ortho-K/ CRT

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canuck_OD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm currently having ortho-K done on me ... as part of our 4th year advanced techniques course.

The RGP is quite large (11mm I believe) and feels much more comfortable than a SCL .... but it still feels like a hunk of plastic on your eye.

I'll keep you all updated as to how well this works!! :)

PS: I'm -175OD, -150OS

Members don't see this ad.

oops ... meant to say much more comfortable that a conventional RGP .... it's way to early to think! te he!

yeah, definitely let us know how it works out for you, Freddie. Is there a cut off in Rx in how much sphere and cyl you can have for it to be effective? just curious.

Hey C,

There are far fewer OD's doing OK in the US because it isn't quite FDA approved .... but from what I hear there are ~25 doing the OOK procedure using Dr. John Montford's lens design (sp?)

In Canada there's about 100 OD's doing this.... and you must be BE OOK certified to do this --if you want to use the BE lens design that is. It constiutes about 13 hours of CE, and OD students are welcome.

So ... now to the good stuff .... After only 1 night of wear with a trial lens my refraction decreased to ~-0.50 equivalent sphere ou ... and my acuities were 20/20- OD, 20/15 OS. It's really amazing! After about 5 hours into the waking day my acuities decreased ... and by the end of the day I was wearing -1.25 SCL's :) ..... From what I understand this is pretty normal, especially after only 1 night's wear. As time goes on, and as the therapy continues the hope is that I need only wear the lenses 2-3 times/week.

This is really an exciting procedure ... and I am very seriously considering becoming an OK practionner when I graduate ... woohoo!