Ortho with GPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalMan123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I will be applying for Ortho residencies, although my stats/grades are good, but not great. Ortho is my passion and it is what I want to do, however, I would like to apply to GPRs, as well, as back up for one year in case I do not get into Ortho this cycle. I wanted to know is it doable to apply to both Ortho and GPRs at the same time? If so, what steps must one take? Any feedback and advice for going about this?
For example, when asking for letters of recommendation, would I ask professors to write two separate letters, one for my Ortho programs and one for GRPs? etc?.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I know it is possible. You may have to duplicate your efforts with regards to applying to two residencies. I believe the match dates for the two are months apart so you may be able to avoid the hassle if you get in. If not accepted to ortho, my recommendation is to apply to GPRs at the schools with ortho programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Do you recommend applying to both at the same time, or waiting until I am hypothetically not accepted to ortho first?
I don't want the bottom of the barrel GPRs, so I rather take a proactive stance, or is it unnecessary to do so and wait until I hear back from ortho programs first?
Any top recommended GPRs with ortho programs?

Can an associate professor not in the clinic who is your research supervisor write you a PFE?