Oral and Maxillofacial surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theillestill

hold the mustard
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows anyone doing a Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery program in Med school here in australia after completing their australian dental degree.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone knows anyone doing a Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery program in Med school here in australia after completing their australian dental degree.

Cheers

I have a contact in Melbourne. PM sent.

Are you talking about doing a specific oral surgery program as part of the MBBS degree? You should know that it's almost impossible to get into a postgrad maxillofacial program unless you have a medical degree AND a dental degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at the RACDS application process. Apparently the BDSc pathway requires you to get accepted into a MBBS/OMS program rather than just apply for a MBBS.

Technically you could do just a BDSc and then a MBBS but you arn't guarenteed to be able to specialize as a Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon.

Its not guaranteed, but there are so few people who do actually get both their BDSc and MBBS that your odds of getting in to a program are really good. In Perth, i think in 2011 or 2012, the program will be changing over to post-grad entry only, where you need both BDSc and MBBS already to apply.

There are quite a few people going through med on their own here at the moment, but apparently there will still be a shortage of applicants from WA to fill the positions they'll need over the coming years. I don't know what it's like in the other states, but that's what I've heard from talking to all the max facs people over here!

According to RACDS - they don't preferentially treat candidates w/ just a BDSc or a MBBS over someone who's completed both degrees.

The only problem is that because you're not guaranteed a spot as a BST, you always run the risk of having completed your MBBS as a waste of time if you really want to do oral and maxillofacial surgery if you don't match.

The flip side is that there will be less candidates with both degrees, but if it's true what the RACDS say about not placing more emphasis on people with both degrees, it'd be a hard decision to do MBBS in the hopes of matching into oral and maxillofacial surgery.

Considering OMS training is something like 8+ years, I wouldn't say this is that early.

I am 3rd yr maxfac registrar in Victoria (now in Medschool). My understanding is that the program has changed all applicants will now have to be both BDS and MBBS positive before applying for Maxfacs through the RACDS. The program will from now on be 4 years long. Yr 1 is BST and yrs 1-3 are AST.

Basically you need to get a med degree on your own steam, do internship AND then hope you get selected.
Applicants would have to apply to the college for acceptance first and then to the individual units around Australia.
My lot of registrars did a dental degree or medical degree first, then did FRACDS part I (for the dentists), or a surgical residency (the "proper docs") and then applied to the college. We then got into a BST position and left for medical/dental school.

I really dont know whether the new system offers any advantages to the upcoming registrars. We have the problem of having to apply again for AST spots (no guarantee of getting back in), you have the problem of paying for 2 degrees with no guarantee of a maxfac place.

It's not easy

LATERAL ENTRY is a thing of the past

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am 3rd yr maxfac registrar in Victoria (now in Medschool). My understanding is that the program has changed all applicants will now have to be both BDS and MBBS positive before applying for Maxfacs through the RACDS. The program will from now on be 4 years long. Yr 1 is BST and yrs 1-3 are AST.

Basically you need to get a med degree on your own steam, do internship AND then hope you get selected.
Applicants would have to apply to the college for acceptance first and then to the individual units around Australia.
My lot of registrars did a dental degree or medical degree first, then did FRACDS part I (for the dentists), or a surgical residency (the "proper docs") and then applied to the college. We then got into a BST position and left for medical/dental school.

I really dont know whether the new system offers any advantages to the upcoming registrars. We have the problem of having to apply again for AST spots (no guarantee of getting back in), you have the problem of paying for 2 degrees with no guarantee of a maxfac place.

It's not easy

LATERAL ENTRY is a thing of the past

Mordecai,

If you're who I think you are thanks for the suturing advice :)

Mordecai,

If you're who I think you are thanks for the suturing advice :)

If I did help you (I am in Monash uni BTW), but even if it's not me- there are so few of us maxfac registrars in Melbourne that I will know the person.

:)