Organic Chemistry Self Study Book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spmac89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the Student Doctor Network, and I've search this posts. I've read some people saying not to study Orgo ahead, yet I still want to look over before my class starts in the Fall. (Because I'm taking classes as Post-Bac, I think I won't have much time after volunteering and studying)

My school uses Wade's Organic Chemistry 8th Edition, yet I don't think it fits me. (The book does not explain everything. I guess when you are taking class, it might be easier) I was wondering if anyone can give me an advice on what textbook is a good textbook for me to self study before my class actually starts.

The lists are:

Klein's Organic Chemistry
Wade's Organic Chemistry
Smith's Organic Chemistry
Brown's Organic Chemistry
McMurry's Organic Chemistry

Can someone help me out to choose a textbook that is easy to follow and understand?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say enough about the book Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. They even have an organic chemistry II version. Not a textbook, but it's a great supplement.

Reactions: 1 user
^ I agree. It's a great starting point, but definitely not enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to try Bruice Organic Chemistry 7th edition- I was a bit put off by the reviews but I personally found it to be very straightforward

Everyone will have their own opinion on this, but I think the best way to get your feet wet with orgo would be an Orgo MCAT study guide. Anything more than that would probably be too much detail and useless to study at this point. I used the Princeton Review book in the middle of the semester and everything all of a sudden made sense after that.

Klein's, it's really a no brainer. His 2nd language work books are fantastic, but his textbook is even better. I didn't even bother going to class for O-Chem 2, his text is good enough to self teach from.

Hello, I'm new to the Student Doctor Network, and I've search this posts. I've read some people saying not to study Orgo ahead, yet I still want to look over before my class starts in the Fall. (Because I'm taking classes as Post-Bac, I think I won't have much time after volunteering and studying)

My school uses Wade's Organic Chemistry 8th Edition, yet I don't think it fits me. (The book does not explain everything. I guess when you are taking class, it might be easier) I was wondering if anyone can give me an advice on what textbook is a good textbook for me to self study before my class actually starts.

The lists are:

Klein's Organic Chemistry
Wade's Organic Chemistry
Smith's Organic Chemistry
Brown's Organic Chemistry
McMurry's Organic Chemistry

Can someone help me out to choose a textbook that is easy to follow and understand?

Before class know Lewis structures well. Otherwise follow along with the OCL book, also purchase the wade answer key (this was ****ing gold for me). At the end of every chapter I rocked the nomenclature, fill in the blank for reagents/reactants/ products and synthesis and mechanism problems. It takes a lot of hard work /dedication but I was able to achieve comfortable A's for 1&2 doing this.

Yeah I think a lot of premeds freak out before o-chem because they've heard its so hard and difficult, but really a lot of the concepts are quite straightforward. The key is to keep up with all the material and never ever fall behind, because then it's a pain in the ass.

Yeah I think a lot of premeds freak out before o-chem because they've heard its so hard and difficult, but really a lot of the concepts are quite straightforward. The key is to keep up with all the material and never ever fall behind, because then it's a pain in the ass.

This is so right. Due to its reputation, I had ochem on some sort of pedestal before I took the class. With that attitude I studied my ass off and did extremely well in both ochems.

An yes when you get behind, you go from being able to understand reactions to trying to just take a look at every possible reaction and hope something sticks before the test.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely look over the Klein's Organic Chemistry as a 2nd language book. Plus, I might buy Klein's Organic Chemistry book to check it out.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys, I'll definitely look over the Klein's Organic Chemistry as a 2nd language book. Plus, I might buy Klein's Organic Chemistry book to check it out.

The solutions manual can be found online as a free pdf, it's really nice to have. Also since Klein teaches at Johns Hopkins he seem to work in as many medically related topics and examples as he can.

Wade is really good I loved it. I heard Klein is good as well.