Army Orders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any word on when our orders for residency will be cut?

Members don't see this ad.

Another question. When does our stipend stop?

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question. When does our stipend stop?
Varies by school I think. I had to get my school to submit paperwork on when I was done and I got an email from the AF letting me know when ny HPSP benefits end. My last rotation ends May 23, I graduate May 28th and I was told my benefits end June 1. I have to report to my residency June 2 so maybe it was based on that.

Reactions: 1 user
so they say in the generic email they sent to everyone, "dont sign any rental/housing/etc agreements until you have official orders" i'm guessing thats because of the, nothing-is-set-in-stone-with-the-government-until-you-have-orders deal (and even then things can change)?? so we are now less than two months out till we will be starting residency and still no orders. lots of good houses popping up and getting snatched just as quickly. i mean, last set of orders i was waiting on came shortly before i was set to start the rotation....kinda makes the logistics of finding a good house for the fam, striking the deal with the landlord or bank if you're buying, etc. hard. anyone in the past, or even now, just getting a place without waiting on them to take their time?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I received my orders on April 9th last year. I'd imagine you will be getting them soon

so they say in the generic email they sent to everyone, "dont sign any rental/housing/etc agreements until you have official orders" i'm guessing thats because of the, nothing-is-set-in-stone-with-the-government-until-you-have-orders deal (and even then things can change)?? so we are now less than two months out till we will be starting residency and still no orders. lots of good houses popping up and getting snatched just as quickly. i mean, last set of orders i was waiting on came shortly before i was set to start the rotation....kinda makes the logistics of finding a good house for the fam, striking the deal with the landlord or bank if you're buying, etc. hard. anyone in the past, or even now, just getting a place without waiting on them to take their time?

Starting residency is more set in stone than your typical orders. It's not like they are going to divert you to Korea last minute. Not yet anyway.

Starting residency is more set in stone than your typical orders. It's not like they are going to divert you to Korea last minute. Not yet anyway.

This.

Actually, this will be far from your last experience with last-minute orders; the military bureaucracy is quite tone-deaf in matters such as this. My advice: move now on getting a place to live. I signed the lease on the place I rented during residency on 1May during an elective rotation. Just make sure you get a military clause in the lease which will ensure you can get out of it on the infinitesimal chance your orders change.

If you're renting, get a place. SCRA is a federal law mandating that you be allowed out of a lease in case of a mandatory move. It is far easier (ie: pre-empts the possible need for an attorney) if the contract you sign also allows for this.
SCRA basically says that you have to give the property 30 days, and so you could possibly be out 1 months rent.

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-legal-matters/scra/scra-lease-termination-provisions.html

Military orders are unpredictable, and can change with the wind. You're safe, I think, when starting residency. There are only so many spots, so it's not like they'll move you from one MEDCEN to another. And they want you to have completed an internship at least.
After residency, you're awash in the same sea of BS as everyone else. My last set of orders came out two days after my RFO, and was for a completely different location. Somebody with a couple of stars on his chest decided my current station was too busy, and that they had to have another guy. Now, less than a year later, they're closing this location.
The fact is, nobody in the Army knows $#!T about what's going to happen in 2 weeks.

orders are starting to go out. classmate of mine got his. i got the email explaining what to do with them and other things to fill out....but i havent received the email with the link to download them yet

edit: :laugh: they showed up in the time between me posting this and clicking back to my email tab