Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted433231

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard doing road maps help but if you know the general reactions Sn1, Sn2, E1, E2, acylation, grignard, etc, then you will be fine.

Practice all road maps but that is not enough.. Make sure you know all problems in organic destroyer. Know some basic mechanisms but its not required ( it helps thought).

Review the destroyer questions but pay attention to the answer explanations. The roadmaps are useful as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone's making out the ochem section to be a lot harder than it is...
I was terrible at ochem (didn't even know Sn1/2, E1/2 mech) but i only studied Kaplan and that was sufficient for me to get a 22 on the DAT ochem and a 400 (100%) on my OAT ochem (same test basically because its made by the same people).

You can also look into Organic Edge by Kaplan. When I signed up for the onsite class, they didn't ship me my book until 3 weeks into the class. I was pretty pissed off and asked for something in return since it was so unprofessional of them to not order enough books. They gave me a free subscription to Organic edge and honestly, the videos are very good. It will help you understand the BASIC concepts. After that, you really just have to memorize the different reactions.

You can learn the different mechanisms but honestly Ochem is just a bunch of random equations. There's too many laws and exceptions. You might just be better off memorizing road maps if you already understand the basics of Sn1/2, and E1/2 reactions.

I did roadmaps over and over again and Chad's videos quizzes once. I got a 24 on Orgo section. I barely did the destroyer questions (maybe the first 50 or so?)

Okay so did you just memorize reactions (b/c the roadmaps don't have mechanisms)?
Is the best way to memorize the roadmaps flash cards?? B/c I don't think i could do it just from looking at them.

We (my study partner and I) drew out the roadmaps on a big white board at school. We would leave out answers/reagents and fill them all in without looking at the paper.

You could also just do this on plain white paper and leave out the answers, then make photocopies to repeat them a few times.

To do well in ochem you have to understand the basics of why SN1, SN2, E1, and E2 attack the way they do and how solvents and polarity make a difference in your reaction. If you still need some advice PM me.

Practice, Practice, Practice. The more problems you do, the better. Try Wade, Odyssey or Solomons and Frye orgo books. They have plenty of practice problems to work on. Good luck.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk