Oregon State C/O 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! I got accepted OOS but have never actually been to Oregon and am wondering if those of you who live there can tell me how you like living there? I am from the mid-atlantic and go to school in New England so I'm worried it may be financially difficult for me to visit before the semester ends :-( Thank You!!!

Hi Everyone! I got accepted OOS but have never actually been to Oregon and am wondering if those of you who live there can tell me how you like living there? I am from the mid-atlantic and go to school in New England so I'm worried it may be financially difficult for me to visit before the semester ends :-( Thank You!!!

Honestly, I think you really should go out to see the program at Oregon State and evaluate it first hand. I am sure all the people who have seen the program and applied like it (I do!) but their interests and the value they place on programs can be very different from yours.

I am saying this because it is gonna be a program your in for 4 years, its a long ($$$) flight away from the east coast, and your going to pay OOS tuition (which adds up quickly). You really should evaluate the campus, the local community, the curriculum, and the faculty/staff so you know that you love the program before you make those commitments. I dont think that any amount of information provided by us could give you a enough of a feeling of what the program is like to make that commitment (... and remember, schools like VT, Penn, and etc dont accept transfer students).

Hopefully you will have a spring break to go and see the school :) ... and maybe you can see OSU after you interview with your IS program so that you can really evaluate it and make an informed decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who has been accepted received any kind of email past the acceptance email? I talked to Holly about a month ago and she said she'd be emailing out some kind of information packet or something to those who were accepted soon. I haven't received anything so I thought I'd ask!

Has anyone who has been accepted received any kind of email past the acceptance email? I talked to Holly about a month ago and she said she'd be emailing out some kind of information packet or something to those who were accepted soon. I haven't received anything so I thought I'd ask!

Nothing here. I have my UC-Davis interview in a couple weeks and was considering taking a trip up to Corvallis as well, just so I better know what my choices entail. An information packet would be nice.

I feel so impatient. I guess in the next couple of months people will make their decisions and that is when it will get moving.

Last edited:
I just had my interview for Oregon State a few hours ago. I think I did alright, but now I am at the nervous waiting stage. These next few weeks are not going to be fun :scared:.

I just had my interview for Oregon State a few hours ago. I think I did alright, but now I am at the nervous waiting stage. These next few weeks are not going to be fun :scared:.

Good luck! :luck: Do you know how long until you find out?

They said it usually takes 2 weeks, but it could be sooner or it could be later.

Woo! How exciting! You must feel relieved it's over. Were they nice? Did they really ask a math question?

Woo! How exciting! You must feel relieved it's over. Were they nice? Did they really ask a math question?

They were super nice and yes, I feel relief now that it is done. However, I am stress at the same time now that there is nothing that I can do.

I was surprised that they didn't ask me a math question. I think that they do it every couple of students and I happened to be one of the students not asked. It is generally an easy dosage calculation though.

Good luck PreVetBeaver!!! :luck:

I am sure you did great, I am so excited for you! I will be looking for you on the acceptance thread. :)

I loved Oregon State when I went out there. It was so different from east coast/midwest life style and I cant wait to move out to Oregon this summer :love: (I am crawling out of my skin living out here :hungover:). I am already making plans to apply next year as an IS'er.

Good luck PreVetBeaver!!! :luck:

I am sure you did great, I am so excited for you! I will be looking for you on the acceptance thread. :)

I loved Oregon State when I went out there. It was so different from east coast/midwest life style and I cant wait to move out to Oregon this summer :love: (I am crawling out of my skin living out here :hungover:). I am already making plans to apply next year as an IS'er.

West coast is definitely wonderful living. No matter where I go, I shall always return to the pacific ocean :)

Members don't see this ad :)
West coast is definitely wonderful living. No matter where I go, I shall always return to the pacific ocean :)

Yeah I agree! I have never been to an area where the apartments boast that they use eco-friendly pest control, have bicycle lanes on every road, and people brew beer like its there job... lol... I also cant wait for the cloudy rainy days too (yes, I am seriously excited about the notorious Oregon weather :)). I am so ready for the change of pace.

.... and i totally forgot to mention how beautiful the west coast country side is!!! There is some wonderful hiking out in the mountains... over winter break we would go hiking before dinner. I really lucked out on my visit because we got a couple beautiful days a sunshine, which made for fabulous pictures.

... now that i think of it, I really have only explored the north west and not the middle or southern parts of the west coast. So, I guess my impression probably isnt representative of the whole west coast. I hear CA is gorgeous too (but I wouldnt know).

Well if you want to see pictures of where I live, look up Donald trumps Los Angeles golf course (it ISN'T LA and no I do not like him) but I live 2 mins away. It is absolutely gorgeous. I also live near a nature preserve and tide pools below the cliff. So yes. California has beauty too down in the south land

Well if you want to see pictures of where I live, look up Donald trumps Los Angeles golf course (it ISN'T LA and no I do not like him) but I live 2 mins away. It is absolutely gorgeous. I also live near a nature preserve and tide pools below the cliff. So yes. California has beauty too down in the south land

Wow, your right, its beautiful :oops:. Looks like it has everything: rolling hills, sunshine, the ocean, and warm weather (I assume). My friend is attending Western and he has been super happy down south on the west coast.

Would any accepted students be willing to post their stats? I'm suuuper interested in seeing the IS ones. Thanks and congrats to all who were accepted! :thumbup:

I second kernel! Successful in-staters, come out of your hiding holes!!

I do not mind sharing my stats via private message. I am an accepted OOS applicant, though I am declining my spot for my in-state. I recieved a $1,000 scholarship as well.

Who has been accepted and is officially going to Oregon State?

I'll start:

Kanderson615 - OOS

I second kernel! Successful in-staters, come out of your hiding holes!!

Haha, I suppose it is time to poke my head out of the hole... I will post my stats on the acceptance thread later today.

I don't know how many other Oregon IS students there are on here for this cycle. It seems to me that most Oregon residents don't use SDN.

I am so excited to attend OSU and meet all my new classmates :D!

Class of 2016!
Kanderson615 - OOS
PreVetBeaver - IS

I am also an alternate waiting....I will be checking daily to see if anyone has heard anything!

I'm tired of waiting. I know it hasn't been that long but it feels like forever. :(

Wildlife woman, I totally understand. It is crazy that it has only been a month in a half. Hopefully things will start moving by April 15th.

Just got moved off the Alternate List, (in state) heard from Holly by e-mail today

for those of you who have decided OSU, what are you doing for housing?

Still not sure on that one. Finding a house/apartment is totally frustrating anyway, but it's awful when you're moving halfway across the country! Plus I have to wait to find out where my SO will be getting a job, but it looks like he might be in Eugene (an hour away from Corvallis for other OOS people). Sooo I might end up having to commute a little, but I'm trying to not be farther than 30 minutes away because I'm sure it'd be annoying if I ever wanted to meet and study after class and I lived an hour away.

Anyway, our plan right now is just to find a temporary place that will take us and our dogs, and once we get our bearings go from there.

If any current Oregon State vet students have any advice on this one, I would totally appreciate it!

I went to OSU for undergrad and am a current 3rd yr vet student there...here are some places to start:

Beware of Bula Realty (Red doors).
There are a lot of apartment complexes that accept pets - Mountain view, Witham Hill, Spring Creek/Creekside, etc...
There are a few 1 BR places w/in walking distance that don't accept pets on Western Ave.
You might throw an email out to Patrick Kamins and see if he can't forward it on to current vet students looking for roommates. Most classes also start a facebook group and try to find roommates on it so you can search on fb and see if that has been started or start one.
Craigslist? That is how I found my place.

For the person with the SO working in Eugene - Mt. View at Rivergreen is on the south end of town and most people that have to commute to Eugene live in that area (there are houses not just apartments in the area also)...might try to compromise so you are close and they commute (probably better that way!) There are a few vet students that live in Eugene though and do ride shares to campus.

Get on housing though, there is a shortage in this town and so it is better to find it early and pay a few extra months in rent than be homeless or settle for a place that is falling apart.

Something to also consider is that 4th year, when you are on clinics, you have to be within 15 minutes of school when you are on-call. There is an on-call room with bunks, but if you can live close to school, it's much more convenient. Not a big deal if you plan on moving each year like some people in our class have done, but personally I hate moving so I'd be looking for somewhere I didn't mind staying for a couple years.

There are several people from our class living in the Spring Creek/Creekside apartments, and I really like them, though they aren't the cheapest option out there.

My boyfriend and I are crazy, and we're bringing four dogs to Oregon with us. Does anyone know a place to live within ~thirty minutes of the school that will allow us so many dogs? Thanks :D

I would start by looking at Witham hill oaks apartments, Oak Vale (for smaller dogs I think), Spring Creek, Creekside, North Pointe. Also try looking at Pinion Property Management and Sterling Property Management for apartments opening up (tho most of these properties are not pet friendly).

I only know this because I spent some time in Corvallis and visited a few communities to know what I wanted. ... I guess it will have to wait for another year. At least this upcoming year I will me IS for OR :D

Good Luck Kanderson!!

Can someone tell me why the OSU vet school ranking is so low? I absolutely love Oregon and plan to move there so I can qualify as in state, but I am not sure why the school is ranked so low. Anyone has any basis for comparison with higher ranking schools like CSU or Davis?

Can someone tell me why the OSU vet school ranking is so low? I absolutely love Oregon and plan to move there so I can qualify as in state, but I am not sure why the school is ranked so low. Anyone has any basis for comparison with higher ranking schools like CSU or Davis?
Most vet students, applicants, and veterinarians don't place much stock in the rankings. My understanding is they are highly based off of opinions. Oregon State is a relatively new veterinary school and, due to this, has fewer alumni to positively rate it (not to mention, OSU has very small class sizes compared to some other schools). The class of 2007 was the first to not have to travel to Washington for their small animal coursework/rotations. Personally, I think OSU's relative "newness" compared to more well-established schools who have had the time necessary to create a positive impression nationwide, plays a major part in their ranking.

You can check out this article, which may be helpful in answering your question as well : http://veterinaryschools.com/resources/veterinary-school-rankings

Ultimately, I think OSU is a fantastic school with great facilities and opportunities! We'd love to have you in Oregon! :)