Ortho aways and zero experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, long story short. I have two away rotations coming up. I have zero ortho experience besides the spine surgeries I observed during my neurosurg elective.

Clearly, the best way at this point for me to have a clue is to read. Was wondering what books would be recommended for the newbie in ortho.

I was thinking Zuckerman's Handbook of Fractures would be useful. Then, perhaps, and anatomy text, a physical exam text, and perhaps ortho secrets?

TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rules to success on most ortho rotations.

-Know the anatomy: Since they don't really teach ortho in med school they won't expect you to know much except anatomy. So I would focus on that. Plus, pimping is usually minimal.

-Be cool: Something one either has or doesn't, but possibly the most important factor. Be a pleasure to be around. Act interested, but don't be pushy or gunnerish. Way too many good people get blacklisted by trying too hard and coming off as jerks. We pride ourselves on being hard working but easy going. Acting like a tyrant may work well for general surgery, but is an easy way to get your application overlooked come November.

Fix some bones, play with power tools, and have fun.

Rules to success on most ortho rotations.

-Know the anatomy: Since they don't really teach ortho in med school they won't expect you to know much except anatomy. So I would focus on that. Plus, pimping is usually minimal.

-Be cool: Something one either has or doesn't, but possibly the most important factor. Be a pleasure to be around. Act interested, but don't be pushy or gunnerish. Way too many good people get blacklisted by trying too hard and coming off as jerks. We pride ourselves on being hard working but easy going. Acting like a tyrant may work well for general surgery, but is an easy way to get your application overlooked come November.

Fix some bones, play with power tools, and have fun.

Damn straight.

get thee a Netter's Concise Guide to Orthopaedic Anatomy. it's much, much more than just an anatomy atlas. and it was my bible during my 3 ortho sub-Is.