orthopaedic reference book?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sidhom831

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just finished undergrad and I landed an internship with an orthopaedic surgeon He's having me do physical exams and patient histories, and then expects me to present the case to him before he himself goes into the room. The doc knows I haven't had any anatomy or any background knowledge of orthopedics in general but wants to me to pick up on the material as quick as i can. Does anyone have suggestions for a good reference book that helps with both anatomy and orthopedic concepts? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Netter's concise orthopaedic anatomy is basically what every medical student uses on orthopaedic rotations. Going through that cover to cover is a good place to start.

Reactions: 4 users
Netter's concise orthopaedic anatomy is basically what every medical student uses on orthopaedic rotations. Going through that cover to cover is a good place to start.

Agree with this for physical exam stuff - just recognize that this book lists about a thousand different maneuvers for each joint, only a fraction of which anyone uses on a regular basis.

For general orthopaedic knowledge, I recommend Essential Orthopaedics & Trauma (http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Orthopaedics-Trauma-STUDENT-CONSULT/dp). Reading textbooks is good, this one is pretty accessible, and covers a broad range. Read it before my first ortho rotation and felt generally prepared. This book, plus a lot of drawing anatomic diagrams over and over.

Perhaps random, but another thought - many people interested in orthopaedics don't know anything about it. There is a short book out there called Rearticulations of Orthopaedic Surgery on Amazon that lays out how the specialty forms, and is cheap. Consider taking a look - I think those considering orthopaedics as a field, or any other field, should take the few hours to learn something of the history of the field they hope to join for their careers.

Reactions: 1 user