Optometry with little patient contact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinyja

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya! :) I've just recently started looking into different areas of health care and what I want to pursue after I finish my undergrad education and I came across optometry on this forum.

I would like to know which field or specialty of optometry is least associated with patient contact or a specialty seeing a few patients per day? I know that this field is heavily dependent on giving people better vision which means interacting with them, but are there opportunities in this field to do other stuff, such as working in industry or in labs or something with little patient contact with an optometry degree? Something more suited for like an introvert or a shy person hehe. Like maybe research (also another question, does research mean you have to teach as well? I'm confused) Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hiya! :) I've just recently started looking into different areas of health care and what I want to pursue after I finish my undergrad education and I came across optometry on this forum.

I would like to know which field or specialty of optometry is least associated with patient contact or a specialty seeing a few patients per day? I know that this field is heavily dependent on giving people better vision which means interacting with them, but are there opportunities in this field to do other stuff, such as working in industry or in labs or something with little patient contact with an optometry degree? Something more suited for like an introvert or a shy person hehe. Like maybe research (also another question, does research mean you have to teach as well? I'm confused) Thanks! :)

I recommend applying for a PhD program such as vision science or a dual degree if you still want some patient contact.

If you don't like patient contact, Optometry is absolutely the wrong profession for you.

Reactions: 1 user
What about Biotechnology? You can still incorporate the medical side to research. Genomic / Epigenetic research is a big thing right now in therapeutics.