Organic Chemistry for most DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shimaMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Can someone please tell me how many organic chemistry (with or without lab) courses do you need for majority of the DO schools? Or in semester hours?

I have taken 1 organic chemistry course with lab, and another organic chemistry course without lab. Is that enough to apply to majority of the DO schools?

Your help is appreciated guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Can someone please tell me how many organic chemistry (with or without lab) courses do you need for majority of the DO schools? Or in semester hours?

I have taken 1 organic chemistry course with lab, and another organic chemistry course without lab. Is that enough to apply to majority of the DO schools?

If it is 6 credit hours for the lecture and 2 credit hours for lab combine ... A total of 8 credit hours, you should be ok...My school has organic chem somewhat like that. Organic I is only 3 credits without a lab and Organic II is 5 credits with the lab being 2 credits.

If it is 6 credit hours for the lecture and 2 credit hours for lab combine ... A total of 8 credit hours, you should be ok...My school has organic chem somewhat like that. Organic I is only 3 credits without a lab and Organic II is 5 credits with the lab being 2 credits.

2 labs aren't required? Im enrolled in 5 credits of Ochem 2 in the Spring...and just took 5 in the fall. I could only take lecture of 3 credits and be fine? I don't know why I didn't think of that..I could kiss you. (It's my bday).

Members don't see this ad :)
2 labs aren't required? Im enrolled in 5 credits of Ochem 2 in the Spring...and just took 5 in the fall. I could only take lecture of 3 credits and be fine? I don't know why I didn't think of that..I could kiss you. (It's my bday).

2 labs are not required per se...If the one lab you took is 2 credits, you are good to go.

Schools are different, for example UNECOM only requires 1 semester of organic with lab, while others require 2 semesters with labs.

Schools are different, for example UNECOM only requires 1 semester of organic with lab, while others require 2 semesters with labs.

But don't you still need Orgo 2 to do the MCAT? Or is there really nothing on the MCAT that isn't in Organic 1?

Smurturf, you can self learn. Similar to how not all schools require physics, yet it's tested on the MCAT.

I had two 4 credit lectures and one 1 credit lab for a total of 9 credits of ochem, and every DO school except AZCOM and PCOM told me it was fine when I emailed them. I took biochem though, and some schools let you use that to replace some of the ochem.

Smurturf, you can self learn. Similar to how not all schools require physics, yet it's tested on the MCAT.

Are there other schools besides MSUCOM that don't require physics? I don't exactly understand why it wouldn't be required, but hey, I don't make the rules. :cool:

Is it even possible to accurately group DO schools by their organic requirement?

I took one organic chem class which was 4 credits total (2 credits for lab and 2 for lecture) and then I took another ochem course for 2 credits ( lecture only) am i good to go?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took one organic chem class which was 4 credits total (2 credits for lab and 2 for lecture) and then I took another ochem course for 2 credits ( lecture only) am i good to go?

I didn't look anything up, but something tells me the requirement is 8 credits.

Nope...You need at least 8 credits ... 6 credits for lecture and 2 credits for lab.

Nope...You need at least 8 credits ... 6 credits for lecture and 2 credits for lab.
Oh I see. What if you have taken biochemistry courses? I heard that if you have taken biochemistry courses, it will make up for my missing 2 credits of ochem. Is that true?

Oh wait, you mentioned you need 6 credits for lecture and 2 credits for lab right?
well there are the courses I took:

Ochem with lab (4 credits total)
Ochem no lab (2 credits total)

Wouldnt both Ochems total to 6 credits of lecture and 2 credits of lab. Or do you have to cut the 4 credits in half, and dedicate 2 credits to the lab portion?

Oh wait, you mentioned you need 6 credits for lecture and 2 credits for lab right?
well there are the courses I took:

Ochem with lab (4 credits total)
Ochem no lab (2 credits total)

Wouldnt both Ochems total to 6 credits of lecture and 2 credits of lab. Or do you have to cut the 4 credits in half, and dedicate 2 credits to the lab portion?

You have a total of 6 credits, which is not enough...You need 8 credits total (6 lecture + 2 lab). How many credits was the lab by itself in the one you took with lab? At my school, classes with labs are two different entities. They appear separated in the transcript. Some schools substitute biochem for Ochem, others DO NOT.

Depending on the school, regardless of the credits ect, you need 2 lecture components and 2 lab components for schools that want 8 credits of ochem. Doesn't matter how many credits each are, cause all schools are different.

Depending on the school, regardless of the credits ect, you need 2 lecture components and 2 lab components for schools that want 8 credits of ochem. Doesn't matter how many credits each are, cause all schools are different.

My schools has a 2-credit one lab component for Ochem. Every med school accept it.

With that as the clarification, of having a 2 credit lab that would be the same as two 1 credit labs.

Hello everyone,

minimum is 8 credits total = ochem 1 and 2 both including labs. Don't worry about credits because every school is different.

Simply take Organic chemistry 1 w/ lab 1 and organic chemistry 2 w/ lab 2. That's it.

minimum is 8 credits total = ochem 1 and 2 both including labs. Don't worry about credits because every school is different.

Simply take Organic chemistry 1 w/ lab 1 and organic chemistry 2 w/ lab 2. That's it.

Not necessarily. It certainly works that way if that's how your universities makes it fit credit-wise. If the requirement is 8 credits... then you need 8 credits. Some universities have ochem lecture as 3 credits each (ochem 1 and ochem 2) and a ochem 2 lab as 2 credits. Bam, your 8 credits right there.

Not necessarily. It certainly works that way if that's how your universities makes it fit credit-wise. If the requirement is 8 credits... then you need 8 credits. Some universities have ochem lecture as 3 credits each (ochem 1 and ochem 2) and a ochem 2 lab as 2 credits. Bam, your 8 credits right there.

I don't understand. I'm pretty sure that's what I meant. As long as you take ochem 1/2 w both labs.

I don't understand. I'm pretty sure that's what I meant. As long as you take ochem 1/2 w both labs.

Ok so now I'm confused. Is it both labs or 8 credits?

I didn't take the first Ochem lab, but I did have 8 credits which is what is required. If at your school 8 credits is both lectures and both labs, then that's what you need to do to get the 8 credits.

Last edited: