ortho or endo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm curious about how one would go about getting a specialization in Ortho- or Endodontics. Are they difficult specialties to get? How long is the training? Please explain the process of becoming one.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Both specialties are very hard to get accepted into programs. Usually, one needs to be in the top 5 to get accepted right out of dental school. You will need to score above a 90 on your boards also. I will be applying to endo this year, and most programs like for the candidate to have a one year GPR for additional experience. I would say right now that endo is the most competitive of all the dental specialties. If you have any other questions, I will be glad to try to answer them.

Thanks for the response. Are there any specialties which are fairly easy to get? I was unaware that it was so difficult to get a good spot in ortho or endo. Do most dental students go into general dentistry? If so, is it because getting a specialization is so difficult or is it by choice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question...

I'd also like to know what all the dental specialties are...

I know of ortho, endo, peds, perio, and surgery. What are the others? Are there any "fellowships" to further your education beyond just the specialty? I suspect that there are a wide variety of subspecialties in surgery, but what about the others?

Also, how does one go about setting up a gen practice? Do people usually start out working for another dentist to build a patient load and then go off on their own?

The specialties that you listed are the main ones that people go into. One can also specialize in radiology or oral pathology if academics is your main interest. Most students go into general practice because they want to see a variety of procedures, and they can go out and finally make some money. A lot of programs actually like to accept those who have practiced for a few years because those people usually know exactly what aspect of dentistry is interesting to them. Also, after being in the real world for a while, one is fresh and ready to tackle a demanding residency program. Finally, most people do associate with another dentist due to the enormous cost of starting a practice right out of school. The ideal situation is to find a thriving practice where the senior dentist wants to retire in 2-3 years. Good luck in the future.