ORM, CA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtnd2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted in the "Should I retake?" thread but got no responses, I'm gonna take that as a no on the retake. Feeling happy about my MCAT score but as a CA resident I'm sort of having doubts.

I'm gonna be a senior this fall, taking a gap year. I currently have a 3.68 cumulative, 3.57 science GPA. By the time I graduate I'm expecting a 3.72 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA.

Actual MCAT score: 10PS/11VR/10BS, first attempt.
Average on AAMCs was 31.something, I scored 34s in the last two I took (AAMC 11 and 4).
Very strong LORs
Heavy involvement in public health initiatives (started programs/led teams etc.), ~2 years of weekly hospital volunteering, some shadowing (will be at around 30 hours after this summer).
Always had a part-time job, sometimes had two at a time.
Research: currently have 1 second author pub, with two manuscripts in preparation (1 first author - maybe second, depending on my PI, but I wrote most of it, 1 second author). This year I will be completing an honors thesis.
Other ECs include two club sports and leadership roles on campus.

I'm applying next year btw, just wanted to get a head start on things like a school list and such since I will have a very busy year.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine as long as you apply broadly, but don't expect to stay in CA for medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine as long as you apply broadly, but don't expect to stay in CA for medical school.

Thanks! Do you think I should still apply to the higher-ranked CA schools like Stanford, UCSF, UCLA and USC? I don't want to apply to too many top-tier schools and waste my money (I'm not sure if I'll get FAP), and I already have some top schools in my tentative list (mostly applying because I've done work in those schools, either through summer programs or collaboration stuff with labs).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Do you think I should still apply to the higher-ranked CA schools like Stanford, UCSF, UCLA and USC? I don't want to apply to too many top-tier lists and waste my money (I'm not sure if I'll get FAP), and I already have some top schools in my tentative list (mostly applying because I've done work in those schools, either through summer programs or collaboration stuff with labs).
Feel free to apply (as many Californians do), but with a ~3.7/31 and nothing else that stands out (URM, exceptional EC's) you should be realistic and realize that you have a miniscule (if any) chance of getting an interview. If you're trying to cut down schools, those should be the first to go.

Feel free to apply (as many Californians do), but with a ~3.7/31 and nothing else that stands out (URM, exceptional EC's) you should be realistic and realize that you have a miniscule (if any) chance of getting an interview. If you're trying to cut down schools, those should be the first to go.

Gotcha, will keep that in mind! It seems I also count as URM (not 100% sure, gotta double check that) but if that's the case then I probably should still apply to at least UCSF and UCLA, yes?

Thanks again, you've been very helpful!

Gotcha, will keep that in mind! It seems I also count as URM (not 100% sure, gotta double check that) but if that's the case then I probably should still apply to at least UCSF and UCLA, yes?

Thanks again, you've been very helpful!
If you're a URM, I say go for it (but be sure to keep a balanced list!) What community do you represent?

Goro suggests:

Rush
NYMC
Penn state
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
UC Davis
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
All new MD programs
Any DO program (Western and TUCOM-CA are in your backyard)

Posted in the "Should I retake?" thread but got no responses, I'm gonna take that as a no on the retake. Feeling happy about my MCAT score but as a CA resident I'm sort of having doubts.

I'm gonna be a senior this fall, taking a gap year. I currently have a 3.68 cumulative, 3.57 science GPA. By the time I graduate I'm expecting a 3.72 cGPA, 3.63 sGPA.

Actual MCAT score: 10PS/11VR/10BS, first attempt.
Average on AAMCs was 31.something, I scored 34s in the last two I took (AAMC 11 and 4).
Very strong LORs
Heavy involvement in public health initiatives (started programs/led teams etc.), ~2 years of weekly hospital volunteering, some shadowing (will be at around 30 hours after this summer).
Always had a part-time job, sometimes had two at a time.
Research: currently have 1 second author pub, with two manuscripts in preparation (1 first author - maybe second, depending on my PI, but I wrote most of it, 1 second author). This year I will be completing an honors thesis.
Other ECs include two club sports and leadership roles on campus.

I'm applying next year btw, just wanted to get a head start on things like a school list and such since I will have a very busy year.

Awesome, pretty much what my list looks like + UCSD, UCI, and Duke and Pitt for my extreme reaches. Thank you!

Goro suggests:

Rush
NYMC
Penn state
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
UC Davis
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
All new MD programs
Any DO program (Western and TUCOM-CA are in your backyard)