Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Organic Chemistry Question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by roycer, 06.26.07.

1. roycer

roycer

SDN 2+ Year Member
  2. LC17

LC17

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  3. saqrfaraj

saqrfaraj PGY-2

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    No, it's sp2. The nitrogen is bound to two carbons, one hydrogen, and the lone pair is in the empty p-orbital.
  4. roycer

roycer

SDN 2+ Year Member
    sp2 is what I figured too. Kaplan says it is sp3 for some reason, and that the sp3 hybridized orbitals overlap with the p-orbitals of the other carbons to form the conjugated ring. That just sounds wrong.
  5. MystA RavE

MystA RavE

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Its sp3, NOT sp2. There are 4 regions of electron density due to the lone pair of electrons on the N.
  6. saqrfaraj

saqrfaraj PGY-2

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    First, you don't count lone pairs when figuring out the hybridization. Secondly, the nitrogen is attached to two carbons which are both sp2 hybridized and therefore must also be sp2 hybridized if it is to overlap for maximum stability.
  7. riceman04

riceman04

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  8. roycer

roycer

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Since pyrrole is conjugated, it also must be planar. My reasoning is that the nitrogen is sp2 hybridized (2 sp2 orbitals are bonded to an adjacent carbon and 1 sp2 orbital is bonded to the hydrogen) forming a planar geometry. The lone pair of electrons is in a nonhybridized p-orbital perpendicular to this plane and conjugated with the p-orbitals of the other carbons (which are also sp2).
  9. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    to calculate hybridization you do: # of lone pairs + # of sigma bonds. Therefore, 1+3=4 --> sp3
  10. saqrfaraj

saqrfaraj PGY-2

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Okay, guys. We know pyrrole is aromatic so it needs the lone pair on the nitrogen to get the necessary six electrons. To form the conjugated system, the lone pair has to be in the plane above the atoms. This cannot happen if the nitrogen is sp3 hybridized. It MUST be sp2 hybridized to be aromatic.
  11. EECStoMed

EECStoMed Persistence > Intel

SDN 2+ Year Member

It is SP3 no doubt, but can undergo sp2 hybridization, which is what it does. Who the hell said that you don't count lone pairs when doing hybridization? What would that make ammonia then?
  12. koopa_troopa

koopa_troopa Junior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Roycer, you are correct, it is sp2. If you still have your organic chem text book you can check it out, this is a fairly common example in any aromatic compound chapter.
  13. saqrfaraj

saqrfaraj PGY-2

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Yes, the four things attached to nitrogen would give an sp3 hybridization but pyrrole is aromatic and so the nitrogen has to become sp2 hybridized. So when talking about the aromatic molecule wouldn't we say it's sp2?

When I said you don't count the lone pair, I only meant in this case because it has to be up in the plane above the atoms. I was just trying to conceptually explain how the three OTHER things contributed to the trigonal planar character. I admit, I didn't word it right.
  14. spicedmanna

spicedmanna In Memory of Riley Jane Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The nitrogen in the ring is clearly sp2 hybridized. Normally, the nitrogen would be sp3 hybridized, but it must rehybridize to sp2 so that the lone pair of electrons can be delocalized into the pi-system of the ring and that the molecule can be aromatic. What we see here is that aromaticity is highly favored.
  15. scotties123

scotties123 GrandMacDaddy

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    ok, i just googled it and checked a few different websites. The ones i checked seem to agree that BENZENE is sp2. I assume because of its aromaticity, that pyrrole would also be sp2. Good thing i learned this now and not after taking the mcat:laugh:
  16. roycer

roycer

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you. sp2 it is. :)
  17. killinsound

killinsound

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN 7+ Year Member
    1. yes you do

2. that doesn't make sense. if you had propene, one of the carbons is still sp3 hybridized

lastly, someone said something about pyrrole being planar so it had to be sp2... the nitrogen could have the two carbon bonds in one plane and the lone pair and the hydrogen in another making it Sp3.

however, aromaticity always prevails and for this reason alone, the nitrogen must donate its e- into the ring making it Sp2.
  18. saqrfaraj

saqrfaraj PGY-2

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    1. Yep. I know you do. Check up a few posts.
    2. Propene is not an aromatic ring. We're talking ring stability.
  19. powerful_squib

powerful_squib Snoop dogg resident

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  20. saqrfaraj

saqrfaraj PGY-2

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Even if you had it that way, the lone pair wouldn't be sticking straight up at 90 degrees so I don't think it'd work. It needs to be sp2 for it to be aromatic.
  21. roycer

roycer

SDN 2+ Year Member

I completely agree with you saqrfaraj. Aromaticity gives molecules special stability due to the parallel overlap of p-orbitals. It just wouldn't work if the nitrogen was sp3 hybridized.
  22. J DUB

J DUB Watch my TAN walk!! Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    Pharmacist Rocket Scientist NCPA SDN 7+ Year Member
    Correct answer above: sp2

since the lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen delocalize into the aromatic ring, if it were not aromatic, then it would be sp3.
  23. BrokenGlass

BrokenGlass

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal