his info is wrong.

And they open up schools to make money. they are both private schools. the one in virginia is being built to bring income to one of the poorest counties in the US. the one in mass is expanding from other health sciences.
They dont care if theres an oversupply, they just want to get money, and they will, and we all lose.

And for the farm fisherman, go fish somewhere else. my brother is a pharmacist and im doing optometry, pharmacy does not appeal to me at all, but i know its hard work and important. I would rather help people see, twisting dials. As "boring" as it is. thats what i choose.

dont hate

I'm glad and respect your doing what you love. Since your brother is a pharmacist I'm sure you can see my points. The problem on this thread is that so many people on here either lie about the pharmacy profession or they have absolutely have no idea on how healthcare works (I'm not saying you). When I originally came across this thread I was looking up info on Optometry because I heard there were two new schools opening up in Virginia. I did see that it was only one: Appalachian College of Optometry... the other is a rumor but I heard it was going to be a satellite program from another school but I couldn't find info on it. When I stumbled on this thread thru google I was horrified with the misinformation that is being said about the pharmacy profession to people wanting to choose a career path. So many people say that pharmacy is all counting pills ... this is equivelent to me saying that all optometry is is making glasses. In my other posts I've mentioned numerous fields in pharmacy and some I didn't even mention at all. So instead of being intellectual about it and verifying my statements all I get is the same ignorant people posting the same misinformation. To prove my point on the diversity of pharmacy ..... with all the pharmacy schools out there we still are in high demand .... and this is because there is so many things to do with a PharmD. A lot of these negative views stems from a lack of respect from the public for a retail pharmacist. I think part of this is because how accessible we are to people compared to MD's .... so to me, this can be seen as a strength and a weakness. Right now there are big changes going on in the pharmacy profession ... especially in retail ....vaccinations, MTM opportunities, disease state management etc. In some hospitals like the VA's we are seeing a trend with physicians writing the diagnosis and the clinical pharmacist prescribing from that diagnosis .... collaborative care.

I'm glad and respect your doing what you love. Since your brother is a pharmacist I'm sure you can see my points. The problem on this thread is that so many people on here either lie about the pharmacy profession or they have absolutely have no idea on how healthcare works (I'm not saying you). When I originally came across this thread I was looking up info on Optometry because I heard there were two new schools opening up in Virginia. I did see that it was only one: Appalachian College of Optometry... the other is a rumor but I heard it was going to be a satellite program from another school but I couldn't find info on it. When I stumbled on this thread thru google I was horrified with the misinformation that is being said about the pharmacy profession to people wanting to choose a career path. So many people say that pharmacy is all counting pills ... this is equivelent to me saying that all optometry is is making glasses. In my other posts I've mentioned numerous fields in pharmacy and some I didn't even mention at all. So instead of being intellectual about it and verifying my statements all I get is the same ignorant people posting the same misinformation. To prove my point on the diversity of pharmacy ..... with all the pharmacy schools out there we still are in high demand .... and this is because there is so many things to do with a PharmD. A lot of these negative views stems from a lack of respect from the public for a retail pharmacist. I think part of this is because how accessible we are to people compared to MD's .... so to me, this can be seen as a strength and a weakness. Right now there are big changes going on in the pharmacy profession ... especially in retail ....vaccinations, MTM opportunities, disease state management etc. In some hospitals like the VA's we are seeing a trend with physicians writing the diagnosis and the clinical pharmacist prescribing from that diagnosis .... collaborative care.

I respect your viewpoints, but I think you're a little confused.

1) In retail pharmacy, a large portion of your day is spent counting pills. You need to accept that. Likewise, for most ODs, a large part of their day is refractive error, just like a large part of my day is HTN/DM/lipids.

2) The irony of you coming in here and complaining about ODs not understanding enough about pharmacy while simultaneous making outlandish statements about optometry burns my eyes.

3) I'm with KHE, you had best have a decent reason to deny prescriptions from a licensed practitioner. If you do, you'll get no gripes from me. If you're doing it because you don't think that particular type of practitioner should be prescribing that drug... well, that's a different story.

That's strange.

That exact same situation happened to me years ago. A pharmacist refused to fill a perfectly legitmate Rx for Lortab.

He was reported to the pharmacy board, fined and put on probation as he should have been.

I know that this is a complete lie. There is no law that states that a pharmcist HAS TO FILL A PRESCRIPTION. If a pharmacist is uncomfortable with a prescription, BY LAW, they do not have to fill it and no board of pharmacy is going to fine and put a pharmacist on probation.... I appreciate that though... I needed a good chuckle for the day. The fact is Optometrist have a very LIMITED prescribing capabiltiy. In SOME states (California), Optometrist can write for a few analgesic medications but only for a 3 days supply which is designed to give the patient time to go see either their PCP or an Opthamologist... and again its only for a few pain medications. If a pharmacist for any reason does not feel comfortable filling it, they CAN NOT get in any kind of trouble. But, if we receive a prescription that is beyond the scope of practice or outside the boundries of an optometrists prescribing privileges, we can report the opthamologist to the board of pharmacy which will fine and possibly suspend their license .... I've seen this done 3 times with dentists but I've never seen it done to an optometrist because they mostly stick with topical opthalmics.

Heres information to back up my point ... but this just pertains to Florida

This is taken directly from The Florida Optometric Association:

Florida Certified Optometrists are authorized to administer and prescribe only those topical ocular pharmaceutical agents listed on the TOPA Formulary published by the Florida Board of Optometry. Individual Prescriber Numbers are issued to each Certified Optometrist by the Florida Board of Optometry to facilitate the prescription process. controlled substances. Because Florida Certified Optometrists are not authorized under Florida law to prescribe under Florida law to administer or prescribe controlled substances, none of the pharmaceutical agents listed on the TOPA Formulary are controlled substances. As a result, Florida Certified Optometrists ARE NOT REQUIRED to have a Federal Controlled Substance Registry Number (DEA Number) to administer or prescribe any of the pharmaceutical agents on the TOPA Formulary.

... so I'm curious what pharmacy board your refering to that actually fined and suspended a pharmacist for not filling a controlled prescription from an Optometrist .... I think we both know that didn't happen but again I appreciate the comedy.

Jesus, did someone turn this forum's troll magnet on high? It's been ridiculous around here lately.

I respect your viewpoints, but I think you're a little confused.

1) In retail pharmacy, a large portion of your day is spent counting pills. You need to accept that. Likewise, for most ODs, a large part of their day is refractive error, just like a large part of my day is HTN/DM/lipids.

2) The irony of you coming in here and complaining about ODs not understanding enough about pharmacy while simultaneous making outlandish statements about optometry burns my eyes.

3) I'm with KHE, you had best have a decent reason to deny prescriptions from a licensed practitioner. If you do, you'll get no gripes from me. If you're doing it because you don't think that particular type of practitioner should be prescribing that drug... well, that's a different story.

Again, more ignorance in the medical field. A more accurate statement would be that in retail pharmacy, a large portion of your day involves verifying proper drug prescribing, DUR's and counseling patients then I would agree 100%.....pharmacist do not count pills...thats what technicians are for... are you seriously that stupid? I've been involved in retail pharmacy before pharmacy school for 8 years and I know, because I was the one who counted the damn pills! And again read my above post, if a pharmacist doesn't feel comfortable about filling a prescription, whatever the reason, they are not obligated by law to do so.... and no where does the law state that "we better have a good reason."

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather stare at people's eyes all day long than stare at pills and chemical formulas all day long. You chose that path and you enjoy it. Good for you. Now go do something useful like get laid or go hiking.

:laugh: thats keeping it real :laugh:

Jesus, did someone turn this forum's troll magnet on high? It's been ridiculous around here lately.

Agree..just don't understand why Optometry is such a draw for the sky is falling crowd :confused:

Agree..just don't understand why Optometry is such a draw for the sky is falling crowd :confused:

This thread was started by someone innocently asking about Optometry vs Pharmacy as a profession. The problem I had is that people are talking negative about the pharmacy profession and stating lies as facts. The facts are they are both great medical professions. If someone posted this in the pharmacy forum I wouldn't start slamming optometry and making statements about the profession that aren't true just to make my own decisions in life more justifiable or appealing. Any no one is trolling. Trolling would be going into all the optometry threads and slamming everyone. The fact is when you google "Pharmacy Vs Optometry" this thread is the first hit...so no one is trolling. I'm simply trying to add that pharmacy is very diverse and retail is not counting pills ... it was in the 50's, 60's, and 70's and prob a lot of the 80's.

I know that this is a complete lie. There is no law that states that a pharmcist HAS TO FILL A PRESCRIPTION. If a pharmacist is uncomfortable with a prescription, BY LAW, they do not have to fill it and no board of pharmacy is going to fine and put a pharmacist on probation.... I appreciate that though... I needed a good chuckle for the day.

There is no law that states a pharmacist must fill a prescription but they have to have a good reason to not. In my state, I wrote for a completely legitimate drug that I was legally authorized to prescribe and the patient had a condition for which it was warranted and the patient was not a drug seeker. It was the patient who complained to the board, not me. The pharmacist told them that optometrists couldn't prescribe lortab which was completely false so it was the pharmacist who was ignorant. Personally, I could give a **** about stuff like that. And my sister has been a pharmacist for 27 years.

The fact is Optometrist have a very LIMITED prescribing capabiltiy. In SOME states (California), Optometrist can write for a few analgesic medications but only for a 3 days supply which is designed to give the patient time to go see either their PCP or an Opthamologist... and again its only for a few pain medications.

I dont' practice in California.

If a pharmacist for any reason does not feel comfortable filling it, they CAN NOT get in any kind of trouble. But, if we receive a prescription that is beyond the scope of practice or outside the boundries of an optometrists prescribing privileges, we can report the opthamologist to the board of pharmacy which will fine and possibly suspend their license .... I've seen this done 3 times with dentists but I've never seen it done to an optometrist because they mostly stick with topical opthalmics.

Heres information to back up my point ... but this just pertains to Florida

This is taken directly from The Florida Optometric Association:

Florida Certified Optometrists are authorized to administer and prescribe only those topical ocular pharmaceutical agents listed on the TOPA Formulary published by the Florida Board of Optometry. Individual Prescriber Numbers are issued to each Certified Optometrist by the Florida Board of Optometry to facilitate the prescription process. controlled substances. Because Florida Certified Optometrists are not authorized under Florida law to prescribe under Florida law to administer or prescribe controlled substances, none of the pharmaceutical agents listed on the TOPA Formulary are controlled substances. As a result, Florida Certified Optometrists ARE NOT REQUIRED to have a Federal Controlled Substance Registry Number (DEA Number) to administer or prescribe any of the pharmaceutical agents on the TOPA Formulary.

... so I'm curious what pharmacy board your refering to that actually fined and suspended a pharmacist for not filling a controlled prescription from an Optometrist .... I think we both know that didn't happen but again I appreciate the comedy.

I don't practice in Florida either.

I practice in Connecticut. I didn't file the complaint, the patient did. I was just asked to submit notes. It was a CVS Pharmacy in city called Waterbury and it occured in October of 2003 and the case was "adjudicated" or whatever they call it sometime around the summer of 2004. I got a letter saying the pharmacist was fined $250 and a 6 month stayed suspension of license. No one ever gets their license actually suspended for piddly **** like this.

Last edited:
There is no law that states a pharmacist must fill a prescription but they have to have a good reason to not. In my state, I wrote for a completely legitimate drug that I was legally authorized to prescribe and the patient had a condition for which it was warranted and the patient was not a drug seeker. It was the patient who complained to the board, not me. The pharmacist told them that optometrists couldn't prescribe lortab which was completely false so it was the pharmacist who was ignorant. Personally, I could give a **** about stuff like that. And my sister has been a pharmacist for 27 years.

I dont' practice in California.

I don't practice in Florida either.

I practice in Connecticut. I didn't file the complaint, the patient did. I was just asked to submit notes. It was a CVS Pharmacy in city called Waterbury and it occured in October of 2003 and the case was "adjudicated" or whatever they call it sometime around the summer of 2004. I got a letter saying the pharmacist was fined $250 and a 6 month stayed suspension of license. No one ever gets their license actually suspended for piddly **** like this.

Directly from Connecticut law:
(f) No licensed optometrist authorized pursuant to this section to practice advanced optometric care shall

dispense controlled substances under schedules II, III, IV and V or under section 21a-252, to any person unless

no charge is imposed for such substances and the quantity dispensed does not exceed a seventy-two-hour

supply, except if the minimum available quantity for said agent is greater than a seventy-two-hour supply, the

optometrist may dispense the minimum available quantity.

Again, more ignorance in the medical field. A more accurate statement would be that in retail pharmacy, a large portion of your day involves verifying proper drug prescribing, DUR's and counseling patients then I would agree 100%.....pharmacist do not count pills...thats what technicians are for... are you seriously that stupid? I've been involved in retail pharmacy before pharmacy school for 8 years and I know, because I was the one who counted the damn pills! And again read my above post, if a pharmacist doesn't feel comfortable about filling a prescription, whatever the reason, they are not obligated by law to do so.... and no where does the law state that "we better have a good reason."

Perhaps my state is different from yours. Here, the licensed pharmacist is required to count controlled substances personally. Given the huge numbers of people on controlled substances, this does make a large part of the pharmacist's day center on counting out pills.

As for not having a good reason, I think you interpreted me as being more narrow about that than I intended. I will try again. If a pharmacist's clinical judgement is telling them not to dispense a medication, that's fine. I expect a call so that we can work out whatever the problem is, I in fact welcome those calls as usually I learn something from the encounter and it encourages the pharmacists to call me in the future as I try to come off as friendly and appreciative of their advice/concerns.

That said, if your reason is something on the fuzzier end (like KHE's example) then there will be consequences as described above. In addition, many of the pharmacies around here have policies stating when you can and cannot refuse to dispense. It isn't law, but its pretty close.

Lastly, is there any need for that name calling? My first response was perfectly civil, I fail to see why that ends with you feeling the need to say unpleasant things like that.

(f) No licensed optometrist authorized pursuant to this section to practice advanced optometric care shall

dispense
controlled substances under schedules II, III, IV and V or under section 21a-252, to any person unless

no charge is imposed for such substances and the quantity dispensed does not exceed a seventy-two-hour

supply, except if the minimum available quantity for said agent is greater than a seventy-two-hour supply, the

Most practitioners can't dispense very many controlled substances. Heck, I can't dispense 30 vicodin if I wanted to and I have an unlimited license. Prescribing them is another matter entirely.

dispense controlled substances under schedules II, III, IV and V or under section 21a-252, to any person unless

So? What does that have to do with anything?

Pharmacy does more than dispense medications and optometrists do more than refract. This thread is dumb

I'm just saying that this is probably why it was questioned.

That says dispense, not prescribe. That just means I can't give them a fistfull out of my office. Or if I do, I can't give them more than 3 days worth.

I know of no optometrist who actually keeps meds like that around. I think (don't know for sure) but I think you need special certification for that and it has to be kept in a locked secured area and there's paperwork requirements and all sorts of BS.

That says dispense, not prescribe. That just means I can't give them a fistfull out of my office. Or if I do, I can't give them more than 3 days worth.

I know of no optometrist who actually keeps meds like that around. I think (don't know for sure) but I think you need special certification for that and it has to be kept in a locked secured area and there's paperwork requirements and all sorts of BS.

(5) "Ocular agents-T" means: (A) Topically administered ophthalmic agents used for the purpose of treating or alleviating the effects of diseases or abnormal conditions of the human eye or eyelid excluding the lacrimal drainage system, lacrimal gland and structures posterior to the iris, but including the treatment of iritis, excluding allergens, alpha adrenergic agonists, antiparasitics, antifungal agents, antimetabolites, antineoplastics, beta adrenergic blocking agent, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, collagen corneal shields, epinephrine preparations, miotics used for the treatment of glaucoma, temporary collagen implants and succus cineraria maritima; (B) orally administered antibiotics, antihistamines and antiviral agents used for the purpose of treating or alleviating the effects of diseases or abnormal conditions of the human eye or eyelid excluding the lacrimal drainage system, lacrimal gland and structures posterior to the iris, but including the treatment of iritis; and (C) orally administered analgesic agents used for the purpose of alleviating pain caused by diseases or abnormal conditions of the human eye or eyelid excluding the lacrimal drainage system, lacrimal gland and structures posterior to the iris, but including the treatment of iritis. "Ocular agent-T" does not include any controlled substance or drug administered by injection.

The above goes for both administered and prescribed medications under Conn. law. So by analgesic their meaning you have the ability to prescribe a non controlled pain medication. I'm not sure how you found out about that pharmacist "getting in trouble" but if it was from the patient I wouldn't believe it. So I would be very careful what your prescribing ... especially with what is going on with control drugs these days.

Most practitioners can't dispense very many controlled substances. Heck, I can't dispense 30 vicodin if I wanted to and I have an unlimited license. Prescribing them is another matter entirely.

Who can dispense controlled substances? M.D.s?

"Ocular agent-T" does not include any controlled substance or drug administered by injection.

The above goes for both administered and prescribed medications under Conn. law. So by analgesic their meaning you have the ability to prescribe a non controlled pain medication. I'm not sure how you found out about that pharmacist "getting in trouble" but if it was from the patient I wouldn't believe it. So I would be very careful what your prescribing ... especially with what is going on with control drugs these days.

"Ocular agent-T" does not include any controlled substance or drug administered by injection.

KHE is not injecting anybody. Therefore he can prescribe oral controlled substances like Lortab (Hydrocodone + Acetaminophen).

Hello FishPharm. If you are going to quote and analyze legal statutes then I suggest you learn how to read them first. I love seeing stupidity on these forums and how easy it is to disprove it. However, I doubt I'll have any effect on you because you are a full-blown imbecilic troll.

Your posts are devoid of any real arguments and structure.

Lol even after you pointed it out plainly they still don't get it.

Who can dispense controlled substances? M.D.s?

MDs (and any other practitioner including ODs, dentists, NPs, PAs) all prescribe controlled substances, pharmacists are the ones doing the dispensing.

I can, and sadly do, prescribe fairly high doses of controlled substances (lortab mainly), but the patient has to go somewhere else to physically obtain the pills.

(5) "Ocular agents-T" means: (A) Topically administered ophthalmic agents used for the purpose of treating or alleviating the effects of diseases or abnormal conditions of the human eye or eyelid excluding the lacrimal drainage system, lacrimal gland and structures posterior to the iris, but including the treatment of iritis, excluding allergens, alpha adrenergic agonists, antiparasitics, antifungal agents, antimetabolites, antineoplastics, beta adrenergic blocking agent, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, collagen corneal shields, epinephrine preparations, miotics used for the treatment of glaucoma, temporary collagen implants and succus cineraria maritima; (B) orally administered antibiotics, antihistamines and antiviral agents used for the purpose of treating or alleviating the effects of diseases or abnormal conditions of the human eye or eyelid excluding the lacrimal drainage system, lacrimal gland and structures posterior to the iris, but including the treatment of iritis; and (C) orally administered analgesic agents used for the purpose of alleviating pain caused by diseases or abnormal conditions of the human eye or eyelid excluding the lacrimal drainage system, lacrimal gland and structures posterior to the iris, but including the treatment of iritis. "Ocular agent-T" does not include any controlled substance or drug administered by injection.

Even though this has already been addressed, I wanted to re-emphasize this point. Optometists in Connecticut can't inject medications. That is not uncommon in optometry. This does not have any effect on an ODs ability to prescribe ORAL controlled substances like opioid analgesics.

I don't know where you found that but what you're looking at is the definition for an optometrist who is not practicing "advanced optometric care" which is covered under a separate piece of legislation. In CT, there are few ODs remaining who do NOT hold the advanced optometric care designation. The few that still do not are the old time vision therapy guys or the 85 year old guys who entered practice years and years ago and never pursued advanced care classification.

Here is the text of advanced optometric care:

Connecticut General Statutes Chapter 380 said:
CHAPTER 380*
OPTOMETRY
Sec. 20-127. Definitions. Scope of practice. License renewal forms. (a) For the purposes of
this chapter:
(1) The "practice of advanced optometric care" means any one or more of the following
practices and procedures: (A) Measuring, examining, diagnosing, preventing, enhancing,
managing or treating visual functions, defects of vision, muscular functions or anomalies, or
other conditions or diseases of the visual system, the eye and ocular adnexae; (B) the prescribing,
supplying, adjusting, fitting or adapting of ophthalmic devices and lenses, spectacles, prisms,
orthoptic therapy, visual therapy, visual rehabilitation, oculomotor therapy, tinted lenses, filters,
contact lenses, diagnosing, preventing, enhancing, managing, treating or relieving visual
functions, defects of vision, muscular functions or anomalies, or diseases of the visual system,
the eye and ocular adnexae; (C) the administration or prescription of any pharmaceutical agents
related to the diagnosis and treatment of conditions and diseases of the eye and ocular adnexae,
excluding nonemergency oral glaucoma agents but including controlled substances under
schedules II, III, IV and V in accordance with section 21a-252, subject to the limitations of
subsection (f)
of this section relating to quantities dispensed, performance or ordering of
procedures or laboratory tests related to the diagnosis and treatment of conditions and diseases of
the eye and ocular adnexae; these procedures include, but are not limited to, removal of
superficial foreign bodies of the cornea, ultrasound and topical, oral or injectable medication to
counteract anaphylaxis or anaphylactic reaction; (D) the nonsurgical treatment of glaucoma
consistent with subsection (k) of this section; or (E) the use of punctal plugs. The "practice of
advanced optometric care" does not include surgical treatment of glaucoma, treatment of ocular
cancer, treatment of infectious diseases of the retina, diagnosis and treatment of systemic
diseases, use of therapeutic lasers, use of injectable medications other than to counteract
anaphylaxis or anaphylactic reaction, surgical procedures other than noninvasive procedures, use
of general anesthesia, use of intravenous injections, procedures that require the cutting or
opening of the globe, enucleation of the eye, extraocular muscle surgery or any invasive
procedure performed on the

So thank you for your advice on "being careful." The next time I'm concerned about Connecticut optometry laws, I'll be sure to ask a pharmacy student from Florida. :rolleyes:

I don't know where you found that but what you're looking at is the definition for an optometrist who is not practicing "advanced optometric care" which is covered under a separate piece of legislation. In CT, there are few ODs remaining who do NOT hold the advanced optometric care designation. The few that still do not are the old time vision therapy guys or the 85 year old guys who entered practice years and years ago and never pursued advanced care classification.

So thank you for your advice on "being careful." The next time I'm concerned about Connecticut optometry laws, I'll be sure to ask a pharmacy student from Florida. :rolleyes:

Looks like you need to make yourself some more glasses....lol

Looks like you need to make yourself some more glasses....lol

Perhaps you could use some of his work as you are obviously blind to where both myself and an OD student showed your argument as what it truly is - a confusing mix of bluster and inability to comprehend basic english.

I read the first part that our lovely pharm rep copied as saying that ODs can't give injections of drugs or controlled substances.

Perhaps you could use some of his work as you are obviously blind to where both myself and an OD student showed your argument as what it truly is - a confusing mix of bluster and inability to comprehend basic english.

Thank you. :thumbup: As a 22 year old it feels good to outwit a 28+ year old. (Based on the fact he/she stated they were in retail for 8 years counting pills before they went to pharmacy school.)

PS - I made a mistake about KHE not being able to administer injections. He can to counter anaphylaxis. I forgot to take a look at the Scope of Practice for Optometrists by state (I attached it if anyone is curious but it is from 2007) The quoted statute merely states "Ocular agents-T" does not include any controlled substance injections hence he cannot inject such substances into patients.

Attachments

• Scope of Practice.doc
    151.5 KB · Views: 79
Thank you. :thumbup: As a 22 year old it feels good to outwit a 28+ year old. (Based on the fact he/she stated they were in retail for 8 years counting pills before they went to pharmacy school.)

PS - I made a mistake about KHE not being able to administer injections. He can to counter anaphylaxis. I forgot to take a look at the Scope of Practice for Optometrists by state (I attached it if anyone is curious but it is from 2007) The quoted statute merely states "Ocular agents-T" does not include any controlled substance injections hence he cannot inject such substances into patients.

LOL ... arguing about this is stupid and pointless, each state has their own rules and limitations. Reading further into other parts of Conn. law it talks about midwives prescribing C-II medications...lol... and they wonder why people are hooked on Oxycontin. Most of what I've seen from other states allow only a few days prescription for certain scheduled drugs. It's basically intended for patients to get by until they can see an opthamologist or their GP. This is where a pharmacists judgement comes into play and if they feel comfortable filling a certain prescription. I would be highly suspicous if I consistently kept getting controlled drug prescriptions from an Optometrist.

As for the outwit statement.... LOL... I needed another chuckle..thanks again

FishPharm, you do realize you are making the perception of pharmacists even worse than it already is right?

Please stop posting here and go back to your forums.

FishPharm, you do realize you are making the perception of pharmacists even worse than it already is right?

Please stop posting here and go back to your forums.

After reading some of the other posts I would say the preception of optometrists isn't the best either.... especially since some people have to lie about another healthcare profession to the original poster who was asking a simple question about optometry vs pharmacy as a career.

LOL ... arguing about this is stupid and pointless, each state has their own rules and limitations. Reading further into other parts of Conn. law it talks about midwives prescribing C-II medications...lol... and they wonder why people are hooked on Oxycontin. Most of what I've seen from other states allow only a few days prescription for certain scheduled drugs. It's basically intended for patients to get by until they can see an opthamologist or their GP. This is where a pharmacists judgement comes into play and if they feel comfortable filling a certain prescription. I would be highly suspicous if I consistently kept getting controlled drug prescriptions from an Optometrist.

As for the outwit statement.... LOL... I needed another chuckle..thanks again

I don't think there's an optometrist here who would argue with that statement, that's part of your job.

And you're right, it wasn't so much that you were outwitted as much as it is that your reading comprehension skills are not up to par.

Why such a condescending remark? No need to denigrate a profession based on the comments of one incredibly off-kilter poster.

After reading some of the other posts I would say the preception of optometrists isn't the best either.... especially since some people have to lie about another healthcare profession to the original poster who was asking a simple question about optometry vs pharmacy as a career.

the point is, you brought a dead thread to life again without being provoked. Quit being dumb

I'm 28 and was just accepted to opto school after working 10 years in the optical field. :rolleyes:

I've been involved in retail pharmacy before pharmacy school for 8 years and I know, because I was the one who counted the damn pills!

I respect pharmacists and what they do. I was merely just repeating what he/she said about counting pills. Wasn't trying to be condescending.

I'm 28 and was just accepted to opto school after working 10 years in the optical field. :rolleyes:

Congrats, your experience in the field will be valuable to fellow students.