Organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheNerdiestRedneck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there friends,
I am a junior at Randolph-Macon College in Virginia, with a fairly low GPA, primarily due to the fact that I have a difficult time with chemistry. I retook gen chem and was able to bring a D to a B, then received a B- in Quantitative, and a C+ in Inorganic. My problem now is with Or go. I got a D in the first section, and now it appears that I will likely get the same in the second semester. I go to tutors, go to the professors, do practice problems, and study with a classmate, so I'm honestly at a loss for what else I can possibly do. I already plan on retaking both next year, but my question is, how bad will it look to vet schools if I get D's in both Orgos, but get, say, B's when I retake them? I know that those two D's aren't good for my GPA, but I already plan on taking off 4 years or so to take some classes (Biochem, Physics, and a couple of animal science classes), and continue gaining experience (I currently have ~1200 SA/Exotic, ~150 Equine, and ~50 LA). I really want to get into my state school, VA-MD, if you happen to know what they specifically would think about it.

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to look at schools that do grade replacement. Most will average your retake and your first attempt which will put the grade at a C. It's not impossible to get in with retaking classes, but it does make things tougher. I think taking the time off will do you good. It sounds like there's something up with your study habits.

Also, don't settle for B's at retake. Shoot for A's. If you tell yourself you have no capacity to do better, then you won't. So make it happen, but also take care of yourself and figure out what's inhibiting you to perform to potential.

You may want to look at schools that do grade replacement. Most will average your retake and your first attempt which will put the grade at a C. It's not impossible to get in with retaking classes, but it does make things tougher. I think taking the time off will do you good. It sounds like there's something up with your study habits.

Also, don't settle for B's at retake. Shoot for A's. If you tell yourself you have no capacity to do better, then you won't. So make it happen, but also take care of yourself and figure out what's inhibiting you to perform to potential.

Thanks for the advice! I have fairly substantial issues with depression and anxiety (for several years, but only recently started seeing a therapist), so that certainly contributes to my academic performance. That's also a reason why I'm taking some time off, try to sort myself out a bit before adding the pressures of vet school.

You will have to retake those classes you got lower than a C. If you are having trouble with anxiety during tests or in general, you should definitely seek help and see if your school can make testing arrangements for it to get it under control. Once you address that underlying issue, it should help your grades.

Yes, most schools average the two scores. That is what they did with my two classes I had to retake. It does make it tougher but not impossible. Rock is right; shoot for A's on the retake.

Reactions: 1 user