Orthopedics: Residency vs. Specialization?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jadajar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

As I'm making my way through my DPT program at University of St. Augustine, I'm contemplating what my career plans will be post-graduation. I know that I will definitely want to do Orthopedic PT, and my ultimate goal is to reach a level of competence and experience that will make me very credible and successful in Orthopedics.

What are your guys' thoughts on doing a residency in orthopedics vs. obtaining my OCS? From my understanding (PLEASE correct me on any of these details if I'm incorrect!!), doing a residency will provide me mentorship in contrast to the OCS. On the other hand, it would also take me more time and money to enroll in a residency.

I have not excluded the idea of obtaining my OCS AND taking a residency, especially if doing both of these would help me reach my career.

I was wondering what are your thoughts as far as practicality in these ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

As I'm making my way through my DPT program at University of St. Augustine, I'm contemplating what my career plans will be post-graduation. I know that I will definitely want to do Orthopedic PT, and my ultimate goal is to reach a level of competence and experience that will make me very credible and successful in Orthopedics.

What are your guys' thoughts on doing a residency in orthopedics vs. obtaining my OCS? From my understanding (PLEASE correct me on any of these details if I'm incorrect!!), doing a residency will provide me mentorship in contrast to the OCS. On the other hand, it would also take me more time and money to enroll in a residency.

I have not excluded the idea of obtaining my OCS AND taking a residency, especially if doing both of these would help me reach my career.

I was wondering what are your thoughts as far as practicality in these ideas?

Thanks in advance!
A residency allows you to sit for the OCS, as does 1 year of full time experience in orthopedics.

Reactions: 1 users
the residency sets you up well to sit for the OCS exam and mentors you specifically for that exam. but if you're working with a big outpatient clinic, usually they have their own OCS tracts to help you pay for and pass that exam. all roads lead to the same place, the exam. also consider that OCS residency programs will probably pay you less, make you teach, and make you do research especially if affiliated with a bigger hospital. from speaking with companies, they usually want a person with a year's experience before OCS residency.

As noyceguy said, you can apply for a residency and get all the mentoring you need to be able to sit and successfully (hopefully) pass the OCS exam. OR you can work in the outpatient setting for a certain time period (2000 hrs patient contact) and be able to prove it and then take the OCS exam.