Oral boards 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Took mine on April 1st too. Just tried to log in and it told me I wasn't listed as a diplomate, candidate, applicant or resident eligible for for an ABA ID. April Fools I guess? :boom:

Members don't see this ad.

I attended Ho in October, I think that helped me get organized. Read Yao cover-to-cover and then reviewed it frequently. Used the online Ho webcam club(helpful). Used UBP practice sets(got three books) and then regularly (2xweek) worked with a colleague to practice with UBP stems and the practice ABA exams. In the end I made a list of critical events and memorized some ddx responses(hypotension, hypoxemia, etc). Most importantly is know why you do the things you do and don't get cavalier. If you stray from what you do daily then you are telling yourself that what you do daily is wrong and the examiners will see through it and make you pay. Lastly I had a two hour phone call with. Board examiner from my program and asked him how topics present on the boards. Also, I prayed. Thought I failed, but I passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took it today. I can see why I could fail, I didn't answer some questions as best that I could. As much as I tried to stay calm...I was still very nervous and it probably showed. Now we just wait...2 weeks. Oh boy. :nailbiting::scared:

I think that is a common feeling. Feel like you failed, worry like hell for two weeks while constantly recalling things you said wrong, only to log in two weeks later and discover you passed. Early congratulations.

Long time lurker just coming to vent... Took the exam last Thursday. I felt like I had studied fairly thoroughly, did practice exams, etc. The main stems were fairly tough, but I thought I managed to get through them at least reasonably well. But I made a horrible management error on one of the last grab bag patients. I honestly don't know what I was thinking giving the answer I gave. I have heard some say that you can't fail based on one bad answer, and that is my only hope at this point. It's horrible to feel like all that prep was wasted due to one stupid error made essentially on account of the stress of the exam.

I'll be taking the exam next week. Hopefully I can replicate everyone's success in this thread.

Results just came out. BOOM. Passed. Feels great! Thanks for the support everyone! :):clap:

I did not use any review course, btw. Just went over Board Stiff Three and Anesthesia Oral Board Review. Practiced with 3 real board examiners, did a bunch of practice with a friend and spent evenings talking to myself outloud infront of a wall while my wife gave me weird looks .

Passed. Exhale. Read through a few ultimate board prep case books, and did ABA practice exams with a few friends. Probably did ~ 20-25 exams in total. Well worth it. Felt totally prepared and left the test feeling good. Honestly I think my buddies were meaner/more difficult examiners than any of the ones I had. Most important part of the review I did was making some lists of common differentials for issues that repeat themselves (hyper/hypotension, hypercapnea, hypoxia, fever, jaundice, oliguria, delerium/agitation, delayed emergence, etc.) organizing my thoughts like that vastly improved my performance on practice exams. Good luck everyone.

Long time lurker here. Found out I passed my oral boards today! Huge relief considering it was my second attempt. I left my test feeling like I had failed yet again. I am just so grateful that it is over and can enjoy life again. For all the first time future takers out there, my story:

Failed the orals my first time around during pain fellowship. Left feeling super destroyed. I prepared with UBP and practice exams. For me personally, it wasn't enough (also consider I wasn't doing anesthesia during pain fellowship). For many people, this will be plenty enough. Don't get me wrong, UBP is definitely solid, but my problem was that my knowledge was superficial meaning if they delved deeper into a topic I did not know it that well. What happened on my first time around was they smelled my knowledge deficit, ran with it, flustered me, and I got destroyed. Yes it is for the most part defending your answers, but do not let anyone tell you it is not a test of knowledge. It definitely is.

Second time around I knew I had to do something different. I did a Ho course a couple months before my boards (personally I felt if I had done it immediately right before I don't know if I would have been prepared enough. Also I did it early to scare the **** out of myself into studying.) He definitely goes more into knowledge and this is helpful if you know you are weak in knowledge. For me that was my biggest weakness. Talking out loud and explaining things (for me) was easier if I knew the material confidently. I did go balls out and do a course online as well (essentially the same thing but over Skype). I thought it was just a good as an in-person course (however, if you have attention problems you might not get as much out of it). Ho shows no mercy when he pimps you and trains you well to actually answer the question in a direct, efficient and concise manner.

To everyone who still has to take it, good luck. Most of you will feel terrible when you leave, feel terrible for 1-2 weeks while waiting for your results while second guessing your answers. It will haunt you day and night until you know you passed. I would rather take written tests 100 x over an oral board exam. I was really upset and disappointed in myself for literally 1 year and it took me 3 solid months to get over failing the first time. It hangs over your head until you get it done. In the big picture, your day to day job will not change, and for me, did not affect my job. If anyone fails, remember to keep your head up, figure out your weaknesses are so you can improve them and go in there the next time with the will and determination to win. Good luck all and major respect to all those that pass this difficult test.

Just finished. Really tough first stem, and even though I thought I adequately prepared, got a bunch of unexpected questions.

Like one of the posters above I completely bombed not one but TWO grab bags. Now sitting in the airport drinking my misery away.

Good luck to everyone!

FancyPants

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate to be "that guy". But if you fail, can you retake the exam the same year, or do you have to wait until the next calendar year to register again?

I passed! I also took it on April Fool's day, just after lunch. Raleigh had such beautiful weather that day, and I didn't get to enjoy it at all.

For anyone waiting, the portal is back up. I was going to check once a day, but this morning it said it was down for maintenance, which typically means they were uploading information. I checked it 5 times.

I failed it last October. That was a huge shock. Like someone said above, I walked out of it thinking that I had done really well, perhaps missing just one or two questions. When leaving this time I thought I had done poorly. Perhaps because now I better understood what questions they had been asking me.

I had done extremely well on the in-training exams and passed the written without any problem. So why would I fail? I think my problem was I had studied for the wrong test, I had studied for the writtens and assumed that that would get me through it. I went to the Dr. Ho course, read his book thoroughly, and all of my practice examiners there said I would pass without a problem. I listened to the Audio Digest series. But I didn't pass. When I found out I failed I bought Big Red, which was full of facts, but I don't think I would have passed with just that.

The biggest help was Just Oral Boards by Joe Tran. His review book explained the essence of the test. What are they looking for when they ask a question? His didactic sections were arranged for me to remember them in that format. I also did 4 practice exams via Skype.

I highly recommend it.
Which review book are you referring to? I didn't know Just Oral Boards had their own review book

Congratulations to those who passed. But to those who have failed life goes on, it's not a big deal, keep that in perspective. Board certification has no relevance to success in anesthesiology career. It only makes money for the aba.

Passed! Someone at the ABA made a horrible mistake :) did UBP live course and used all 6 books which were on the money. Did 10 practice exams with actual examiners, and 10 with a friend. Im a chronic pain fellowship so I was really nervous about this one.

Congrats to the rest of you diplomats!

Passed!! I am in complete shock. I know everybody feels like they don't pass but honestly I am not sure I would have passed me. So thankful for everything and looking toward future. Good luck to everyone.

Red

Reactions: 2 users
Passed as well. Congrats to all.

Anyone take the test today? What did you think? I feel like you can usually predict what they'd ask from a stem. All I know is that I definitely had to say "I don't know" a lot more than I anticipated. We shall see I guess ...

As I posted earlier this week, I passed. I am currently a pain fellow so 9 months or so out of the OR for me when I took the exam. I started really studying hardcore about 2 months out. As far as resources, I primarily used the ultimate board prep books 1-6 and old aba practice exams. I went through UBP 2-3 times depending on my comfort with the case, I feel it is an outstanding resource for self study for the orals. i also took advantage of several aba board examiners at my program as well as practicing with my co-fellows. I made flash cards of critical events and used Yao to supplement any areas I felt weak in such as cardiac. i would speak to myself and go through scenarios and disease states with their associated issues over and over and over. I also used the lange flashcards before I went to sleep as refreshers, but never got through all of them.

I walked out of the exam knowing I did well based on the above. I didn't think there was a chance I failed when I finished that day. good luck to everyone taking the exam.

For those that failed before, what do you think was the reason? Knowledge? vs. difficultly communicating?

Anybody know how much you can screw up and still pass??

Took the exam this week. I definitely feel like I failed. The 1st case was particularly hard for me. I found saying I don't know more than I liked. I know I messed up on a major question in the case. Just felt like they kept asking for more in depth answers. 2nd case went easier. Just wondering of those who took the exam this week what your thoughts were.

Took the exam this week. I definitely feel like I failed. The 1st case was particularly hard for me. I found saying I don't know more than I liked. I know I messed up on a major question in the case. Just felt like they kept asking for more in depth answers. 2nd case went easier. Just wondering of those who took the exam this week what your thoughts were.

I feel the same way! Thought it was brutal! UGH this wait is terrible. I can't stomach the thought of having to go through this again, but may have to accept that fact. :(

I took the exam for the first time earlier this month. I got my result back today and failed.

I read through ultimate board prep books 1-6 each 2-3 times and did about 5 mock exams online. I did about 10 mock exams in person with oral board examiners. My feedback was mostly positive.

Difficult times, indeed. I don't think I've ever felt worse, in my life.

inflames, I'm so sorry that you failed. It's a difficult, stressful test, no doubt. Pass/Fail also hinges on who went right before you, as perception is created in context. But you gotta know most of the stuff they ask you. My suggestion is that you take this opportunity to use your anger and disappointment to study the crap out of stuff you think you failed on.

You say your feedback was "mostly positive." I'm not sure if that's good enough. Did your examiners tell you your weak areas? That's the most important part of the mock orals. Do mock orals until your examiners tell you that you will pass, and not just to ease your pre-test jitters. I went through my weakest topics repeatedly until I sounded like I knew what I was talking about. Fake-it-till-you-make-it rings true in oral boards.

Hang in there. You'll be fine. Trust me, this will make you stronger and better prepared for next time. Take comfort in knowing that you're not alone, and thank you for speaking up and not hiding in the dark, because your words are comforting to others who also have failed. Board certification is certainly not a requirement to work, as it sadly seems that board eligibility is good enough for most places.

I took the exam for the first time earlier this month. I got my result back today and failed.

I read through ultimate board prep books 1-6 each 2-3 times and did about 5 mock exams online. I did about 10 mock exams in person with oral board examiners. My feedback was mostly positive.

Michael Ho review course.

Board certification is certainly not a requirement to work, as it sadly seems that board eligibility is good enough for most places.

Completely untrue. Do not disseminate false information on this board in a vain attempt to make the poster "feel better". Board certification is REQUIRED to be on staff at almost every hospital in the USA. No board certification = unemployment.

Board certification is certainly not a requirement to work, as it sadly seems that board eligibility is good enough for most places.

Well, let's be a little more specific with terms. "Board eligible" is not a bad thing, per se.

No new residency graduate is board certified on July 1st; everyone has a minimum period of time they are "board eligible" between graduation and the day they get the passing score notification from the oral exam. Even at best, it's the better part of a year. It would be crazy for hospitals to refuse to credential new grads because they were merely "board eligible". If a group is going to hire any new grad, they have to accept "board eligible".

The ABA has gotten in line with the ABMS time frame of 7 years of eligibility, so now you've got 7 years total to pass the written and the oral exam. During that 7 year period, you're not going to have trouble getting credentialed anywhere. If you have a failure or two and are still in that window, some groups might balk at hiring you, or granting partnership - that's a problem, but not necessarily an insurmountable one. There's also the time and expense involved in retaking exams, but at least you can find work during this period.

The real problem is exiting that 7 year eligibility period without passing both exams. If you aren't board certified at this point, you're absolutely going to have trouble getting hired, getting credentialed, and/or getting paid by insurance companies. Consigliere is right, board certification is not optional.

Reactions: 1 user

Sorry to hear you failed.

Everyone is different, but from what you describe it sounds to me like you spent plenty of time reading, but not enough time talking. 15 mock exams sounds like a lot, but it's probably only 6-8 hours of actual talking. You would get that much at a 2-3 day review course ... and even then, that's just a start, nowhere near enough.

Reading isn't good prep for the oral exam, unless you know you have significant knowledge gaps. If you do have big gaps, recognize you're well behind the curve, and realize that while more reading is necessary it absolutely won't be sufficient. You have to spend time talking, even if it's just by yourself. It takes time and repetition to turn the facts that you know into fluid, concise, coherent verbal answers. Talk to the wall, talk to the person or dog you live with, just talk.

I found it helpful to make a list of likely questions I might encounter, cockpit drills especially. Things like delayed emergence, elevated airway pressures. Or planning topics like periop beta blockade, mediastinal mass concerns, preop testing. Then I actually wrote down the words I would speak to answer those questions, then I spoke them, and revised them until they sounded as good spoken as they looked written. I memorized them like lines in a play and rehearsed them out loud. And when the examiners hit those questions, I hardly had to think at all to spit out a great answer.

I don't mean to imply I thought the oral exam was easy. I worried about passing up until the moment I saw the pass on screen, and I felt relief, not an urge to spike a football or something.

Study for a talking exam by talking.

Reactions: 1 users
Completely untrue. Do not disseminate false information on this board in a vain attempt to make the poster "feel better". Board certification is REQUIRED to be on staff at almost every hospital in the USA. No board certification = unemployment.

There's no need to be confrontational. What's with the quotations? Did I say anything about feeling better?

I'm not lying. Board certification is not required to be on staff in "almost every hospital in the USA". How are the hospitals or groups supposed hire new grads? Board eligibility is sufficient. And pgg is right about the 7-year eligibility period, so yes, you had better be board certified before that period is over. Having said this, there are also practicing anesthesiologists who have not even passed their written boards serving as department chairs in BFE.

I think I remember an email from the board stating that we were not to present ourselves as "board eligible" to potential employers, as that was not a status that they recognized. We were to be something like in the candidate system.

My current hospital gives new grads 3 years to become board certified. I have mentioned to them that the boards now give us 7 years, but that didn't change anything.

Failing the orals was one of the worst feelings I ever had, and it didn't entirely go away until I passed. That was such a wonderful feeling. I am not sure that anyone who doesn't fail at least one of the tests knows the exquisite joy that comes with passing it finally, but I wish as few people as possible have to experience that.

One thing I miss from that time period is that I was studying daily, something I don't do as diligently now, at least with the same intensity.

My state requires 150 CMEs per 3 year licencing cycle, so I do have some incentive to keep studying. But it isn't quite the same to do a CME activity as it is to study from review books.

anyone got results back from oct 12?
Long time Lurker, first time posting. Took my Orals on Oct 13th and thought I bombed it! Never felt this bad after an exam, got an email from ABA and found out that I passed!
I thank everyone on this board for all postings which have been helpful through this scenic journey.

I passed too. I thought the examiners were reasonable but I was worried since we didn't finish the last question in both sessions.
I started studying a couple months before the exam. Read board stiff too twice. Took a weekend review course in September which was the first time I did mock orals since I finished residency last year. I also read the review book that came with the course. However I don't believe that sitting in that classroom for 2 days listening to one person lecture was of any benefit. Then less than 2 wks b4 exam I did mock orals (abt 6) with a board examiner without which I def would have failed.

Out of curiosity, how much do online mock oral exams cost? Are there also in person mock exams? Are these with actual board examiners? I never knew such a thing existed.

Out of curiosity, how much do online mock oral exams cost? Are there also in person mock exams? Are these with actual board examiners? I never knew such a thing existed.

a lot. yes, but you have to travel. no, they're not allowed to do it for pay but some course examiners may be former ABA examiners.