Oral surgery death

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:whoa:

Awkward..........Don't mind me, I just lurk here.

And dentists tell patients they are allergic to epinephrine just like anesthesiologists sleep at the anesthesia machine. Might have happened before, but we both know it's not a common occurrence in real life.

But hey, I know, it's your forum. Trust me, not picking a fight here. I might be outnumbered.
I don't really understand why you quoted me; I just want to point out that I was not talking about any profession/specialty in particular, just about the act of telling a patient stupid things. (From my personal experience, it's not the dentists.)

What I meant is exactly what I said: "Those who don't know how little they know [tell the patients they are allergic to epinephrine]." It's just world-class stupid. Epi is the drug to treat a life-threatening allergic reaction, among other reasons because it's immunosupressant.

As an anesthesiologist, I have had many patients who came in "allergic" to one of my favorite drugs (and I use those specific drugs for a reason). 90% of the time the "allergy" was an absolutely normal and expected side-effect (most patients had a detailed story), many times a result of iatrogenic bad dosing/administration. And every single time I decided to ignore the "allergy" and use the drug, the patient did great.

I am looking forward to meeting a patient who's "allergic" to oxygen, for having had a nosebleed from unhumidified high flow; some busybody will surely document it in the EMR.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really understand why you quoted me; I just want to point out that I was not talking about any profession/specialty in particular, just about the act of telling a patient stupid things. (From my personal experience, it's not the dentists.)

What I meant is exactly what I said: "Those who don't know how little they know [tell the patients they are allergic to epinephrine]." It's just world-class stupid. Epi is the drug to treat a life-threatening allergic reaction, among other reasons because it's immunosupressant.

As an anesthesiologist, I have had many patients who came in "allergic" to one of my favorite drugs (and I use those specific drugs for a reason). 90% of the time the "allergy" was an absolutely normal and expected side-effect (most patients had a detailed story), many times a result of iatrogenic bad dosing/administration. And every single time I decided to ignore the "allergy" and use the drug, the patient did great.

I am looking forward to meeting a patient who's "allergic" to oxygen, for having had a nosebleed from unhumidified high flow; some busybody will surely document it in the EMR.

Sorry mate. Got confused in the back and forth. I'm definitely not allergic to confrontation. Thanks for letting me learn here.