Orthopaedic bench research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mysdnhandle

Joe the Plumber
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is finding out how much you can bench?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
no, it's how many benches you can build.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orthopedic bench research is freaking fascinating.

Everything from trying to regrow tissue (cartilage) to more biomed engineering stuff like in-vivo mechanics. I checked out a biomechanics lab yesterday (going to be helping them with a study) and it was awesome beyond words. Live analysis of flexion extension of the cervical spine in multiple planes, calculations of forces on discs, looking at how pathology and hardware affect mechanics.

Ortho bench research and mechanics will blow your mind.

That is, if you're not just going to be snarky about it.

Oh, there was also a 3D printer they were using to model joint prostheses.

Reactions: 2 users
Orthopedic bench research is freaking fascinating.

Everything from trying to regrow tissue (cartilage) to more biomed engineering stuff like in-vivo mechanics. I checked out a biomechanics lab yesterday (going to be helping them with a study) and it was awesome beyond words. Live analysis of flexion extension of the cervical spine in multiple planes, calculations of forces on discs, looking at how pathology and hardware affect mechanics.

Ortho bench research and mechanics will blow your mind.

That is, if you're not just going to be snarky about it.

Oh, there was also a 3D printer they were using to model joint prostheses.

Oh, as far a 'pure' bench science goes. The PI I work for has a lab practice that studies protein expression in discs and other tissue to see if the gene expression is different between healthy and disease states.

If you're interested in bench science/mechanics, there's a lot of cool stuff in ortho. A lot of people don't do it because procedures pay very well. I'm lucky to be in a center where the PI stresses both.