optometry vs. pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Don't be quick to judge commerical optometrists. I have done both and there are good and bad commerical optometrists just as there are good and bad non commercial optometrists. The other week I had a patient who came for a second opinion of a "foreign body on the cornea" from his regular OD. He essentially had a corneal lac with uvea prolapse that his "non commercial" OD had tried to pull out and then recommended he give it a few days.

Members don't see this ad.

It is like a train wreck. Try not to stop and stare.

LOL apparently you need to make yourself some glasses, not sure if you've had that class yet or not because pharmacists do way more than dispense pills ... that would be a pharmacy techinican's job. Pharmacists are involved with every part of healthcare that relates to medication, that is why you will see pharmacists on every floor of every hospital. When physicians do rounds a pharmacist is always part of that team. When I do rounds I've never seen an optometrist..lol. Pharmacist treat patients every day, especially in retail. Any recommendation we make to a patient is from a diagnosis we make. I personally don't feel that putting a machine infront of a patients face and asking, " Tell me which is clearer.... 1,2, or 3" is really treating patients...lol. Getting on here an slamming the pharmacy profession won't make your field any more diverse.... im sorry but it won't. The fact is your limitation is to the eye and if someone has a big problem they go see an opthamologist. By the way, two more optometry schools are opening up in Virginia.

FishFarm, you're a douchebag. Who the hell are you to say our profession is better than anyone elses. You choose your field based on what you wanted from a career and they made a decision based on what they wanted. You're an embarassment to the health care "TEAM"!

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VpZtX32sKVE

The college-industrial complex has created not only myths, but outright hoaxes, in order to scam American students into becoming indentured servants for life.

Three years ago when 15 new pharmacist schools were about to open in the U.S., the college cartel bribed economists to come out with phony research reports showing that the U.S. was experiencing a huge shortage of pharmacists. The reports said that 150,000 new pharmacists would be needed in the U.S. by 2020 due to the aging babyboomer population and a huge boom in 24-hour pharmacies being built nationwide.

Today, NIA is receiving reports of pharmacies on the east coast receiving 300 applications for each new pharmacist job opening.

The college-industrial complex has created not only myths, but outright hoaxes, in order to scam American students into becoming indentured servants for life.

Three years ago when 15 new pharmacist schools were about to open in the U.S., the college cartel bribed economists to come out with phony research reports showing that the U.S. was experiencing a huge shortage of pharmacists. The reports said that 150,000 new pharmacists would be needed in the U.S. by 2020 due to the aging babyboomer population and a huge boom in 24-hour pharmacies being built nationwide.

Today, NIA is receiving reports of pharmacies on the east coast receiving 300 applications for each new pharmacist job opening.

Entire idea is deserving of a thread in and of itself. Love how the use the biggest failure and money manager of a dentist as an example.

It is like a train wreck. Try not to stop and stare.

This thread is one the most irrelevant threads I've seen on SDN Optom. forum...people who insist on comparing apples to oranges probably have much deeper issues...should try the psycology forum. :(

As a college student graduating next week and entering Opto-School in August (with $50,000 left in debt) I can say that this was an eye-opening video, something you don't learn in school (especially if you major in science like most Pre-Opts).

Being said, I do feel that college gave me the opportunity to learn more about myself and determine my own interests for my resulting career. It also was a necessity for me in order to attend graduate-school to specialize in something I ended up having a true passion for, given the current educational hierarchy-system we have in place today.

A bit un-nerving to watch but it was absolutely worth watching to learn about the actual problems our nation faces today, some of which are not portrayed by our government or the media at all. As always though it's best to watch these types of "documentaries" with a grain of salt and an open mind. I'm for starting another thread to discuss this, Meibomian SxN.