Orthodontics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

black bear

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do not see many threads about orthodontics...is anybody out there applying to ortho??
I am interested in applying, how hard is it to get in if you are a foreign trained dentist with 2 years of ortho assisting experience?
thanks for the comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
black bear said:
I do not see many threads about orthodontics...is anybody out there applying to ortho??
I am interested in applying, how hard is it to get in if you are a foreign trained dentist with 2 years of ortho assisting experience?
thanks for the comments.
Ari

It will be pretty darned hard. But ortho is hard to get into anyway. Good luck.

another internationally trained dentist on here had a 97 NBDE1 with research awards and several publications and was not able to match. don't remember her name, nor if she still lurks the forum.

black bear said:
thanks for the comments.
Ari

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to walk on water to get in to Ortho these days. Try Perio.

I jhave applyed to a fellowship in surgical orthodontics, if I get accepted in the fellowship will this help in my application to ortho residency?

Thanks a lot for any comments and thanks to the people that answered my previous question.

best wishes.

Yes, but it is pretty political and is really a crapshoot no matter what you have on your resume.

black bear said:
I jhave applyed to a fellowship in surgical orthodontics, if I get accepted in the fellowship will this help in my application to ortho residency?

Thanks a lot for any comments and thanks to the people that answered my previous question.

best wishes.

Orthodontics is a very competitive specialty (as if you didn't know already)... I would contact each program that you want to apply, visit if possible and speak to the program director if possible (or email) and find out what he/she would require of a foreign dental applicant. Fellowships help with application. But you need to be clear of what your objective of the fellowship is. Is it mainly research or clinical? Are they willing to write you a reference letter at the end? Things to consider.

thanks for the comments.
Ari
Black Bear,

Hope things are working out for you.

I have a quick comment on 'applying for a surgical orthodontics fellowship' to increase your ortho acceptnce odds......

Does it make sense to do a fellowship 1st b/4 a residency? Sort of like putting the cart b/4 the horse if you as me. And such a move may actually be a drawback for you. Most orthodontists (educators) are traditionalists and think along the same lines.....I am one of them.

I think of orthodontic 'fellowship' as an extra year of orthodontic training without any guarantee if you don't get in the first time.

best wishes.

what's a surgical orthodontics fellowship?

what's a surgical orthodontics fellowship?
We have a guy at IU who does surgical orthodontics. I'm not 100% sure on the details, but from listening to him it seems like he works with craniofacial problems a lot. He scrubs on craniofacial cases and has a table in the OR where he messes with the appliances or whatever. If you're really curious, PM me and I'll get you contact info.

We have a guy at IU who does surgical orthodontics. I'm not 100% sure on the details, but from listening to him it seems like he works with craniofacial problems a lot. He scrubs on craniofacial cases and has a table in the OR where he messes with the appliances or whatever. If you're really curious, PM me and I'll get you contact info.

gotcha. i googled it.

has anyone taken it in Canada? I am trying to find out if it is same as US and what should one use as study materials etc.? Thank you for any assistance.

I'm also sorta intrigued how competitive ortho is compared to OS. There's def a lot more folks into OS on SDN, perhaps because of most Ortho programs now are 3 years and require tuition.

My friend told me at her school there are a lot of 90s this year, some people even got high 90s. Does that mean you'll need a 95 to be competitive for Ortho? In that case it will be insane.

I'm also sorta intrigued how competitive ortho is compared to OS. There's def a lot more folks into OS on SDN, perhaps because of most Ortho programs now are 3 years and require tuition.

My friend told me at her school there are a lot of 90s this year, some people even got high 90s. Does that mean you'll need a 95 to be competitive for Ortho? In that case it will be insane.
I'm a dental student btw. Dunno why my status says pre dent

I'm a dental student btw. Dunno why my status says pre dent

I use that one all the time if I am an idiot and leave the building with my name tag on and meet some hot chick.

"O yeah, I'm an orthodontist. Not sure why it says dental student"

You can change that in the settings someone...just do some exploring under 'My Account'. It'll give you infinitely more respect around here for sure.

Hi!
I'm a foreign trained dentist,interested to specialize in orthodontics.
Please share your experience regarding getting into this competitive specialty.I have couple of publications in international orthodontic journals, will that have any positive impact on my application?
thanks.

My class took it last year. We didn't have that many of 90s (or maybe people're hiding and I don't know?) That's crazy.