Oregon State University c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sblove17

Ohio State CVM c/o 2018!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who else is applying here?!

For those of you who have done or started the supplemental application, did you put average WEEKLY hours you worked/volunteered during school? The application doesn't specify... it only says "Avg # hours" -- thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been waiting for this thread all year. :love:

For those of you who have done or started the supplemental application, did you put average WEEKLY hours you worked/volunteered during school? The application doesn't specify... it only says "Avg # hours" -- thanks!

Last year it was "Average # Hrs / Week" if that helps. You can always call and ask, if you want to be sure. Michelle is wonderful.

I've been waiting for this thread all year. :love:

Last year it was "Average # Hrs / Week" if that helps. You can always call and ask, if you want to be sure. Michelle is wonderful.

Thanks kernel! I already left a message for them once today about something else, so I didn't want to call again and be obnoxious haha.

Are you loving OSU?? The more I read about it, the more I like it... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I LOVE that you started this. Poor little Oregon gets forgotten sometimes :)

When I applied, I put average weekly hours (rough estimates) for each term.

Yeah, my hours worked are a very rough estimate. It was 10 years ago,and I don't really remember, ha.
Yay Oregon!

I LOVE that you started this. Poor little Oregon gets forgotten sometimes :)

When I applied, I put average weekly hours (rough estimates) for each term.

Yeah, my hours worked are a very rough estimate. It was 10 years ago,and I don't really remember, ha.
Yay Oregon!

Thanks! I just spoke with someone in the office and she said to record the hours in the way that is easiest for us.... so she said I could do weekly or total hours. There isn't a place to specify which way you choose haha so I guess they'll just figure it out!

My hours will definitely be rough estimates as well.

Are you loving OSU?? The more I read about it, the more I like it... :thumbup:

Classes haven't started yet! :laugh: :oops: Our orientation is on the 25th, so two weeks from today. I do love Oregon in general though, and what little time I've spent on campus and at the vet school has been great.

Classes haven't started yet! :laugh: :oops: Our orientation is on the 25th, so two weeks from today. I do love Oregon in general though, and what little time I've spent on campus and at the vet school has been great.

I'm actually really anxious for classes to start already! I see every other c/o 2017 member already starting (some in their 5-6 week!) and I'm getting soooo impatient!

I'm actually really anxious for classes to start already! I see every other c/o 2017 member already starting (some in their 5-6 week!) and I'm getting soooo impatient!

Me too, but these next two weeks will fly by. :)

Good luck to everyone applying to OSU this year!!! Very exciting :D :D ... I already love my school :love: For OOSers, if you find yourself visiting the campus over winter break (or something like that) let Patrick Kamins know. He will give you a tour, and they can set up tours with students too ;) ... at least when I was an OOS applicant they said they take note of that when reviewing your file (so whatever helps right?!)

...oh and for ISers, heads up, they are doing MMI format this year for interviews (i think).

Agh! I move (or move in more "officially") into my apartment next weekend. ... I have been paying rent for a month already :eek:

Are you guys excited yet?!?

I am so happy we avoided the MMI format when we intereviewed (IS anyways). I'm not sure I would be able to do well in that format.

And I second what Virginger said! Contact Patrick and he will arrange a tour and discussion with other students and yes, they do keep record of who visits and when, which you also mark on your supplemental app.

Good luck with moving in! Moving is stressful and such a hassle!

Good luck to everyone applying to OSU this year!!! Very exciting :D :D ... I already love my school :love: For OOSers, if you find yourself visiting the campus over winter break (or something like that) let Patrick Kamins know. He will give you a tour, and they can set up tours with students too ;) ... at least when I was an OOS applicant they said they take note of that when reviewing your file (so whatever helps right?!)

...oh and for ISers, heads up, they are doing MMI format this year for interviews (i think).

Agh! I move (or move in more "officially") into my apartment next weekend. ... I have been paying rent for a month already :eek:

Are you guys excited yet?!?

Thanks Suomi!

Has anyone else been "nesting" before school? I have totally been OCD about shopping for the necessary apartment items to make life bearable during school... lol

Thanks Suomi!

Has anyone else been "nesting" before school? I have totally been OCD about shopping for the necessary apartment items to make life bearable during school... lol

Oh totally. I have slowly but surely been stocking up on tea since I got here. I have the right blend for every mood now, and every "studying situation" (e.g. just getting comfy on a rainy afternoon, or late-night pre-exam cram sesh). I also spent weeks on craigslist, waiting to pounce on the right desk when it popped up...I ended up driving down to Eugene to pick "the one" up (it's amazing). :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally submitted my supplemental application! Even though the essays were short, I spent a LOT of time on them. The directions said to keep answers under 200 words, which I did, but then when I went to copy my answers into the response boxes (I typed them in Microsoft Word first), I saw that I could only have 1,000 characters. Of course I was WAY over this limit, so I just spent another 1.5 hours cutting my beautiful essays :(

oh, vet school...

PS - did anyone get any sort of confirmation e-mail or message after submitting? I didn't get anything. Maybe they manually e-mail applicants (??), in which case I wouldn't expect anything today since it is Sunday...:confused:

I got an email from them when I submitted my VMCAS, telling me what things I was missing (I hadn't turned in the supplemental, they hadn't received my GRE scores, I seemed to be missing a pre-req, etc.). That email was from their admissions coordinator, who had looked over my application manually. After I submitted everything, they sent a confirmation email that my application was complete.

This one is taking me forever!! One part because I can't decide on a challenge faced, and one part because of the character limit. Hopefully I'll be done tonight.

I got an email from them when I submitted my VMCAS, telling me what things I was missing (I hadn't turned in the supplemental, they hadn't received my GRE scores, I seemed to be missing a pre-req, etc.). That email was from their admissions coordinator, who had looked over my application manually. After I submitted everything, they sent a confirmation email that my application was complete.

I paid for my VMCAS app to be sent to OSU when I submitted on Sept. 1 and never got an e-mail about missing items (I had my GRE scores sent in the summer, but just submitted/paid the supplemental today...). Hopefully I will get a confirmation e-mail this week.

This one is taking me forever!! One part because I can't decide on a challenge faced, and one part because of the character limit. Hopefully I'll be done tonight.

**a challenge faced... written in under 1000 characters haha. I actually used the extra response box for that essay. Denoting which question I was continuing ate up some characters, but I had about 190 extra to use, so you can always try that.

I definitely feel your pain. I don't think the app was intended to be so time consuming, but I spent a ton of time on it too.

Got a confirmation e-mail today stating that my application is complete :)

Let the waiting begin!

Submitted! That was by far the most difficult supplemental for me!! The word/character count really made me think.

Good luck to everyone!!!

So super excited. I am an out of stater and I took the advice from a previous thread and scheduled an interview with the admissions advisor and a student led tour to get a feel for the campus and ask questions to the counselor. THEY ARE SUPER NICE HERE! the admissions staff is really small so you a get a really personal feel when you talk to them. Also the campus has really nice facilities :) Just though you guys might be interested to know, they will most likely be sending out notices in the first week of december! so soon! so glad we don't have to wait so long. Good luck to everyone, If you go here I'm sure you'll think the campus is beautiful too. oh fyi not sure if anyone knew this I learned only recently they are they only vet school on the quarter system. huh....

Reactions: 1 user
I'd love to go visit Oregon again, and soon- I've been dying for some Dutch Brothers and Cafe Yumm!

I'd love to go visit Oregon again, and soon- I've been dying for some Dutch Brothers and Cafe Yumm!
it so funny you say that I totally didn't get the chance to check out coravallis enough, including dutch brothers! I had to rush in and out... fall 2013 classes -_-

I'm pretty sure Cafe Yumm is exclusive to Oregon, but I think Dutch Bros has locations in California too. I'm jealous....there are certainly none in NJ!

oh fyi not sure if anyone knew this I learned only recently they are they only vet school on the quarter system. huh....

They're working on possibly changing this in the not-too-distant future.

OOS non WICHE here...... Wonder if anybody heard anything yet

OOS- non-WICHE. Is there an OSU portal I'm suppose to be checking? My application vanished as soon as I submitted it; when I emailed Admissions regarding how to check my status, I received an email letting me know they were missing things and then we emailed back and forth until my application was complete & now not a peep since late Sept. I never got a direct answer from them if there was a portal I could check and didn't want to ask again and be pushy.
Disappointed they don't do OOS interviews anymore.

Does anyone know when rejections come out and interviews?

Per admissions when I submitted my supplemental: "File review will begin in mid-October and decisions/interviews (OR residents only) will take place between December-January."

Last year, I believe acceptances came out early December and rejections/waitlists in early January. Fingers crossed we start to hear soon!

0mg so I know stuff is supposed to be sent out the first week of december..... so whats the hold up!!! lol its day 3 of the first week! haha

Just got an email saying I have been selected as an alternate...I'm taking that as good news right now

I got an email that I am an alternate as well! (OOS). Anyone else get good news??

Reactions: 1 users
ringdahl and sblove17 CONGRATS!!!!
Out of curiosity, are you NS OOS or WICHE?

Looks like last year they sent out most of the notifications on the same day (acceptances on 12/5 for OOS, rejections 1/3). So congrats to those of you who heard good news today!

I am also out of state, non wiche, and I received an email saying I'm an alternate. Anyone know how many alternates there are total?

I received my email today! Dec. 6th @ 10:50AM: I'm an alternate! This is the first school I've heard from, I'm OOS and they are tiny, so I'm super stoked! There's still hope... :)

Although it does sound like there are quite a few alternates... I asked for more info so I'll keep you posted but who knows O.O

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who received an alternate!! :-D

Even though I'm inclined to think I was rejected at this point, I'm holding out hope until we hear of someone who received an acceptance... :-/

Even though I'm inclined to think I was rejected at this point, I'm holding out hope until we hear of someone who received an acceptance... :-/
Yes, maybe acceptances haven't gone out yet??

Does anyone know if OSU ranks alternates and/or if they over-accept?

I'm in the same boat. I also don't know if it's too late now for them to send out any more emails so I should probably stop checking..........

So from what I've read from past years, OSU does over-accept and has quite a few alternates, (that are also unranked) however it sounds like they have a really good turnover once offers start coming in from other schools, and quite a few people do get offers off the list. (Even after April!)

So things are still looking really good for all of you who are alternates, since the admissions decision season has only just begun!

I am a NS OOS Alternate as well! Hopefully there aren't TOO many of us, but congrats yall!

Did all of the alternate emails get sent this morning? Wondering if it's time to stop checking my email.