oral board prep advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heathermed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

for those that have taken the oral boards recently, any advice on where to start?
I have mine scheduled in 3 months.

The few threads that offer advice are slightly outdated.

thank you!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone

for those that have taken the oral boards recently, any advice on where to start?
I have mine scheduled in 3 months.

The few threads that offer advice are slightly outdated.

thank you!!!!!
Old advice is good advice. The exam hasn't changed.

Practice out loud. It's a speaking test, so speak your answers. Practice with colleagues, with your spouse, or by yourself. Consider taking a course if it's hard for you to find other people to practice with.

Honestly assess your knowledge base and work to correct weak areas. If you crushed the ITEs and the written, you've probably got the required knowledge to pass the oral exam. They say the oral is a test of judgment, and it is, but it's hard to have good judgment when you don't know what you need to know.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Took the Orals in October last yr, and thank God I passed. Took UBP prep course in San Diego as I felt that I needed a structure to go about it. Then it was practice, practice, practice with the wifey 2 hrs, 4 x a week after the kids went to bed. Even practiced speaking by the mirror to get the hibby jibbies off my system - sounds crazy, but I think it worked for me. As a poster above said, practice speaking out loud and expressing your knowledge in an efficient, coherent manner. I did it and can be done!

Practice with classmates in person or via google chat. Go over common scenarios and cases from Ho course. If you have access to any former board examiners, ask them to give you a practice exam 4-6 weeks out to fine tune things.

practice out loud and if you are asking for course recommendations, so justoralboards.com.

As you can see, people think practice is important! I would emphasize the "out loud" component of practice. You'll identify sloppiness out loud that you'd never identify if you're just reciting it in your head.

The other thing that I found helpful was to decide on cut-offs for various things, including justification where able. For example, patient comes in for ambulatory surgery with a finger stick of 301, what's your move? Patient has a sodium of 126, do you proceed? why/not? You will definitely be asked to discuss a DDx for various vital sign changes intra-op; think through an memorize your approach to HTN hypotension, tachy, brady, desaturation, etc. These should be basically rote by the time you are tested.

practice is most important. i did michael ho online review materials and took many mocks with his examiners, attendings, fellow residents. passed and felt good about the exam.

everyone has a different approach. For me was JustoralBoards.com, but above and beyond if you dont do your "practice" i don't think this exam will go your way. Remember, no course instructor will be in the room with you...you get to walk that last mile yourself. But yes, courses can help