Orgo Chem bad score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Applicant15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I recently took the OAT and got these scores:

TS: 340
AA: 330

I have a 3.3 GPA and lots of volunteering/extra curric. experience, and from what I've heard, people are saying I should apply this year as these stats will stand a chance. Unfortunately however, I recently got back my marks for my organic chemistry 2 course taken at McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada...and it's bad..I got a D+ which I don't think meets the minimum requirement for schools (which I'm guessing is a C?) and I REALLY don't want to take it again. Since I already took Orgo 1 again...going through orgo 2 once more would be brutal and very disappointing. Is it an absolute, written-in-stone requirement that I get a score above C in this course? My other science prereqs (and other courses in general) are all in the B to A range. Do you guys think I should take it again?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

To my understanding, for most of the schools organic 2 isn't a pre-req. I'm not sure how it will affect your application, but it does affect your overall undergraduate GPA. But it also affects your graduation? I know at my school I need at least a C in all my classes to graduate so you MAY have to re-take the course whether you want to or not, or try a community college? Not sure...

If you're in Canada, I suppose you are trying for Waterloo optometry?

Members don't see this ad :)
dude i go to mcmaster too and have similar scores

GPA: 3.34
OAT: TS 340
AA 330

i got a C- in the first orgo and i have 8 interviews (all in the states)
although i took biochem 2ee3 (will substitute for the second orgo..i got a A+ though lol)

if your OAT is good and GPA is still ok they overlook one bad grade trust me i was scared too with a C- cause the cut off is a C

Mcmaster orgo is literally stupid and probably harder than any other school.

definitely try tho you will get interviews for sure

You seem like a great candidate. In the USA, (east coast schools at least, ) they require at least a C in the course. I however, was a total idiot and took orgo I 3 times, and orgo II only once. However my overall gpa is still a 3.4 and I scored a 340 on the orgo on the OAT. I took the OAT 2 weeks ago and I already have 2 interviews. I think if schools do NOT require to retake, you probably shouldn't. However if you're interested in a school that requires at least a C then you probably have to. Best of luck