Ortho Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heatfan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore in college. Ortho surgery has always had me interested but sometimes if I watch videos or hear certain stories, I feel sick because of bones, needles, or blood. Any advice from ortho surgeons, residents, ir students is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

No worries. When I was shadowing in college, the first time I saw a decubitus ulcer, I almost passed out and had to run to the bathroom to splash some cold water on my face. I can honestly say that this should in no way hinder you from pursuing your passion. As you become more accustomed to the hospital, the smells, noises and sights will become less novel and intimidating, and as you add to your clinical knowledge bank, you'll be able to look at even the most gruesome conditions in a medical context, which helps keep reflexes under control. My first fractured femur scared me as well, but after a certain period of time, I started thinking less about how gross it looked and how painful it seemed, to figuring out how I was going to fix it and what approach I was going to take to expose the fracture.

My advice at this point in your career is to try and get some shadowing experience with an Orthopod. Granted, very few hospitals will let undergrads into the OR now, but the more time you spend volunteering or shadowing will undoubtedly carry over and help you overcome your displeasure of fractures, needles and blood. Additionally, there are also a number of techniques you can use to help prevent yourself from fainting, vomiting, etc. when you see these things such as deep breathing that will enable you to overcome. Best of luck, Ortho is the best in my opinion!

Thank you so much for your advice! It's greatly appreciated! Are you currently a med student, resident, or practicing surgeon?