Ortho hurting his patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orthocase1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was recently treated by an older orthodontist, he seems to be at least 65 and I can tell he has trouble with his vision by his squinting and constant head movement. He kind of zooms in closer and further away as he tries to focus.

My treatment was botched. I had traditional ceramic brackets for a little less than a year to correct my crooked central incisors and some crooked lowers as well. Everything else was normal. The treatment was really very minor. He charged me $1600 for about 10 months of treatment.

The thing is that after my treatment, some of my lower incisors were way, way extruded because of weird bracket placement. It was probably off by at least 1.5mm at least. Enough to make it very obvious that I now had uneven lowers (frontal view). He chipped one of my lowers trying to get the bracket off. Which isn't the end of the world, but he was really struggling with that bracket (lots of blood) for a long time and probably gripped it wrong since my teeth aren't really prone to decay. The amount of force he used was insane, lots of grunting, and finally the bracket went flying across the room into the corner. Ok, so he chipped my tooth. I understand that may happen and I did sign the waiver. But, the guy did not even acknowledge that this happened, much less apologize. He completely ignored it and I had to find out about it when I looked in the mirror to check out the final results. Like I wouldn't notice it. When I confronted him about it he still didn't apologize and tried to place the blame on me for not brushing my teeth well.

Oh, and I also had to make 4 extra trips to his office because I noticed that he had forgotten to tighten the clips on my brackets when I got home.

So, two major issues for me: he chipped my tooth and screwed up my lowers. I asked him for a refund which he gave me without a fight because he knew he was in the wrong. He still had the nerve to say that he wanted to resolve this quickly because he had repairs from Sandy to tend to that weren't cheap.

So this was a waste of 10 months for me and a waste of $200. He insisted on keeping the 200 to try and recoup material costs.

Is there any way that I can get this guy under review from an orthodontic accreditation association? My teeth are already screwed up and I've come to terms with it, but he seems like he has a lot of patients.

It's been a while since the incident, 2 years, but I'm still angry. Can I still sue him? The thing is that I'm entering the profession as well and don't want to step on the wrong toes. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

SDN is not for seeking medical or dental advice. Please see a live dentist or orthodontist for questions about your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.