orthopedics or urology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

warmbody09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello people. I could really use your advice.

I am interested in Urology however, I am also considering Orthopedics. I have to decide soon as our school requires us to choose pathways. I have not done my surgery rotation yet, so I can't decide and ask your advice.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

well.... do you like bones or boners more?

sorry, couldn't help myself

Seriously! How Do you end up deciding between those two?:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what I have heard you ortho guys can comment on this:

Ortho - repetitive, must do fellowships to be well off, lots of trauma/on call/emergencies, majority of work is in OR.

Uro: evolving, genitals!!!, less emergencies/calls. majority of work is outpatient

Ortho - repetitive, must do fellowships to be well off, lots of trauma/on call/emergencies, majority of work is in OR.

Uro: evolving, genitals!!!, less emergencies/calls. majority of work is outpatient

You've got more bias than the new york times... how do you classify uro as evolving but ortho as repetitive -- All specialties are "repetitive" because you see the same problems many times, that's the only way to get good at something.

Furthermore, it's stupid that your school makes you choose pathways before you do rotations in everything.

There aren't many similarities between urology and ortho besides them both being surgical and having high reimbursements.

Think which problems you find more interesting and could see yourself enjoying most for the remainder of your career.

I liked ortho because I thought trauma was cool, and like the variety of possible subspecialties: sports medicine, spine surgery, hand surgery. Plus patients tend to get better - very gratifying. Depending on where you do residency you do not have to do a fellowship to do well, there is high demand for general orthopedists.

Urology I thought was interesting. they did a lot of prostate stuff, which I don't like as much -- kind of depressing to me. You can have more of an office based practice doing smaller procedures and cystoscopies. Or you can be doing big open surgeries, like bladder resections/reconstructions and whatever else urologists do.

Uro definitely gets less ER call than ortho.

If you're good at it, it's repetitive.

If it's new and novel, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

And is there really a requirement to do fellowships in order to be "well off"?

And is there really a requirement to do fellowships in order to be "well off"?

To answer the OPs/your question (I'm not sure if it is rhetorical), absolutely not. General orthopods working in smaller communities are very well compensated. Your need to do a fellowship depends on your comfort level after residency and/or if you want to work in a larger city or with a large multispecialty group practice.

The current trend seems to be to receive fellowship training.