Organic chemistry I online or self-study for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwanttopulloutteeth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done a lot of searching and no college in my state or even the nearest state offers organic chemistry I in the Spring semester:dead:. So it looks like my only options are UNE's online organic chemistry or self-studying both organic 1 and 2 for my DAT... I saw some people on the DO forum having success with the course and admission, but I know d school is a different ballgame.
Here's a description of the online course:
Online Organic Chemistry I: CHEM 1020 is designed to meet the organic chemistry prerequisite for individuals who are applying for admission to health profession programs. The course is a one semester course with a virtual laboratory that emphasizes those aspects of organic chemistry that are relevant to the study of human health and metabolism

I was thinking about trying to rush through the online course at the end of this semester, which would allow me to take organic II in the Spring at the local uni where I'm doing my post-bacc. If not, I will take organic II in the Summer while studying for the DAT.+pity+

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you've never taken Orgo before, then I strongly recommend you take it within a physical class setting. Orgo is definitely not one of those things you can pass off and learn online - you need to do practice questions like a madman and get as much involvement as you can. I won't say taking the physical lab is necessary (6 hours in a lab setting every week gets tiresome very quickly), but it may help you visualize the reactions in real-time versus just as flow diagrams on paper.

That said, I believe there was only some minimal Orgo II material on the DAT, although I don't know if this has changed since 2013 (when I took my DAT). Most of your focus should be on completing and fully grasping the concepts of Orgo I.

Just my $0.02. You may learn completely differently from me, but I felt that practice questions/reactions were essential to understanding orgo well.

Reactions: 1 users
Purchase a cheap organic chemistry textbook online with a solutions manual (e.g., Paula Bruice's book with the solutions manual), and subscribe for Chad's College Organic Chemistry videos. After you watch his videos for a section, read that chapter and do practice problems. Guaranteed to be as good if not better than a college course in organic chemistry.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you've never taken Orgo before, then I strongly recommend you take it within a physical class setting. Orgo is definitely not one of those things you can pass off and learn online - you need to do practice questions like a madman and get as much involvement as you can. I won't say taking the physical lab is necessary (6 hours in a lab setting every week gets tiresome very quickly), but it may help you visualize the reactions in real-time versus just as flow diagrams on paper.

That said, I believe there was only some minimal Orgo II material on the DAT, although I don't know if this has changed since 2013 (when I took my DAT). Most of your focus should be on completing and fully grasping the concepts of Orgo I.

Just my $0.02. You may learn completely differently from me, but I felt that practice questions/reactions were essential to understanding orgo well.

Thank you for that.
So in your opinion, which of these do you think would be the best route:
1) Just wait until next Summer to take in-class Orgo I while preparing for the DAT
2) Online Orgo 1 ==> see how much I felt like I learned and if not much take it again but in-class during the Summer while preparing for the DAT
3) Online Orgo 1 ==> orgo 2 during Summer while preparing for the DAT

Right now I'm leaning towards #2 or #3. This way I will at least be exposed to Orgo before the summer I start studying for the DAT. I would be using Organic Chemistry as a 2nd Language, Chad's videos, and what not to help cement the knowledge. Maybe if I'm lucky I can finish the online course in December and then start in-class Orgo II in the Spring semester.

#2 seems like a good option - you definitely need exposure before you start studying for the DAT. Of course you may learn differently from me, so maybe you'll fully grasp everything in Orgo after that online course :).

Is the online course a professor lecturing? If so, I recommend option 3. Orgo 2 will be very helpful for the DAT.

Also, Chads videos covers every topic on the DAT when it comes to the orgo. It would be hard to learn the material first from that quick of an overview but it is possible.

Best of luck

Is the online course a professor lecturing? If so, I recommend option 3. Orgo 2 will be very helpful for the DAT.

Also, Chads videos covers every topic on the DAT when it comes to the orgo. It would be hard to learn the material first from that quick of an overview but it is possible.

Best of luck

To my understanding, the professor of the course records the lectures and you are able to watch them whenever you like. He/she also puts up the accompanying PowerPoint slides.

Thanks everyone

It depends on you and your study methods. What has worked well for you in other courses?