Organic Chemistry textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunwayModel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there ANY Organic Chemistry textbook out there that emphasizes conceptual understanding of mechanisms rather than rote memorization?

I understand there is going to be SOME memorization needed, however, it just seems like each textbook is arranged the same way (by functional group) and you end up memorizing a laundry list of reactions for each functional group. I would like a textbook I could actually refer to while studying for the MCATs.

Organic Chemistry textbooks that I know of (I just listed the authors as the titles are all the usual Organic Chemistry)
  • Francis Carey
  • Leroy Wade
  • Graham Solomons
  • John McMurry
  • William H. Brown, Christopher S. Foote
  • Peter C. Vollhardt and Neil E. Schore

Tell me any experiences good or bad with the above or any others.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Carey's textbook is pretty decent.
Carey's kicks ass. I'd definitely recommend this one. It is organized by functional group, but my organic chem class heavily relied on understanding of concepts rather than memorization, and I felt the book reflected this.

I also used Carey and highly recommend it. Even though it's divided by functional group, they teach you the concepts behind the mechanisms/reactions.

Is there ANY Organic Chemistry textbook out there that emphasizes conceptual understanding of mechanisms rather than rote memorization?

It's out of print now, but a book by Oulette is perfect for the MCAT. It is conceptually based at looks are reactions in a general sense by functional groups.

I think this is the book berkreviewteach is referring to..it's on amazon.

Organic chemistry : a brief introduction / Robert J. Ouellette