OPTOMETRY VS VETERINARY MEDICINE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jm88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I was just accepted to optometry school In Canada. I am super excited, however this also introduced a lot of worry. My first choice was medicine, second choice veterinary medicine and third choice was optometry. I was refused from med, which then led me to med vet as my best prospect because I did not think I'd get into optometry. The issue is, the way the university I applied to works, is that since optometry is my third choice, the second I get accepted to medvet the lower choice (opto) will instantly be cancelled - so the admission will be revoked - unless I cancel my file for vet school.

I have exactly 6 days to make a decision before the vet answers are released and I am freaking out. I admit, I have never shadowed a vet or an optometrist. I am familiar with the field of optometry as a patient. However, ever since childhood I've had a connection with animals that is unique. I have owned animals of all kinds, bred them, and volunteered at animal shelters, and feel like animals bring out the little kid in me again. I am very attracted to the possibility of working with them and by the huge diversity and opportunity that vet med presents.

Then reality kicks in:

Optometry is at the campus closest to my house, while vet is at a campus about 1.5 hours away, so I'll likely have to move ($$). Also, optometry only accepts 23 students so it is harder to get into than vet (not by much though). Then there is salary, lifestyle, future prospects to consider....which seem to favour opto much more than medvet at least at starting.

My questions:
1) what can a new grad in vet and one in opto expect in Canada salary wise
2) what is the job market like
3) what is the lifestyle like in both careers, starting and after you're established?
4) is opto very routine/boring?
5) is salary growth possible in both fields and to what extent? Example: owning own practice, specializing.
6) many people are telling me optometry won't exist in 20-30 years due to technology. Is this true? What are its prospects vs vet.
7) what are your views in terms of prestige of both careers.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.