Orientation about Visas ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you do your residency on a J1 and return for two years to your home country after residency, how hard is it to obtain a working visa or PR in the US after the two years?

I don't really know. You don't get any preference. You'd have to get an H1b sponsored by your employer, I would think (although that might depend on what country you're coming from).

If your plan is to stay long term in the US, better to get a J waiver position. That switches your J to an H, and then you can apply for PR (after the waiver commitment)

Members don't see this ad.

The visa option for research have never been discussed here. I was wondering about the pros and cons of J and H1 research visas for someone who's planning on doing a residency after research. Thanks.

The visa option for research have never been discussed here. I was wondering about the pros and cons of J and H1 research visas for someone who's planning on doing a residency after research. Thanks.
From my understanding, the research visas and the clinical visas are completely separate. For example, the research J does not have a "2 year home rule" attached to it. You can apply for an H1b clinical visa after a research J.

The H1b visa is the same no matter what you use it for. You can go clinical medicine, research, be an IT guy, anything. Although it might be possible to get an H1b for research, I expect this is rare. If you had an H1b for research, you might be able to transfer it to a residency if the residency accepts H1b visas (but, if they do, they might simply give you an H1b anyway, so I don't know that really helps you at all).

I could be wrong about this, I really don't know much about research visas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, guys. I am a foreign medical student, currently thinking about my future. I'd like to have a residency in the US and later work there. I've read this thread and was rather disappointed by the info. However, I might have misread something, so I'd like to clarify some things.

Is it possible to start and finish a residency in the US and then stay there and work (let's say the hospital wants to keep me, or I'm getting some offers for job opportunities?)? I have passed steps 1/2 only (looking to pass step 3 in my residency years). The option of finishing the residency and then having to go back to my country for 2 years sounds unappealing... What other options do I have?

Hi, guys. I am a foreign medical student, currently thinking about my future. I'd like to have a residency in the US and later work there. I've read this thread and was rather disappointed by the info. However, I might have misread something, so I'd like to clarify some things.

Is it possible to start and finish a residency in the US and then stay there and work (let's say the hospital wants to keep me, or I'm getting some offers for job opportunities?)? I have passed steps 1/2 only (looking to pass step 3 in my residency years). The option of finishing the residency and then having to go back to my country for 2 years sounds unappealing... What other options do I have?

Your options are:

1. Train under a J visa, and then get a J waiver position. This will limit your choice of jobs, since many jobs are not J waiver eligible.

2. Train under an H visa, and then transfer your H to an employer who can sponsor you for a green card / PR

Remember that it's not you that gets to choose which visa you get, but your program.

Can research be done on a B1 visa?

This thread has been the most informative resource on J1 and H1B in comparison to all those online help websites combined. Thanks a ton! but I also have a couple questions and if anyone has the answer or know where to look, give me a shout! Anything is appreciated.

I'm a Canadian citizen studying in a US med school (top 20). Like many others, I want to do my residency in US and work in US (I have been working and living in US for a couple years prior to med school on TN and I have enjoyed the custom and health care system here). I plan on doing either Peds and Anes.
I am seriously considering for the H1B because I really don't want to return to Canada and risk having my Statement of Needs hence J1 not approved by the government .

Can I get something straight?
Because I can use OPT for the first year and apply for the H1B during the year, can I prepare the H1B application myself whether or not the program sponsors H1B (ie. J1 only programs)?
How difficult (if anyone of you have experience) is it for a Canadian USMGs to apply for H1B peds and anes programs?
Are Canadian USMGs treated the same as IMGs or do these Canadians get some slacks when applying for H1B programs?
Most importantly, do you guys have a list for programs that offer H1B and just not J1?
thanksssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I can use OPT for the first year and apply for the H1B during the year, can I prepare the H1B application myself whether or not the program sponsors H1B (ie. J1 only programs)?

No. An H1-b is an employer sponsored visa. The employer must apply for it. And, I believe that they must pay for it and are not allowed to forward those costs on to the employee (and neither are you allowed to "volunteer" to pay for them, although enforcing that would be near impossoble)

How difficult (if anyone of you have experience) is it for a Canadian USMGs to apply for H1B peds and anes programs?

I can't be sure. In general, the more competitive the program is the less visa flexible they are. Hence, I expect peds programs will be more flexible than anesthesia programs, but anything is possible. Being a USMG will make you much more competitive than an IMG.

Are Canadian USMGs treated the same as IMGs or do these Canadians get some slacks when applying for H1B programs?

Absolutely no idea what you mean. As a USMG you'll be much more competitive than IMG's. What country you come from is unlikely to play much role.

If one is applying to residency in the fourth year of medical school, can they still apply for an H1? The reason I'm asking is because Step III is required for H1, but afaik, Step III can only be taken when a student graduated from his/her med school and I assume the graduation date for most med schools is after the match date.

Thanks.

Correct. In general, if you need an H1, you need to graduate first, pass Step 3, and then apply for a spot.

The main exception is foreign nationals training in US medical schools on an F visa. They can complete an intern year on an OPT visa, and then get an H for their PGY-2 year. Or, they can have their matched program apply for an H visa for their PGY-1 year (as the requirement for Step 3 does not apply to them) -- however they can't apply for the H until you actually graduate from medical school, and that often results in a delay to starting internship. Hence, the OPT option is usually best.

Last edited:
Can someone please give more information about J1 research waivers? I know they exist and they are rarely talked about (in contrast to practice in underserved area waiver), but I have no idea how competitive they are and whether the applicant needs to be a super star researcher, or simply have the backing of the institution and the mentor. As someone interested in an academic career, I'd greatly appreciate any help.

I've read through the whole thread and it's been really helpful! Thanks to those who go to the trouble to educate the rest of us :)

I'm an IMG (graduating 2013), but I want to do my residency in the US and ultimately, stay there.

Q: If I go the J-1 route for residency, and come back for the 2 years, can I return to the US after that and live/work there as a physician? Can I apply for PR/GC while I am doing a residency? (is this dual intent?) Or during the 2 years after residency? Say I do the waiver option (which I wouldn't mind doing), can I apply for PR/GC during that time?

Q: If my ultimate goal is to stay in the US as a practicing physician/academic, is J-1 -> waiver, an "easy" (or even realistic) way to achieve this?

Q: Also, I have dual citizenship (EU country and South Africa, which is where I am in medschool) Does this pose an advantage or disadvantage? I assume the J-1 means I will have to return to the country that gave the "statement of need"?

I've read through the whole thread and it's been really helpful! Thanks to those who go to the trouble to educate the rest of us :)

I'm an IMG (graduating 2013), but I want to do my residency in the US and ultimately, stay there.

Q: If I go the J-1 route for residency, and come back for the 2 years, can I return to the US after that and live/work there as a physician? Can I apply for PR/GC while I am doing a residency? (is this dual intent?) Or during the 2 years after residency? Say I do the waiver option (which I wouldn't mind doing), can I apply for PR/GC during that time?

Q: If my ultimate goal is to stay in the US as a practicing physician/academic, is J-1 -> waiver, an "easy" (or even realistic) way to achieve this?

Q: Also, I have dual citizenship (EU country and South Africa, which is where I am in medschool) Does this pose an advantage or disadvantage? I assume the J-1 means I will have to return to the country that gave the "statement of need"?

A1. You would have to find J-1 waiver jobs which require you to work in underserved areas for some years. Then you can work your way towards a green card.

A2. It is easIER than the H-1 option. Programs much rather give the candidate a J-1 rather than go through paperwork and sponsor an H-1. So it's easier than H-1 but by no means easy in general.

A3. In general, every visa requiring applicant is at a disadvantage. There is a slow increase in american grads and programs very often clearly state that they only accept GC holders/PRs. But if you are good or the best of the lot, programs will take you. The statement of need comes from your country of residence. Not sure how that works for dual citizenship.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
A1. You would have to find J-1 waiver jobs which require you to work in underserved areas for some years. Then you can work your way towards a green card.

A2. It is easIER than the H-1 option. Programs much rather give the candidate a J-1 rather than go through paperwork and sponsor an H-1. So it's easier than H-1 but by no means easy in general.

A3. In general, every visa requiring applicant is at a disadvantage. There is a slow increase in american grads and programs very often clearly state that they only accept GC holders/PRs. But if you are good or the best of the lot, programs will take you. The statement of need comes from your country of residence. Not sure how that works for dual citizenship.

Hope this helps.
This is all correct. A couple of additions:

1. You cannot be dual intent on a J visa. Therefore, on a J, you cannot apply for a GC/PR.

2. If you get a J waiver position, then your J is "converted" to an H visa. Then, you can be dual intent and apply for GC/PR, assuming that your employer is willing to so do.

3. In order to qualify for a J waiver position, the position must be undersearved in some way. I doubt that most academic institutions would qualify -- although perhaps those located in more rural, or perhaps inner city environs would count.

4. Yes, you would need to return to the country that gives you the letter of need for your J1, if you do not get a waiver.

This is all correct. A couple of additions:

1. You cannot be dual intent on a J visa. Therefore, on a J, you cannot apply for a GC/PR.

2. If you get a J waiver position, then your J is "converted" to an H visa. Then, you can be dual intent and apply for GC/PR, assuming that your employer is willing to so do.

3. In order to qualify for a J waiver position, the position must be undersearved in some way. I doubt that most academic institutions would qualify -- although perhaps those located in more rural, or perhaps inner city environs would count.

4. Yes, you would need to return to the country that gives you the letter of need for your J1, if you do not get a waiver.

What if you get married to someone whose on a J-1 doing residency ? How does your status change then ? Are such candidates preferred ?

What if you get married to someone whose on a J-1 doing residency ? How does your status change then ? Are such candidates preferred ?
I am not 100% certain of what you are asking.

If you mean "What happens if I'm on a J1 visa and I marry a US Citizen?", the answer is that you must complete the 2 year home rule before being eligible for a spousal sponsored GC. Or you can take a J waiver position, and then after completing that be sponsored for your spousal GC.

If you mean "I'm not a US citizen and I'm going to marry someone who also is not a US citizen and is on a J visa", the answer is nothing. Neither of you are citizens, and both need visas (although as a spouse you'll now qualify for a J-2, but I am told that now the 2 year home rule attaches to the J2 holder also, so that's not really a big win)

If you mean "I'm not a US citizen and I'm going to marry someone who also is not a US citizen and is on a J visa", the answer is nothing. Neither of you are citizens, and both need visas (although as a spouse you'll now qualify for a J-2, but I am told that now the 2 year home rule attaches to the J2 holder also, so that's not really a big win)

Thanks, that's exactly what i was asking. I'm gunning for General Surgery though, let's see what happens.

Basically, there are two types of visas you can obtain to allow you to train in the US. One is the "J" visa (also called the J-1), and the other is the "H" visa (also called the H1b).

The J Visa

The J visa is an "exchange visitors" visa. The idea is that you get to come to the US for training, and then take that training back to your home country to improve the health care / teaching in your home country. I believe J visas are only available for clinical medicine and medical research. The basic facts are as follows:

1. It is easy to get. There is no limit to the number of J visas issued. The ECFMG is the sole source of these visa in the US. They have a very helpful website here.
  2. In order to get this visa, you need:
    1. To obtain an ECFMG certification (which proves you attended a qualified medical school outside the US/Canada)
    2. Pass Step I and Step II CS/CK of the USMLE
    3. Obtain a contract for a PGY position in the US
    4. Provide a Statement of Need from the Ministry of Health of the country of most recent legal permanent residence, regardless of country of citizenship. This statement provides written assurance that the country needs physicians trained in the proposed specialty and/or subspecialty. It also serves to confirm the applicant physician's commitment to return to that country upon completion of training in the United States.
  3. The statement of need can usually be obtained in your home country, or sometimes requested in a consulate. It can be easy or hard to get this letter, depending on your country of origin.
  4. The fees for these visas are inexpensive, and no lawyer is required.
  5. Spouses / children obtain a J-2 visa, which allows them to work/study in any capacity (i.e. they are a full work visa)
  6. The visa holder is required to return to their home country for a minimum of 2 years after the visa expires.
  7. The only exception to this rule is the J Visa Waiver program -- if a J Visa physician obtains a job which qualifies for a waiver, and they work in that position for a certain period of time (I believe it's 3 years), they become exempted from the "return home" requirement. These positions are rare, often poorly compensated, and potentially less than ideal. They only exist because US physicians will not fill them.
  8. You cannot moonlight on a J visa.
  9. A J visa is only good for 7 years. This covers most residencies and fellowships.
  10. You can only change specialties once on a J visa, before the end of the PGY-2 year

hello aProg Director, i appreciate ur knowledge and care for others. i am interested in doing residency in internal medicine and then do endocrinology subspeciality.. [am an INDIAN IMG]

so if i take J1 visa can i do the subspeciality? that means will they allow to study again for the second course in the same visa?

and my wife is planning for pediatrics . and if she takes more time to finish the course than i do , can i stay back with her there until she finishes the course? or should i go to home country immediately after my residency completion.
please answer to these doubts if u dont mind..

hello aProg Director, i appreciate ur knowledge and care for others. i am interested in doing residency in internal medicine and then do endocrinology subspeciality.. [am an INDIAN IMG]

so if i take J1 visa can i do the subspeciality? that means will they allow to study again for the second course in the same visa?

and my wife is planning for pediatrics . and if she takes more time to finish the course than i do , can i stay back with her there until she finishes the course? or should i go to home country immediately after my residency completion.
please answer to these doubts if u dont mind..

Yes, you can complete both a residency and fellowship on a J visa. The IM residency is 3 years, and endo is 2 years, so that's 5 years which is fine.

Your wife is planning on peds, which is only 3 years. There's no reason that she should take longer, but perhaps she's thinking of a fellowship. regardless, when a resident is here on a J1, the spouse can get a J2 visa and stay. What I don't know is whether you should both get J1's on arrival, and then ? can someone change to a J2 from a J1, or should the person who is expecting to be here longer get the J1 and the other person do all of their training on the J2. It probably doesn't matter either way, but I'm not certain.

Yes, you can complete both a residency and fellowship on a J visa. The IM residency is 3 years, and endo is 2 years, so that's 5 years which is fine.

Your wife is planning on peds, which is only 3 years. There's no reason that she should take longer, but perhaps she's thinking of a fellowship. regardless, when a resident is here on a J1, the spouse can get a J2 visa and stay. What I don't know is whether you should both get J1's on arrival, and then ? can someone change to a J2 from a J1, or should the person who is expecting to be here longer get the J1 and the other person do all of their training on the J2. It probably doesn't matter either way, but I'm not certain.

thanks for ur quick response aProgDirector.
if my wife couldnt get pediatrics at the same time of arrival , her course may be delayed. in that case her j2 visa will be expired when my j1 visa finishes, is it? or she can change to j1 when she joins studies? and i can join to her j1 visa when my course finishes?
if looks complicated please leave it.

can u explain me the advantages of j1 visa over students normal visa?

and any idea on how difficult is to get 'statement of need' from canada health minstry[ i am an indian working in saudi arabia , migrating to canada next july]?

and any idea on how difficult is to get 'statement of need' from canada health minstry

I don't know much about visas, but one thing I have heard is that the statement of need is supposed to supplement manpower planning on a provincial level. In other words, there is a list that each province maintains of which specialties in which they think that they need / will need more MDs. If you want a statement of need from that province, your specialty has to be on that list (called the List of Needed Specialties).

You can ask what specialties are on a particular province's list by contacting the Program Administrator ([email protected] or 613-952-1912). If your specialty isn't on your province's List of Needed Specialties, it will be impossible to get a statement of need.

You may already know all this, but if you haven't seen the website it's here: Category B Statement of Need

Last edited:
thanks for ur quick response aProgDirector.
if my wife couldnt get pediatrics at the same time of arrival , her course may be delayed. in that case her j2 visa will be expired when my j1 visa finishes, is it? or she can change to j1 when she joins studies? and i can join to her j1 visa when my course finishes?
if looks complicated please leave it.

can u explain me the advantages of j1 visa over students normal visa?

and any idea on how difficult is to get 'statement of need' from canada health minstry[ i am an indian working in saudi arabia , migrating to canada next july]?
As mentioned above, getting a statement of need from canada is not necessarily a straightforward process. Plus, I'm not certain you can show up in Canada and just get one right away -- I assume you need to be a canadian citizen or PR.

If you start on a J1, your wife get's a J2. That's automatic. And a J2 is a full work visa, so your wife could do anything in the US. I expect that a J2 holder can convert to a J1 visa, but I have no idea whether the reverse is possible -- i.e. a J1 holder finishing their training but their spouse continuing, and converting to a J2. The only way to know would be to review this instance with a lawyer.

Not sure what you mean by a "students normal visa". As a resident, you are NOT a student and hence you cannot use ANY student visa. You need a work visa, and your options are the J and H visas. Which you get depends on both your desires and what the program is willing to offer, and the differences are described above on the thread.

As mentioned above, getting a statement of need from canada is not necessarily a straightforward process. Plus, I'm not certain you can show up in Canada and just get one right away -- I assume you need to be a canadian citizen or PR.

If you start on a J1, your wife get's a J2. That's automatic. And a J2 is a full work visa, so your wife could do anything in the US. I expect that a J2 holder can convert to a J1 visa, but I have no idea whether the reverse is possible -- i.e. a J1 holder finishing their training but their spouse continuing, and converting to a J2. The only way to know would be to review this instance with a lawyer.

Not sure what you mean by a "students normal visa". As a resident, you are NOT a student and hence you cannot use ANY student visa. You need a work visa, and your options are the J and H visas. Which you get depends on both your desires and what the program is willing to offer, and the differences are described above on the thread.

thanks again..
in canada the visa agency claims that we can get PR in one week of reaching there.may be i go to canada this july 2011.

by 'students visa' i meant F1 student visa.
did u mean that f1 student visa holder cannot do medicine residency in usa?

I don't know much about visas, but one thing I have heard is that the statement of need is supposed to supplement manpower planning on a provincial level. In other words, there is a list that each province maintains of which specialties in which they think that they need / will need more MDs. If you want a statement of need from that province, your specialty has to be on that list (called the List of Needed Specialties).

You can ask what specialties are on a particular province's list by contacting the Program Administrator ([email protected] or 613-952-1912). If your specialty isn't on your province's List of Needed Specialties, it will be impossible to get a statement of need.

You may already know all this, but if you haven't seen the website it's here: Category B Statement of Need

hello Giemsa, the site of health canada is not functioning some how.any alternative sites please?

thanks again..
in canada the visa agency claims that we can get PR in one week of reaching there.may be i go to canada this july 2011.

To be honest, I know nothing of how visas / PR's are processed in Canada. However, I am very skeptical that you will get your documentation in 1 week.

by 'students visa' i meant F1 student visa.
did u mean that f1 student visa holder cannot do medicine residency in usa?

Correct. You must have an employment visa. Student visas are of no value, as residency is a job, not school.

I am a UK citizen studying medicine in a Caribbean Med School which offers clinical rotations in both the US and UK. As it is mandatory that I pass USMLE step1 and 2 ( CK and CS) to graduate and also because the USMLE qualification will add considerable credibility to my residency application in the UK I want to do some clinical rotations in the US . What type of visa should I apply for once I have my step1 results. To sit the Step1 I have to register with ECFMG ? I would be most appreciative of an early answer. Thanks. :confused:

Yes, you apply for the steps via ECFMG. You apply via their online portal. You can take all of the multiple choice exams in the UK if you'd like, Step 2 CS must be done in the US.

As for visas, you find your clinical rotations first. They will then tell you what visas they sponsor. The only visa you can get by yourself is a B visa -- which is a visitor visa. If you're planning on "hanging out" with some doc you know here on a voluntary / unofficial basis, then a B visa is fine. But if you're doing school sanctioned rotations, you'll need a student visa and the only one who can give you one is your school / the hospital where you'll be doing your rotatoions. Usually it's an F visa. Sometimes it's a B, or a J. (Note that a student J visa is totally different from a resident J visa).

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am sorry to bother you once more . How long does it take to get a f1 visa once you have passed Step1 and informed the school ? 6 or 8 weeks . Most appreciative of an early reply. :)

I have absoultely no idea.

Hello program director,
you are really doing a great job with all this information. Kepp it up.
I am dentist graduated from India. Now in US on visitor visa (B1/B2). I am looking forward to apply for Advanced education in general dentistry program (1 year, optional 2nd year) at Lutheran Medical Center, Tuscon Arizona. The concern person has asked me that student visa (F1) doesn't work for this program and I need to get work visa( H1) to get into this program. As a dental resident am supposed to get the stipend of $ 20,000/year for first year and $ 22,500/year. My question is am I eligible for work visa (H1) for this situation? I will really appreciate your help.
Thank you.

Hello program director,
you are really doing a great job with all this information. Kepp it up.
I am dentist graduated from India. Now in US on visitor visa (B1/B2). I am looking forward to apply for Advanced education in general dentistry program (1 year, optional 2nd year) at Lutheran Medical Center, Tuscon Arizona. The concern person has asked me that student visa (F1) doesn't work for this program and I need to get work visa( H1) to get into this program. As a dental resident am supposed to get the stipend of $ 20,000/year for first year and $ 22,500/year. My question is am I eligible for work visa (H1) for this situation? I will really appreciate your help.
Thank you.
I really don't know much about the dental education system. However, this sounds like a dental residency. It's a job (hence why they pay you) so that's why you can't get an F visa.

What's strange is that you can't just "get" an H visa. H visas are sponsored by your employer. Hence, it's the dental program that get's the H visa, not you.

I don't really know. You don't get any preference. You'd have to get an H1b sponsored by your employer, I would think (although that might depend on what country you're coming from).

If your plan is to stay long term in the US, better to get a J waiver position. That switches your J to an H, and then you can apply for PR (after the waiver commitment)

Why is it better to get a J waiver and then switch to H and PR?
Actually I am thinking about doing residency and fellowship with J visa, and return my home country for two years, and then come back to the US to apply for faculty position (and may need to be sponsored H visa at that time) and then switch to PR.
The advantage of this route is that: More residency programs accept J1 than H1, so the application will become easier and I have more options. In addition, J1 is good for 7 years, so I can do longer residency/fellowship.
The only thing I'm worrying about is: Is it very difficult to find a faculty position after I have stayed in my country for two years?

Thanks in advance for any imput!

Why is it better to get a J waiver and then switch to H and PR?
Actually I am thinking about doing residency and fellowship with J visa, and return my home country for two years, and then come back to the US to apply for faculty position (and may need to be sponsored H visa at that time) and then switch to PR.
The advantage of this route is that: More residency programs accept J1 than H1, so the application will become easier and I have more options. In addition, J1 is good for 7 years, so I can do longer residency/fellowship.
The only thing I'm worrying about is: Is it very difficult to find a faculty position after I have stayed in my country for two years?

Thanks in advance for any imput!
The "benefit" to the J waiver plan is that you don't have to go back to your home country. I expect it might be difficult to get a US job after working in a foreign country, but that partially depends on which country you are in and what you're doing there. As a J waiver, you get to stay in the US. Some academic jobs might actually be J waiver positions if they are in less-than-desirable locations.

Yes, you apply for the steps via ECFMG. You apply via their online portal. You can take all of the multiple choice exams in the UK if you'd like, Step 2 CS must be done in the US.

As for visas, you find your clinical rotations first. They will then tell you what visas they sponsor. The only visa you can get by yourself is a B visa -- which is a visitor visa. If you're planning on "hanging out" with some doc you know here on a voluntary / unofficial basis, then a B visa is fine. But if you're doing school sanctioned rotations, you'll need a student visa and the only one who can give you one is your school / the hospital where you'll be doing your rotatoions. Usually it's an F visa. Sometimes it's a B, or a J. (Note that a student J visa is totally different from a resident J visa).

My school which is in the Caribbean told me that they would apply for a F1 visa for me to do my clinical rotations once I pass the USMLE Step1 this year . I am keen to do my main core rotations in the US and to sit the Step2 in the US ( passing USMLE Step 1 and 2 ( CK and SC) is mandatory for graduation at my school) in around may 2012 before starting my electives in the UK.
An assistant in the Clinical Dept at the school told me that i would have to wait 10 months after passing the Step1 to get the F1 visa sponsored by the school.I know that Canadian students don't have to wait that long. I am a British student with a UK passport . I would be most appreciative if someone could kindly let me know the usual time limit to get a F1 visa after qualifying USMLE step1 or to which agency/office I should direct my question . I sit the Step in March and want to apply for the UK internship/residency program 2013 for which applications have to be sent in for IMGs in June.2012 Thank you :confused:

Thank you

Last edited:
The H Visa

An H visa is a true work visa. It allows a non-US citizen to hold a professional position which requires significant training. H visas are commonly used by physicians and by IT professionals. Because of the "Home Country" issue with the J visa, they are often preferred by non-US citizens training in the US. However, they have some other issues. Basic facts:

1. They are much more difficult to get. There is an annual limit to the number of H visa's available in the US. Last year, this limit was 65,000. It's extremely complex, but last year all of the visas were given away many months before they would be valid. Current practice suggests that it may take 6-9 months to get an H visa, if one is obtainable at all.
  2. They are much more expensive and complicated. Usually you need to hire a lawyer to make it all happen, which costs $$$. There is a $1000 premium processing fee, which really isn't optional if you want to start your training anywhere near July 1st. This site has a list of all the documents / paperwork you will need to generate.
  3. Some residency programs refuse to sponsor H visas because of all of the work involved.
  4. Non profits and Universities are immune to the cap, and hence can always get an H visa. However, an H obtained outside the cap is only transferrable to another institution immune to the cap.
  5. In order to get an H, you will need to pass all THREE steps of the USMLE (unlike the J, where you only need Step 1 and 2). Realistically, you should have passed all three before even applying for a residency position if you wish to try to get an H visa.
  6. You can transfer your H Visa anytime you want, although it usually takes 2-3 months to do so.
  7. If you get hired in the US into a permanent job (i.e. NOT residency) on an H visa, your employer can sponsor you for permanent residency. This is one of the easiest paths to citizenship. Note I said "easiest", not "easy". This is the major advantage of the H visa. Note that if your H is obtained outside of the cap, this will only work for an employer who is University / Non profit.
  8. Your H visa is only good for 6 years (actually it's good for 3 years, and renewable once). This can be a big problem if you decide to do a complex fellowship (like interventional cards, which is 3+3+2 = 8 years in most institutions now).
  9. Dependents (Spouse / children) obtain H-4 visas. They cannot work in the US on these visas at all.
  10. You can moonlight on an H1-b visa if you can obtain a full license (which depends by state).

Dear aPD,

Thank you so much for the persistent kindness and patience at answering many of our questions - we are really grateful! :thumbup:

May I ask you a question regarding my circumstance and E2 visa:

I am a MD/PhD from leading schools of South Africa/UK. I am about to start my IM residency soon, on H1b. I have read all the earlier threads, and understand classical pathway to fellowship (without J1) is via working on H1 that sponsors GC, after my residency.

However, I have recently learnt that my PhD degree and academic publications may potentially qualify me for E2 visa, and then GC. (Is that true?)

If this pathway exist, how will that affect my fellowship roadmap?
(in other words, should I convert my H1 to E2 as soon as I enter US, before its 3 years expire, so I could be on my way to GC around the time of fellowship match; or should I only apply for E2 towards the end of my first H1b and residency, will the fellowship program accept me if I hold E2 visa at the time of starting fellowship work, and transition into GC during fellowship training?)

Have you came across E2 candidate in your programs? and what do they typically do/go through?

Thank you so much again, for all of your time, thoughts and tips.

yours gratefully,
Gary

I know absolutely nothing about E-2 visas. According to wikipedia, they are an investor visa and require a significant investment of cash. I don't see how this would work for residency, nor does it necessarily allow for a GC. Regardless, I really only know what I read on wikipedia, so you need to speak to a visa lawyer to see if this is an option for you.

I know absolutely nothing about E-2 visas. According to wikipedia, they are an investor visa and require a significant investment of cash. I don't see how this would work for residency, nor does it necessarily allow for a GC. Regardless, I really only know what I read on wikipedia, so you need to speak to a visa lawyer to see if this is an option for you.

Dear aPD

Thank you so much for the kind and prompt reply.

I apologise for the miscommunication, I intended to mean EB-2 and EB-1 visa in my last message. Apparently they are given to either professionals of advanced degree or those who have expertise suiting the national interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-2_visa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-1_visa

I have started the dialogue with my lawyer (that is currently handling my H1b application), and he seems to think that should not be a problem (apart from I need to organise evidence of degree, reference letter, and several other proof of my achievement records).

The road seems to be less travelled by, but is potentially rewarding in avoiding gapping internist/hospitalist years for keen resident graduate. The changing back of fellowship match to PGY3 may potentially allow more time for qualifying of GC via this route.

Having said that, we still love to hear your comment, and please do point out potential flaws/problems if you spot any. I will try to update you on a later date (likely in years time) regarding the application outcome. Once again, many thanks for everything, aPD (and friends on this forum who have kindly shared their experiences).

yours sincerely
Gary

Dear aPD

Thank you so much for the kind and prompt reply.

I apologise for the miscommunication, I intended to mean EB-2 and EB-1 visa in my last message. Apparently they are given to either professionals of advanced degree or those who have expertise suiting the national interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-2_visa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-1_visa

I have started the dialogue with my lawyer (that is currently handling my H1b application), and he seems to think that should not be a problem (apart from I need to organise evidence of degree, reference letter, and several other proof of my achievement records).

The road seems to be less travelled by, but is potentially rewarding in avoiding gapping internist/hospitalist years for keen resident graduate. The changing back of fellowship match to PGY3 may potentially allow more time for qualifying of GC via this route.

Having said that, we still love to hear your comment, and please do point out potential flaws/problems if you spot any. I will try to update you on a later date (likely in years time) regarding the application outcome. Once again, many thanks for everything, aPD (and friends on this forum who have kindly shared their experiences).

yours sincerely
Gary

My knowledge of EB visas is equivalent to that of E visas -- absolutely nothing.

According to this site, EB visas cannot be used for medical residency since they are only for permanent positions, not training positions.

Hence, I would plan to complete all of your training on an H1b. They are good for 3 years, renewable once, so 6 years total. I would only consider the EB pathway if you run out of H visa time.

Thank you, aPD!

Great link and valid point. I'll speak to my lawyer and make sure we're not in for iceburg.

So, back to the old internist/hospitalist route (or J1) again...

Thank you for your time, and have a nice weekend,
Gary

aProgDirector, I have seen the immense amount of knowledge and inputs you have given for International medical graduates. I want to ask your opinion about getting a EB 5 visa before applying for US residency as FMG. This gives conditional PR status for 2 years and then we apply for removing the conditions just like marriage CPR. Will the program interviewing me consider this as a disadvantage for me?
I know nothing about an EB-5 visa. That will probably be true for most other PD's, so yes it will be seen negatively.

I googled it, and it seems unlikely to work. The EB-5 visa is for foreign investors willing to invest $1 million and create jobs for US citizens. You'd have a PR for 2 years, at which time you have to demonstrate how your investment has actually created jobs. If it doesn't, your visa ends. Seems unlikely that you'd be able to be a resident and run/manage a business with a $1 million investment.

I guess it might be possible for your spouse to be the investor. You'd also be a PR, and hence be able to get a job / be a resident. But again, if the business runs into trouble your visa could end. Also, it sounds like setting up the business could take some time and planning.

Another possibility would be coming to the US on an EB-5, getting the business up and running, and then getting the conditions removed from your GC. Then you could apply for a residency as you'd simply have a GC. Of course, you'd have a 2+ year gap in your medical training which could be a problem

I think it would depend, but no a conditional PR is not the same as a full PR. You could easily lose your PR status based upon your conditions. That's not good.

Plus you have the problem of perception. If it looks like you're getting a PR by buying your way into the country, some PD's may simply have a problem with that, legal or not.

Last, I'm not certain what you mean by "sponsored by a close relative". It looks to me that getting an EB-5 requires that you invest $1 million, and that you create new jobs. Somebody else doing so wouldn't seem to create a visa for you. That being said, I know nothing about EB-5 visas.

Bottom line, if it looks sketchy, most GME offices will not be comfortable with it.

So, if I understand your question clearly, you want to know if a family member who is a citizen or a PR can sponsor you for a PR, and how this would work.

First, we should be clear that I'm not a lawyer, and this is my best attempt to answer that question. I could be completely wrong.

So, you are correct that this has nothing to do with EB visas.

Also, to be clear, a PR (Permanent Resident) is the same as a Green Card (GC). This sometimes confuses people.

The answer is: legally, yes a family member can sponsor you for a PR. Realistically, no, because it takes a ridiculous amount of time to do so in most cases.

The details:

If your family member is a US citizen, then they can sponsor a spouse, parent, child, or sibling.
If your family member is a PR, then they can sponsor a spouse or a child only.

The best situation is immediate relatives of a US Citizen. A US citizen can get a GC for a parent, a spouse, and unmarried children under the age of 21. There is no limit to the number of visas in this category, so you basically apply and in about 3-6 months, they get a GC. It's more complicated than that, but basically that's how it works.

In all other situations, there is an annual limit to the number of GC's available. You will get a GC, but you have to wait your turn. How long the waiting list is depends on many factors, which includes the exact type of connection between you and the PR/US Citizen and the country you come from.

Here's how it works: You file the appropriate paperwork and pay all fees. Once your application is reviewed and completed, you get a "priority date", which is simply the date that your application is complete. You then have to wait until your priority date becomes "current", which means it's your trun to get a visa. So, if you filed all of the paperwork today and got it all approved, your priority date would be Nov 30, 2011.

From your prior posts, I see that you're from the Middle East. You were not clear on whom your family member here in the US was, but let's pretend it's a sibling who is a US Citizen (note that if your sibling is a PR, they cannot sponsor you for citizenship at all). This would fall into the "F4" category for green cards. The current date is June 15th, 2000. Hence, they are currently processing applications submitted over ten years ago. Hence, you have no chance of getting a GC this way any time soon.

If it's a parent here in the US, then if they are a citizen and you're over 21, the current date is in 2004. If they are a PR, then the current date is in 2003.

So, bottom line is that this is only a practical option if you are married to a US Citizen, or are an unmarried child under age 21 of a US citizen. Anything other than that has a waiting list measured in years or decades.

Dear aProgDirector or whoever wants to help,

I am currently doing an OPT with my B.S. and will attend a US medical school this August. My F-1 VISA will expire in 2013. I was told that my I-20 will simply be transferred to my new school and that I do not need to go back to obtain a new F-1 VISA, as long as I stay in the states.

I was also told that my new school and request an OPT card for me, even if I have an expired F-1 VISA, as long as my I-20 is valid. Is this true?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you for your help.

Dear aProgDirector or whoever wants to help,

I am currently doing an OPT with my B.S. and will attend a US medical school this August. My F-1 VISA will expire in 2013. I was told that my I-20 will simply be transferred to my new school and that I do not need to go back to obtain a new F-1 VISA, as long as I stay in the states.

I was also told that my new school and request an OPT card for me, even if I have an expired F-1 VISA, as long as my I-20 is valid. Is this true?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you for your help.
Honestly, I have no experience with this at all. But, a bit of googling...

Here's the scoop. You basically want to transfer your F visa from your old school to your new school. Remember that your OPT is an extension of your F visa, so as far as USCIS is concerned you're (basically) still a student at your prior institution. Your med school should have an international student office. Contact them, and they should give you some paperwork to complete. You're going to choose a "transfer release date" -- the date your F will switch from your old school to your med school. That will be the first day that your OPT work permit is no longer valid. You'll choose a date that: 1) ensures that all coursework from your prior school is completed; 2) that your OPT employment is finished; 3) that is usually at least 1-2 weeks prior to the actual start of medical school; and 4) is no more than 60 days after the end of your OPT (if your OPT expires prior to medical school starting).

Your med school will talk to your prior school, and arrange the F transfer. You'll get a new I-20. Whether there are fees for this (and how much paperwork is involved) I have no idea, but the international student office at your medical school should. If they don't then I'd contact the international student office at your prior school for help with this.

Of note, you'll get a new 12 month OPT period at the end of medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your response. It basically confirms what I had in mind. I think this thread is really useful to any internationals. Thank you so much!:D