Ortho Research in Vietnam Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avenue Q

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a third year pre-med undergrad currently spending a semester studying in Vietnam. Part of my time here involves independent field research, and I am looking into prevention and treatment for pediatric motorbike accidents (it's the leading cause of death here, and no one wears helmets). I have been spending quite a bit of time observing in the Hospital for Traumatology and Orthopedics in Ho Chi Minh City as well as interviewing many physicians, and have a few questions about orthopedics in american that have been raised as I have been trying to understand medical services in Vietnam. I am hoping someone on this board can help me out.

1) What is the primary injury/disease that is seen in pediatric orthopedics? Here it is primarilly motorbike related accidents, and bowed limbs due to rickets.
2) What is the frequency that children require surgery for broken bones (due to traffic related accidents)? I have notices an especially high frequency of children who are getting surgery, as opposed to simple casting, and have heard vaguely from some doctors that this is more about getting money for the hospital and for their own salaries than for the kids (who do get the added perk of a shorter recovery time, but the doesn't seem to outweigh the risks of surgery).
3) What is the average length of stay for pediatric traumas? What is the general discharge criteria? I have noticed a great number of children who appear to be very "well recovered" who remain in the hospital, without any apparent medical supportive services, simply to be observed. Is this a higher standard of care than is afforded in the states because of the lack of HMO pressure or is this more financial padding for the hospital?

Thanks a lot! I appreciate any responses and input.

Members don't see this ad.