Ortho Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilstar0024

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone-
So I have recently developed a strong interest in Ortho. Im a D3 and haven't done much until now to prepare for any specialty program as I wasn't intending in specializing. I got an 85 on Part I and am in a P/NP program so I have no GPA. I have not done any research either. What do you guys think I should do? Should I retake the boards or put all my time into taking Part II early and doing well on that. If I have a high score on my Part II will that compensate for a low Part I in anyway or should I just start studying for Part I again.
Also, do you guys think I should do some kind of research or I can be okay without it?
Thanks! Any advise would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll have a very good chance if you get 90+ on part I. The good thing is you are in the P/NP program. Two things you should do right now (and it’s not too late):
  • Spend 2-3 months to study for part I again. Don’t worry about part II (just take it before you graduate).
  • Find a mentor and start doing research. It doesn’t have to be ortho related and you don’t have to finish or publish it.
Good luck!

Thanks for the great advice!