Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon - ask me anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you stop lifting because you lost interest or you had to take care of your hands so you do not receive an injury?

I'm really passionate about bodybuilding and I'm 95% positive I want to go into a surgery specialty. Do you think I would have to give up bodybuilding for surgery?
Lifting was never a big part of my life. I did it to stay healthy and get a little bit of tone for the ladies, but it was not a passion. Eventually, as my responsibilities increased and my free time grew more precious, my priorities shifted to what mattered more. I guess part of my departure from lifting was concern for injuries. I have sustained prior shoulder injuries, and my knees are pretty bad naturally. Though lifting (with proper technique) is very safe, when things go wrong they can go very wrong; for example, I have seen quite a few patients who have damaged their backs from deadlifting improperly.

If you're passionate about bodybuilding, then you will find/make time to do it. What sacrifices that entails you will have to find out when you get there. I doubt I'd be the first to tell you that priorities change with time. With respect to surgery, I think you will be able to manage after residency if it really matters that much to you. If I wanted to, I could find time to lift 3-4 times a week instead of the other sports I do with my current schedule setup.

Members don't see this ad.

What was your perspective on the tough lifestyle as a surgery resident? Some surgeons have commented that surgery is a calling and working 80 hrs/week is just part of your life from now on. Others have mentioned to me that surgery was the best fit for their interests and long residency hours were merely a means to an end (just something to be endured for a few years). Do you feel like if a student is interested in surgery but afraid of the lifestyle that it's alright to see the long hours as a temporary barrier or do students need accept grueling hours as part of life?

I took a grad level orthopedics course during undergrad where we learned some background information on bone, cartilage, and pathophysiologies of different conditions. We also had a live feed to an ortho surgery every week at our local academic hospital. Despite researching the etiology, pathophysiology, and procedural steps associated with each surgery, I couldn't help but be bored with the visuals other than hearing the occasional "pop." I felt the same way while shadowing earlier on with a GS attending. There's only so much blunt dissection that I could pay attention to even if I really enjoy what is going on at a physiological level. I really like the biotech applications to this field (NP delivery, NF scaffolding for spinal cord repair, etc.), the immediate outcomes after interventions, and the hands on approach to care.

Would you attribute any of this disconnect in surgeries to a difference between observing and doing? Like you said it is better to get involved earlier in med school rather than later, but I'm not sure if there is any point given my experiences shadowing.

Thank you
I wish I had a better answer, but it really is unique to the individual. Observing a case and doing a case are very different, based on the experience and capabilities of the person, but not quite in the "disconnected" way you describe. It's more like two halves of a whole, instead of opposite sides of the coin, if that makes any sense. Surgery is "monkey see, monkey do" for a lot of it, but both should evoke some feeling; curiosity, wonder, excitement, fear, etc. The view that "watching is boring, but doing would be fun" is somewhat flawed because often times when the case isn't boring for a viewer, it's frustrating for the surgeon. Many factors dictate the innate "excitement level" of the case (Trauma? Comorbidities? Complications? Zebra?), but surgery as a whole needs to have some element of routine boringness. Otherwise, we're all just cutting into people and seeing how things go.

I'm not sure if my point is coming across clearly, but the bottom line is that if you are finding yourself bored by watching surgery, I don't think that you would find doing surgery any more fulfilling.

P.S. Watching surgery on a screen while sitting in a library or at home is much different than being in the OR. Seeing the patient, handling the instruments, listening to the machines... It just creates this electricity in the air. I liken it to when you go to a concert and the lights fade just as the band you want to see takes the stage. That feeling is what I feel in the OR - its showtime. If you haven't experienced it already, I'd advise to find out if you there is some way you can get in to observe a live surgery, and see how you feel while watching from a few feet away.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How old were you when you applied to medical school and what was your family status? (ex: how many children and their ages)

I'm 22, married, with 2 children - ages 3 and 1. I'm extremely weary that medical school will be very hard on the family life.

Also - have you ever met any physicians that were prior military before deciding they wanted to be a doctor?

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to do this, these are the kind of Q&A threads that answer a lot of questions and keep inspiring people (especially myself) to keep at it.
First off, thank you for your service. I applied when I was 20 going on 21. No kids, but I was engaged. I had my first child during 3rd year, followed by 2 more during residency.

I will tell you that you absolutely will have a difficult time. It will be a struggle, and you will experience setbacks. That being said, it can be done. I had a friend who was a single mom to two young children from a very humble background... Today she is an attending ophthalmologist. Her key was her support system, her mother and sister. If you are fortunate to have such a system in place and feel confident in your abilities, I would think you can do it.

On the other hand, you may find that it is in your family's best interest to put off a medical career for a few years, perhaps give your family some time to settle. I'm making the assumption that you're both relatively new to this parenting thing - taking some time to focus on your kids and relationship may be the best way to have your cake (family life) and eat it too (a promising medical career). The only caution I would have is that your spark for medicine may not burn as bright (but even that could be seen as a good thing by realizing a career as a physician is not right for you after all). If you have any specific topics you'd like to discuss, feel free to ask directly on this thread or PM me.

I know a few physicians who were ex-military. One had a reputation of being a bit of a brute, but for the most part, they were all very pleasant, driven individuals.

First off, thank you for your service. I applied when I was 20 going on 21. No kids, but I was engaged. I had my first child during 3rd year, followed by 2 more during residency.

I will tell you that you absolutely will have a difficult time. It will be a struggle, and you will experience setbacks. That being said, it can be done. I had a friend who was a single mom to two young children from a very humble background... Today she is an attending ophthalmologist. Her key was her support system, her mother and sister. If you are fortunate to have such a system in place and feel confident in your abilities, I would think you can do it.

On the other hand, you may find that it is in your family's best interest to put off a medical career for a few years, perhaps give your family some time to settle. I'm making the assumption that you're both relatively new to this parenting thing - taking some time to focus on your kids and relationship may be the best way to have your cake (family life) and eat it too (a promising medical career). The only caution I would have is that your spark for medicine may not burn as bright (but even that could be seen as a good thing by realizing a career as a physician is not right for you after all). If you have any specific topics you'd like to discuss, feel free to ask directly on this thread or PM me.

I know a few physicians who were ex-military. One had a reputation of being a bit of a brute, but for the most part, they were all very pleasant, driven individuals.

Thanks for the quick response!

I would like to believe I have a good support system in place. Med school is at least a few years away for me, though, I've got around a year and a half left here in the military before I could get out and really devote the time and effort required to finish the last pre-requisetes and properly prepare for the MCAT - as well as any shadowing and volunteering that would need to be done. That said, I would probably be 25 years old before being able to apply - confidently - so hopefully that would be enough time for me to really make sure it's what I want to do.

Again, thanks for doing this!

How does your training and responsibility differ from a neurosurgeon who does spines? Is there any practical difference? How closely are the two fields connected?

Thanks a lot for doing this, by the way! :)
lol @ "a neurosurgeon who does spines" --pretty sure all neurosurgeons are involved in spine work at some point. Cant't just do craniotomies all day.

What was your perspective on the tough lifestyle as a surgery resident? Some surgeons have commented that surgery is a calling and working 80 hrs/week is just part of your life from now on. Others have mentioned to me that surgery was the best fit for their interests and long residency hours were merely a means to an end (just something to be endured for a few years). Do you feel like if a student is interested in surgery but afraid of the lifestyle that it's alright to see the long hours as a temporary barrier or do students need accept grueling hours as part of life?
Depends on your goals. There certainly are surgeons who work 80+ hours a week, but whether they view their work begrudgingly or as a privilege is the key. The thing is that many medical students who are drawn to surgery are naturally the kind of people who want to work a lot and are competitive about everything. This leads to the sort of thinking like "if I'm not working all the time, I'm not as good a surgeon as that guy or as good as I could be" - it may not be obvious but it does exist.

If we're speaking strictly about orthopaedics, I am of the opinion that the benefits FAR outweigh the risks/difficulties, and the grueling residency is necessary to ensure that at the end of 5+ years, you are ready to fly solo. How often you fly from thereon is left up to you.

Hey Doc! Thanks for posting, your a huge help to us students.

1. Is it going to help me to get into ortho residency if im doing bone research but will not get published?
2. What does it take to become an orthopedic doctor? or what separates qualities in a doctor do attendings look at that you can work on from undergrad/medical school?
3. After how many years did you open up your own practice? What's best about having your own practice?
4. Do you feel stressed as a surgeon or is the pressure not stressful anymore (AKA your use the pressure)?
5. Do you think it was JUST your USMLE score that didn't allow you to get into residency the first time or where there other factors?
6. What recommendations would you give an undergraduate student interested in medicine (ortho specifically)?

Sorry for the list of questions, I am very interested in Ortho. I've shadowed a handful of orthopedic surgeons except for a spine surgeon.

Thanks for your time doc!

Hey Doc! Thanks for posting, your a huge help to us students.

1. Is it going to help me to get into ortho residency if im doing bone research but will not get published?
2. What does it take to become an orthopedic doctor? or what separates qualities in a doctor do attendings look at that you can work on from undergrad/medical school?
3. After how many years did you open up your own practice? What's best about having your own practice?
4. Do you feel stressed as a surgeon or is the pressure not stressful anymore (AKA your use the pressure)?
5. Do you think it was JUST your USMLE score that didn't allow you to get into residency the first time or where there other factors?
6. What recommendations would you give an undergraduate student interested in medicine (ortho specifically)?

Sorry for the list of questions, I am very interested in Ortho. I've shadowed a handful of orthopedic surgeons except for a spine surgeon.

Thanks for your time doc!
1) Bone research is a broad term... Is it specifically related to orthopaedics? If so, it may help you decide if orthopaedics is right for you, but it will help little, if any, to gain a competitive edge. Generally, any research is good research. Ortho specific may be a bonus at some places, but the benefit is so marginal that it probably won't matter.
2) I think you're asking what qualities can make you stand out and increase your chances of matching ortho? If so, there are is no specific trait you can cultivate to do that, but surgeons should be able, affable, and available. You can work on being a hard worker and serving your community. Other than that, don't try to mold yourself to fit the image of what you think will be successful; in other words, don't be untrue to yourself in order to further your career goals. You will end up miserable.
3) I have been a solo practice since I completed my fellowship, but I shared an office building with three other surgeons for a year and 3 months before moving into my own office. So... I'm not sure what you're more interested in, having my own business or having my own office?
4) I'm naturally a "laid-back" type of person. So no, I don't feel very stressed. I have it pretty good in terms of family, friends, and finances. My career is rewarding and I feel accomplished. This is a large departure from my medical school and residency years though.
5) There were other factors. I applied to only a handful programs in a very specific area because it was where my wife's next career move would be. The company she worked for actually wanted her to move to the position much earlier, but they agreed to let her stay in her current position until I completed medical school on the condition that after that time had elapsed she would move there immediately. Had I applied much more broadly, I believe I would have matched the first time, but that would have either forced my wife and child to live apart from me or ended my wife's career.
6) There are many recommendations I've already given in earlier answers. Basically, focus on your academics, get experience of what a physician's life is like, and be a positive force in your community.

My interest in ortho has very recently started to solidify; so I am still ignorant on a lot of things. However, I am almost dead set on it. I think it is something I want to do, and I think that it is something that I can do. So I am going to gun for it. Quick tidbit if it helps: I am kind of handy since I have been helping out on construction projects for 15+ years.

Unfortunately, I cannot get into a MD program even though I have a 30+ mcat. I have already reapplied to MD programs, so I don't think that is an option.

I am getting interviews for DO schools, which seems really promising. But since I want to do ortho, and the DO schools that are interested in me don't offer ortho residency spots or have ortho research, what do you suggest I do? I would love to take an ortho AOA spot, but how do I succeed if the DO school I attend has almost zero resources to help me to achieve that goal? Also, I hear that allopathic ortho program directors have a huge bias against recruiting osteo physicians for residencies. With all of these factors, do you think I am screwed? I could really use some guidance here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
1) Bone research is a broad term... Is it specifically related to orthopaedics? If so, it may help you decide if orthopaedics is right for you, but it will help little, if any, to gain a competitive edge. Generally, any research is good research. Ortho specific may be a bonus at some places, but the benefit is so marginal that it probably won't matter.
2) I think you're asking what qualities can make you stand out and increase your chances of matching ortho? If so, there are is no specific trait you can cultivate to do that, but surgeons should be able, affable, and available. You can work on being a hard worker and serving your community. Other than that, don't try to mold yourself to fit the image of what you think will be successful; in other words, don't be untrue to yourself in order to further your career goals. You will end up miserable.
3) I have been a solo practice since I completed my fellowship, but I shared an office building with three other surgeons for a year and 3 months before moving into my own office. So... I'm not sure what you're more interested in, having my own business or having my own office?
4) I'm naturally a "laid-back" type of person. So no, I don't feel very stressed. I have it pretty good in terms of family, friends, and finances. My career is rewarding and I feel accomplished. This is a large departure from my medical school and residency years though.
5) There were other factors. I applied to only a handful programs in a very specific area because it was where my wife's next career move would be. The company she worked for actually wanted her to move to the position much earlier, but they agreed to let her stay in her current position until I completed medical school on the condition that after that time had elapsed she would move there immediately. Had I applied much more broadly, I believe I would have matched the first time, but that would have either forced my wife and child to live apart from me or ended my wife's career.
6) There are many recommendations I've already given in earlier answers. Basically, focus on your academics, get experience of what a physician's life is like, and be a positive force in your community.

Thanks for the response doc!

I do research with the Prostaglandin EP4 receptor, we are trying to clone it and have it expressed in bone cells where it should increase bone density ( in short).

I have a similar question to the lad above me: What characteristics should I look for in a medical school in order to have a greater chance of getting into ortho residency in the future?

Will going DO make it more unlikely to get an Ortho residency?

Thanks again!

@Th
Did you stop lifting because you lost interest or you had to take care of your hands so you do not receive an injury?

I'm really passionate about bodybuilding and I'm 95% positive I want to go into a surgery specialty. Do you think I would have to give up bodybuilding for surgery?
Is that you in your profile pic?

Members don't see this ad :)
For someone who is very interested in spine surgery, would you recommend an orthopedic surgery residency or a neurosurgery residency?

Last edited:
My interest in ortho has very recently started to solidify; so I am still ignorant on a lot of things. However, I am almost dead set on it. I think it is something I want to do, and I think that it is something that I can do. So I am going to gun for it. Quick tidbit if it helps: I am kind of handy since I have been helping out on construction projects for 15+ years.

Unfortunately, I cannot get into a MD program even though I have a 30+ mcat. I have already reapplied to MD programs, so I don't think that is an option.

I am getting interviews for DO schools, which seems really promising. But since I want to do ortho, and the DO schools that are interested in me don't offer ortho residency spots or have ortho research, what do you suggest I do? I would love to take an ortho AOA spot, but how do I succeed if the DO school I attend has almost zero resources to help me to achieve that goal? Also, I hear that allopathic ortho program directors have a huge bias against recruiting osteo physicians for residencies. With all of these factors, do you think I am screwed? I could really use some guidance here.

Thanks in advance.

PS the school that is on the top of my list is Western University in Pomona.
It's good to be interested; it's foolhardy to be "dead set" on anything. And your handiness due to familiarity with construction is good for you to have an inclination toward ortho, but those direct skills will likely not matter for matching. Residency programs are built on the foundation that they will teach you to operate, whether you've been working with your hands for 15+ years or not. They do not select candidates based on "this person has a lot of experience working with their hands so it will be easier to teach them," but instead, "this person will make a great surgeon, and they will work extra hard to meet our standards."

Congratulations on your interviews. If you attend a DO school that doesn't have an affiliated ortho residency program, it will be more difficult but not impossible. Like I mentioned earlier, focus on your academics above all else. Apply for a summer research position at the NIH or a similar program. Pick up some away rotations and go above and beyond in your assignments (note: that does not mean brown-nosing the attendings). Just because a school doesn't have resources readily available does not mean that there aren't people there willing to help if you show interest, and it does not mean that you're "screwed" - you might just have to put forth extra effort to explore those options.

In general, I don't think allopathic residency directors have a bias against DO students, at least not in recent years. They may have a bias against certain DO schools, but those tend to be the institutions that are under scrutiny by their accreditors. The case is the same with MD schools. Your class grades and performance on the USMLE will prove your capabilities; it then becomes a matter of how well you mesh with the atmosphere of the program.

Western is a solid program, from what I understand. One of the residents in my allopathic program was from there, and the doctor I talked about in an earlier post (#57) was also a Western graduate. Additionally, the father of one of my close friends was a member of the charter class at Western.

@orthos What is the best way to get started if we are interested in ortho hand work? I know this is a subspecialty, but would it be a good idea to show interest and explore early on?

It's good to be interested; it's foolhardy to be "dead set" on anything. And your handiness due to familiarity with construction is good for you to have an inclination toward ortho, but those direct skills will likely not matter for matching. Residency programs are built on the foundation that they will teach you to operate, whether you've been working with your hands for 15+ years or not. They do not select candidates based on "this person has a lot of experience working with their hands so it will be easier to teach them," but instead, "this person will make a great surgeon, and they will work extra hard to meet our standards."

Congratulations on your interviews. If you attend a DO school that doesn't have an affiliated ortho residency program, it will be more difficult but not impossible. Like I mentioned earlier, focus on your academics above all else. Apply for a summer research position at the NIH or a similar program. Pick up some away rotations and go above and beyond in your assignments (note: that does not mean brown-nosing the attendings). Just because a school doesn't have resources readily available does not mean that there aren't people there willing to help if you show interest, and it does not mean that you're "screwed" - you might just have to put forth extra effort to explore those options.

In general, I don't think allopathic residency directors have a bias against DO students, at least not in recent years. They may have a bias against certain DO schools, but those tend to be the institutions that are under scrutiny by their accreditors. The case is the same with MD schools. Your class grades and performance on the USMLE will prove your capabilities; it then becomes a matter of how well you mesh with the atmosphere of the program.

Western is a solid program, from what I understand. One of the residents in my allopathic program was from there, and the doctor I talked about in an earlier post (#57) was also a Western graduate. Additionally, the father of one of my close friends was a member of the charter class at Western.

I apologize if I was not clear. My background in construction has sparked my interest in ortho and is why I am interested in the field. I just wanted to provide that tidbit so that you have a better understanding of who I am.

You mention class grades are important. Do you mean pre-clinical grades or clinical grades, or both? Thanks in advanced.

Also, how does ethnicity play a role in landing ortho. How does being URM or ORM affect the match process for ortho?

For someone who is very interested in spine surgery, would you recommend an orthopedic surgery residency or a neurosurgery residency?
It's odd for anyone to be interested in "spine surgery" from the get-go...Most are interested in all that a particular field has to offer, so I'd advise you to look at what you like more, neuro or ortho, first.

Neuro sees spine a lot earlier and a lot more in residency relative to ortho.

@orthos Would you do the same or use a synthetic bone graft? He uses a bone graft mix with bone marrow for filling.
24:34
http://ortho.broadcastmed.com/4033/...surgery-for-relief-of-chronic-lower-back-pain
I've done both. Sometimes we take the lamina and reuse it as that surgeon has done, sometimes we get take the bone from the pelvis instead. Sometimes we use donor bone. Synthetic products are pretty good as well, but tend to drive up costs, which my hospital (and many others) does not like.

Disclaimer: I'm not asking for medical advice

Just to be up front, I am going to be having major spine surgery. Do you have any recommendations on how to choose an ortho? Like I'm trying to get a second opinion, but how do I chose who to go with if they suggest something different than the first surgeon? What is the sign of a good ortho?

@orthos What is the best way to get started if we are interested in ortho hand work? I know this is a subspecialty, but would it be a good idea to show interest and explore early on?
I would focus 100% of my efforts on general orthopaedics first. If you happen upon some interesting work done with hand specifically, consider it a bonus and you can use that experience as a sort of lead in when talking about fellowships. Other than that, don't think that having a ton of hand related ortho work will guarantee you anything! Keep working hard.

I apologize if I was not clear. My background in construction has sparked my interest in ortho and is why I am interested in the field. I just wanted to provide that tidbit so that you have a better understanding of who I am.

You mention class grades are important. Do you mean pre-clinical grades or clinical grades, or both? Thanks in advanced.

Also, how does ethnicity play a role in landing ortho. How does being URM or ORM affect the match process for ortho?
All grades are important. Clinical may have a bit more weight than pre-clinical (since residency directors can assess your knowledge base using step 1 scores).

I'm not quite sure what you're asking in regards to ethnicity. I don't believe being of a specific ethnic background plays a significant role for matching ortho. Your grades/scores are key. I don't know what you mean by "being URM or ORM," so I cannot comment on that.

I've done both. Sometimes we take the lamina and reuse it as that surgeon has done, sometimes we get take the bone from the pelvis instead. Sometimes we use donor bone. Synthetic products are pretty good as well, but tend to drive up costs, which my hospital (and many others) does not like.
I hear that.

Do you ever plan to open your own private practice? What would make the ultimate private practice for an orthopedic surgeon(s)?

I don't know what you mean by "being URM or ORM," so I cannot comment on that.
URM stands for underrepresented minority in medicine. URM's consist of blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans.

ORM stands for Overrepresented in medicine. ORM's consist from white, Asians, and South Asians.

@orthos One of these days you might see a flame war about people thinking URM's have it easy because we supposedly only get into medical school because of our race.

Have you ever heard of a rotationplasty? Have you ever done one?

Disclaimer: I'm not asking for medical advice

Just to be up front, I am going to be having major spine surgery. Do you have any recommendations on how to choose an ortho? Like I'm trying to get a second opinion, but how do I chose who to go with if they suggest something different than the first surgeon? What is the sign of a good ortho?
What I try to do with all of my surgical candidates is help them make the absolute best decision for their own health. I leave nothing out when discussing the diagnosis, the procedure, the risks, benefits, and alternatives. No question goes unanswered. My job is not to pressure or mislead a patient into getting surgery done. Sure, I will be very clear if I think that the surgery is an absolute, or borderline, time-sensitive issue (i.e. a patient who will most likely suffer irreparable damage, paralysis, or death without intervention) and I will be firm when those patients express fear or uncertainty. If there is any doubt in your mind about the intentions of your surgeon being something other than interest in your health, you should seek another party. The best surgeons are not the ones who are the most skilled in the operating room, they are the ones who are the most skilled at talking with you, informing you, and guiding you to make a decision based on sound judgment and experience.

In the case that you obtain a second opinion who suggests an alternative method, they should be able to explain why the feel their recommendation is not only beneficial, but why it is a better option than the other surgeon. Sometimes, it may be necessary to get a third opinion and have that physician help you analyze the different approaches suggested.

Do you feel like the procedures themselves are what pushed you towards pursuing spine?

I've read some of your earlier posts, and yes I understand the many facets beyond the technical aspects. I always hear about these "ah ha" moments where people suddenly realize what they want to do.

@The Buff OP posted a link http://www.orlive.com/

I'm just wondering how influential the procedures themselves were on your career

I hear that.

Do you ever plan to open your own private practice? What would make the ultimate private practice for an orthopedic surgeon(s)?
I currently have my own private practice, independent (mostly) of my contract with the hospital.

The "ultimate" practice would be a matter of debate between surgeons, with focus varying on income, patient volume, types of cases, etc. Can't give a very good answer, I'm afraid.

1. Would you do it again?

2. Is it possible to make $1 million+ clean every year?

3. Possible to have 50-60 hour weeks with weekends off? (making 300k+, not 1 million)

URM stands for underrepresented minority in medicine. URM's consist of blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans.

ORM stands for Overrepresented in medicine. ORM's consist from white, Asians, and South Asians.

@orthos One of these days you might see a flame war about people thinking URM's have it easy because we supposedly only get into medical school because of our race.

I don't know how those terms came about; from what I understand, we need more representatives in medicine, regardless of race or ethnicity.

Do you feel like the procedures themselves are what pushed you towards pursuing spine?

I've read some of your earlier posts, and yes I understand the many facets beyond the technical aspects. I always hear about these "ah ha" moments where people suddenly realize what they want to do.

@The Buff OP posted a link http://www.orlive.com/

I'm just wondering how influential the procedures themselves were on your career
Let's just say I would not have subspecialized if I didn't enjoy the procedures immensely. I remember the first time I saw the exposed spine, I thought it was glorious.

1. Would you do it again?

2. Is it possible to make $1 million+ clean every year?

3. Possible to have 50-60 hour weeks with weekends off? (making 300k+, not 1 million)
1) Absolutely.
2) I believe it is. Others have done it.
3) Yes, but in most cases, not until you are well established in your practice.

1) Absolutely.
2) I believe it is. Others have done it.
3) Yes, but in most cases, not until you are well established in your practice.
Being an orthopedic surgeon isn't really for those who seek to "settle down" in their late 30s, early 40s, is it?

Let's just say I would not have subspecialized if I didn't enjoy the procedures immensely. I remember the first time I saw the exposed spine, I thought it was glorious.

I gotta thing for the spine myself, love the complexity and integration of the nervous system. But I've always been mechanically minded and some of these joint procedures are BAD@$$

Do you feel like a trauma fellowship allows you to still be fairly general?? The hours sound rough, but its still shift work right?

Being an orthopedic surgeon isn't really for those who seek to "settle down" in their late 30s, early 40s, is it?
Well, I'm more or less settled down (wife, kids, etc.) and I am in my early to mid 30s. It depends on what opportunities you find, but in general, ortho and most surgical specialties is for workhorses.

Well, I'm more or less settled down (wife, kids, etc.) and I am in my early to mid 30s. It depends on what opportunities you find, but in general, ortho and most surgical specialties is for workhorses.
Are you satisfied with the amount of time you get to see you family?

I don't know how those terms came about; from what I understand, we need more representatives in medicine, regardless of race or ethnicity.
I hear yah, but I think the URM plays a big role because you have these people who come from underserved areas and can relate and have a better understanding of what people have to go through. I'm Mexican-American and having parents who were illegal immigrants, I never had the chance to go to good schools or grow up in a nice community.

Wow! You are pretty young. That age and already a orthopedic spine surgeon. :thumbup: How long have you been practicing?

I currently have my own private practice, independent (mostly) of my contract with the hospital.

The "ultimate" practice would be a matter of debate between surgeons, with focus varying on income, patient volume, types of cases, etc. Can't give a very good answer, I'm afraid.
Maybe and all in one service? This one hospital I know of has a building just for orthopedics. They offer spine, sports medicine, joint replacement, hand & wrist, foot & ankle, and finally physical therapy. :D

I gotta thing for the spine myself, love the complexity and integration of the nervous system. But I've always been mechanically minded and some of these joint procedures are BAD@$$

Do you feel like a trauma fellowship allows you to still be fairly general?? The hours sound rough, but its still shift work right?
One of the orthopaedic surgeons in my community has a trauma fellowship, but his practice is all general ortho and he does not take on anymore call than the rest of us. You certainly can take a more trauma-oriented approach to your practice, and the scope can range from designated shift work to basically always being on-call.

Maybe and all in one service? This one hospital I know of has a building just for orthopedics. They offer spine, sports medicine, joint replacement, hand & wrist, foot & ankle, and finally physical therapy. :D
Oh, now I understand your question. There are a lot of pros and cons about those types of practices too, and they differ among the new and older surgeons. I'm rather fond of multiple-specialty practices, but you need the right infrastructure and personalities to support it.

Would you recommend not getting into a serious relationship until your are in residency since many say it is all about getting into residency and when your in your pretty much set.