Orthopedics after failing a preclinical course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Didntdoit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed a preclinical course and have to remediate by retaking it. But, since my first courseI have passed everything else and have even gotten honors in my last course - neuro. Is orthopedics a closed door for me even assuming a 235+ usmle? I have not much research, some public health experience, and some ethics experience. I am at a top 20 allopathic school. I love surgery; I can cut stuff all day long every day for the rest of my life.

Members don't see this ad.

No, preclinical courses are not that important. Continue to work hard with the goal of crushing STEP 1. When you hit the wards continue to study hard and be a genuinely nice person. With diligent studies and interest you'll get great clinical grades.

Its never to late to get some research started. It is amazing what a simple email can do, send one sooner rather than later.

STEP 1>Clinical Grades/aways>LORs>research>>>preclinical grades

Its a little old but check out the following: Orthopaedic Resident-Selection Criteria
BY ADAM D. BERNSTEIN, MD, LAITH M. JAZRAWI, MD, BASIL ELBESHBESHY, MD, CRAIG J. DELLA VALLE, MD, AND JOSEPH D. ZUCKERMAN, MD

new stats show average is 240+ on step 1. Be prepared to address the failed course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our dean of students mentioned that the average for matched applicants was 245 this year.

Our dean of students mentioned that the average for matched applicants was 245 this year.

Yeah. I figured between now and third year my goal should be dominating step 1 and racking up as many honors as possible in preclinical courses to overcome my first course.

Contrary to what a lot of people have said, preclinical grades do matter. I know for a fact that my home program (which is highly ranked in ortho) refuses to interview people who are not at least in the top 1/2 of the class. They will actually not even approve you to apply for ortho (or will try and strongly 'discourage' you) if you don't have decent preclinical and third year grades. Just a heads up from someone that figured this out almost too late in the game.