Orgo 2 problems....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just started orgo 2 this week. I took orgo 1 last semester and did very well (A). I'm finding now though I can't remember very much at all....is this common for orgo?

I took about 3 months off which has me feeling like I'm starting from scratch almost. Anyone else notice this/do things come back quickly?

Members don't see this ad.

I kind of felt the same way... even though I took Ochem 1 and Ochem 2 back to back :/ Anyway, Ochem I reactions simply won't pop back in your head in Ochem II, since the rxns in Ochem II are very different than those in Ochem I.

I highly advise you to focus on the following Ochem I topics:

1. Adding HBr to alkenes (markov. and anti markov. verisons)
2. Know how to make alcohols from alkenes (H20 w/ H30+ cat)
3. Know your alcohols SOLID i.e how to dehydrate them to alkenes, and how to substitute halogens using PBr3 and Socl2
4. Know how to make epoxides from alkenes (mCPBA)-- these always show up in grignard rxns
5. Adding halogens to alkanes in the presence of light (radical)
6. Know how to make aldehydes and ketones from alkenes using O3 & (Ch3)2S
7. Know your primary and secondary alcohol oxidations using H2CrO4 and PCC (this should be in #3) .... these are probably the most important ochem 1 rxns
8. Also know the generic E2 reaction using tBuOK and haloalkanes to form alkenes

Don't worry too much about alkyne rxns from ochem 1....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There isn't very much to remember from Organic Chemistry I. It's basically nucleophile/electrophile/Substitution/Elimination and nomenclature.

Thanks guys. I'll focus my review on those topics.