About the ads

Orthodontics residency qualifications

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by ohohitsmagic08, Feb 20, 2013.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the NBDE
  1. ohohitsmagic08

ohohitsmagic08

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    What would you recommend to someone who is starting dental school next fall if he/she were dead set on pursuing orthodontics? I understand that views can change during dental school, but if orthodontics was the ultimate goal, what would you recommend a student do during their 4 years to have the best possible chance of matching? AKA what does the resume of an 'ideal' ortho candidate look like? Besides the obvious high GPA/class rank. Thanks for any input and sorry if its a stupid question.
  2. ortho lurker

ortho lurker

Dentist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ability to kiss butt. Seriously, go to the graduate ortho dept and show your face and get involved in "research" projects. You will need to kiss butt later in the future as well by buttering up to the GPs like there is no tomorrow, or you will have no ortho practice.
  3. ohohitsmagic08

ohohitsmagic08

Pre-Dental
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    haha what do you mean by "research" projects?
  4. ortho lurker

ortho lurker

Dentist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Back in dental school when NBDE part I used to be scored, we ortho hopefuls joked that if a female applicant had nice curves, it would automatically add 10 points to her NBDE score. Life may not be fair, but that's how things work sometimes.
  5. ubdental

ubdental

Dentist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Sounds to me like an exchange of free, long term labor in the Ortho department for a glorious letter of recommendation.
    And I agree with the kiss-butt fact. A lot of kiss butt!!
  6. gryffindor

gryffindor

Dentist
    Dentist SDN 10+ Year Member
    Get out your family tree and look for the following to increase your chances.
    1) Are you a direct descendant of an orthodontist? The more famous the better
    2) Any wealthy relatives who will donate money to have an orthodontic clinic built with your last name on the entrance.
  7. FN88

FN88

Dentist
    Hi

I am a graduate of bds from a non US dental school and I intend to apply for masters this year. There are some aspects of the application process which i do not understand. It would be kind of you if u could answer my following questions.

1. Being an international applicant, where do i get the paper form of institution evaluation form? Or am i supposed to request an exception of the institution form?

2.Is the essay required in the application equivalent to the statement of purpose?

3. Please correct me if i m wrong but the official dental school transcripts the PASS asks for are the ones made by ECE(course by course) right?

4. Is the ETS PPI supposed to be submitted electronically or by mail?

5.According to the PASS application instructions, the paper PROFESSIONAL EVALUATION FORM must accompany the request form. How do i get the request form and the paper professional evaluation form?

It would be grateful if anybody can help me out through the process. Thank you
  8. MrWilson

MrWilson

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=963554