Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio

cheese steaks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably the wrong place to post this but I just got my results for my first ever Orgo exam.

The class average was a 72, I got a 72.

Is that good, bad, could be better? I studied a little bit and felt that the information wasn't too bad. I found I made some silly mistakes but I just have to chalk it up and move on and try harder?

Advice? Drop orgo? drop the premed track?

*dead*:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

Members don't see this ad.

obviously could be better. but lol @ the thought of dropping pre-med over this. it's not that big of a deal. just study harder next test and watch out for stupid mistakes.

Deep breath. It's fine. You probably didn't know the content as well as you thought you did. Go to office hours next time, watch the khan academy videos (they are good), and make sure you are doing practice problem sets regularly. Ochem is all practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deep breath. It's fine. You probably didn't know the content as well as you thought you did. Go to office hours next time, watch the khan academy videos (they are good), and make sure you are doing practice problem sets regularly. Ochem is all practice.
This. Practice Problems. Learn it. Don't memorize it.

This. Practice Problems. Learn it. Don't memorize it.

Exactly right. Practice, practice, and again, practice. Want to stay pre med? Stay. A 72 in a single exam will NOT make your career. In fact, depending on your next few exam scores, there is a good chance that it won't even be very influential to your course grade in that class (assuming you have a nice number of exams to take).

It's not a great sign, but you have plenty of time to figure out what you're doing wrong and get better.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with what was said about learning instead of memorizing. That makes a world of difference in organic.

Review the concepts that you missed on the first exam. Everything in Organic builds on itself. Study harder for the next exams and everything will be okay.

72 is not bad at all, considering the class average on the first exam in my class, after a 15 point curve... was a 46. You got more than enough time and exams left to recover from a well taken exam score of 72. Just study smarter, like everyone reiterates here, practice problems practice practice problem are key. And do make sure to understand the subject matter at this stage really well, like Strudel19 said, it all builds on itself.