Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else who is applying to programs this year noticed that St John Providence Health System-Osteo Div Program, Madison Heights, MI
AOA ID: 182007, Emergency Medicine, it unable to be clicked/selected? This is the only programs I've noticed like that. Does this mean that they aren't accepting applications yet?
the program probably hasn't clicked the button for the next cycle of applicants yet. my program is the same

Members don't see this ad.

I was hoping someone can help me out here. Here are my stats:
COMLEX 1 = 466
COMLEX 2 = Taking in 1 week
COMLEX PE = Passed on first try
USMLE 1 = Fail (by 3 points)
GPA = 3.0, Rank 117/133
Tons of extracurricular activities and leadership
Clinical grades are half honors and half passes but really good strong comments from each preceptor.
I also have 4 LOR's, two of which are from ER preceptors.

I just need to know what you guys think my chances are. I will be reporting my USMLE scores to all programs (I'm only applying AOA) because I think it would be worse if they find out later that I did take it and didn't report it.

I have 3 auditions set up for August, October, and November....but now I'm starting to get a bit worried with how EM is getting more competitive. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Do well on auditions and have a backup in place like fm/Im. Also apply to newer program and also research ones have less than 500 cutoff

Is there any benefit to applying to AOA programs sooner (today) rather than later (early to mid august) even though my ERAS application is incomplete? I only have 2 LORs uploaded which aren't even from ER physicians and personal statement is still in progress. I plan on focusing mainly on ACGME programs but still wonder if I should just go ahead and submit my application to the AOA programs I am interested in. At this point they will only have my 2 LORs, my COMLEX 1 (COMLEX 2 score should be out first or second week of Aug), cv, and school transcript. Thoughts??

The earlier the better on the DO side. Know multiple people who waited and the number of interviews they got compared to those who applied early was much less. The main part of the app needs to be complete. You can submit even without LORs. Some programs will invite you to interview without them...some also require them.

Members don't see this ad :)
COMLEX 1 = 466
GPA = 3.0, Rank 117/133
Clinical grades are half honors and half passes but really good strong comments from each preceptor.

I just need to know what you guys think my chances are. I will be reporting my USMLE scores to all programs (I'm only applying AOA) because I think it would be worse if they find out later that I did take it and didn't report it.

I have 3 auditions set up for August, October, and November....but now I'm starting to get a bit worried with how EM is getting more competitive. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Auditions will be key for you. Some programs will bypass your app simply because of your comlex 1 score. EM programs in general put more weight on COMLEX 2, so it would really help if you nail it. Going down would be a red flag. Unless they changed it from last year, DO programs can only see your COMLEX scores.

COMLEX 1 = 466
GPA = 3.0, Rank 117/133

apply broadly, concentrate on places that are undesirable or new.
I wouldn't say anything about your usmle unless asked. don't lie, but don't offer either
it's tough but not impossible to get EM, pull out all the stops
do every shadowing, interviewing, going to lectures as much as possible. face time will help
good luck on step 2, crush it!

Reactions: 1 user
The earlier the better on the DO side. Know multiple people who waited and the number of interviews they got compared to those who applied early was much less. The main part of the app needs to be complete. You can submit even without LORs. Some programs will invite you to interview without them...some also require them.

Agree with DO3, apply as early as possible even if you don't have a complete app or only have 1-2 LORs. I know some people on here have said it's not a big deal to apply a few weeks or a month later, but I'm still on the side of applying ASAP, the early bird gets the worm.

Agree with DO3, apply as early as possible even if you don't have a complete app or only have 1-2 LORs. I know some people on here have said it's not a big deal to apply a few weeks or a month later, but I'm still on the side of applying ASAP, the early bird gets the worm.

+1. Applied with one em LOR last cycle right when eras opened and started getting invites mid August before any SLOE or other EM LORs were uploaded. GL. PM if you have more questions.

Is there any benefit to applying to AOA programs sooner (today) rather than later (early to mid august) even though my ERAS application is incomplete? I only have 2 LORs uploaded which aren't even from ER physicians and personal statement is still in progress. I plan on focusing mainly on ACGME programs but still wonder if I should just go ahead and submit my application to the AOA programs I am interested in. At this point they will only have my 2 LORs, my COMLEX 1 (COMLEX 2 score should be out first or second week of Aug), cv, and school transcript. Thoughts??

Absolutely send in your application sooner rather than later.

apply broadly, concentrate on places that are undesirable or new.
I wouldn't say anything about your usmle unless asked. don't lie, but don't offer either
it's tough but not impossible to get EM, pull out all the stops
do every shadowing, interviewing, going to lectures as much as possible. face time will help
good luck on step 2, crush it!

Thank you!!

Your COMLEX 1 and USMLE 1 are in the same ranges as mine were, as is your class rank and 3rd year grades. I applied broadly AOA and ACGME and matched ACGME at my #1 program. You're going to have a great chance at most AOA programs, except the ones where you have to rotate to have a shot. As far as ACGME, a lot has to do with where you apply. Be realistic. Make sure you're applying to programs who have a history of taking DO's every year. Make sure you apply to Midwest programs, as a lot of them are DO friendly. Bite the bullet and apply to a ton of ACGME programs. I know it's expensive, but what isn't in the medical school process? My COMLEX 2 also went up almost 100 points. I didn't take USMLE 2. If you have two great SLOE's you will be in good shape.

Thanks for the advice!

When do interview invites typically go out?
Got a couple before the end of July. A few in August. Most in September and October. Don't freak out if you don't have many and it's still August. I did and applied to like 5 more programs. Then in September and October, all the ones that I wanted began to trickle in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a couple before the end of July. A few in August. Most in September and October. Don't freak out if you don't have many and it's still August. I did and applied to like 5 more programs. Then in September and October, all the ones that I wanted began to trickle in.

I second this.

How should one approach applying to dually accredited programs? Example: Applied to Lehigh and St Lukes on AOA side. Should I apply again on ACGME side when I may end up forgoing AOA match all together? Or should I not have applied to them on the DO side of things and just applied via ACGME side?? So confused right now... Thanks

As for Lehigh Valley, I know you can enter the DO or MD match. However I remember hearing when I rotated there, that as a DO you have a better chance of getting in through the DO match. But I met one DO there who matched through the MD match, so that's still possible. I'm pretty sure that St Lukes matches MDs and DOs through separate matches; meaning that as a DO you have to match through the DO match. I know that Sparrow matches DOs through the DO match only (and makes you do another year than MDs matching). Other than that I'm not familiar with other dual programs.

Anyone heard anything back yet?

You can apply to dual programs on both sides.

How should one approach applying to dually accredited programs? Example: Applied to Lehigh and St Lukes on AOA side. Should I apply again on ACGME side when I may end up forgoing AOA match all together? Or should I not have applied to them on the DO side of things and just applied via ACGME side?? So confused right now... Thanks

For St. Luke's, the DO program is 4 years and the MD program is 3 years. They take DOs in both matches. For Lehigh Valley, they rank their absolute best candidates. Once everyone has interviewed, they decide how many spots to allocate to the DO match and how many to allocate to the MD match. They said the numbers change from year to year based on how strong their candidates are on each side. But they take DOs in both matches as well.

Haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully we will hear something by Thursday.

As for dual programs, I'm just going to apply to the DO match. It makes no sense for a dual program to give an MD spot to a DO when they have both.

Haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully we will hear something by Thursday.

As for dual programs, I'm just going to apply to the DO match. It makes no sense for a dual program to give an MD spot to a DO when they have both.

I'll be honest with you...I wish I had applied to the dual programs in both matches. Would have given me a lot more options when I chose to forego the DO match. Everything ended up working out, but I was in a very uncomfortable position. When it comes time to pick which match you're gonna do, just be upfront and honest with those programs as to which match you are gonna do.

I applied day after ERAS opened. Only 2/4 possible LOR were in. Received first interview invite today!!

Apply early.

Can someone please post a gif that describes getting a message from ERAS and thinking it's an interview invite, realizing the site doesn't work on your iPhone, frantically trying to find a computer, finding said computer only to realize the message says they've received your application?

Can someone please post a gif that describes getting a message from ERAS and thinking it's an interview invite, realizing the site doesn't work on your iPhone, frantically trying to find a computer, finding said computer only to realize the message says they've received your application?

Download fox browser to prevent that lol

keyboardsmash.gif

I applied day after ERAS opened. Only 2/4 possible LOR were in. Received first interview invite today!!

Apply early.

Can we start getting a list together of places that have sent invites out so far....

Can we start getting a list together of places that have sent invites out so far....

Doctor's Hospital- Columbus, OH.

One other program sent me that fun "we've received your application" message. The excitement was high....until I opened the message. haha. I'd bet it's from the same program.....

Doctor's Hospital- Columbus, OH.

One other program sent me that fun "we've received your application" message. The excitement was high....until I opened the message. haha. I'd bet it's from the same program.....

How complete was your app? i.e. Are all your letters in?

Reactions: 1 users
Lol I think this is a clip from a Nigerian movie. I got my first invite today too. Only one letter in (Non em)
Good to know... I just got my first LOR in (using new LORs) and submitted them tonight.

Quick question... on ADTS I noticed that some dates are in blue and others in black. Does anyone know what the significance (if any) are?
ADTS.PNG

[QUOTE="Quick question... on ADTS I noticed that some dates are in blue and others in black. Does anyone know what the significance (if any) are? View attachment 184539[/QUOTE]

i emailed them about this previously. this was their response:

Hello Traitorman,

Thank you for your inquiry. Ignore the color shades, because they don't mean anything. This is a common question that confuses applicants. We apologize for the confusion.

Regards,
Eric W.
ERAS Staff
Association of American Medical Colleges
655 K Street, N.W. Washington D.C. 20001-2399
If you need additional assistance, please include the full text of this
email in your response and your Login ID.

If I apply to dually-accredited AOA/ACGME residencies through the MD match - how many years will residency be, 3 or 4?

Thank you!

If I apply to dually-accredited AOA/ACGME residencies through the MD match - how many years will residency be, 3 or 4?

Thank you!
Depends on the program. Something like Einstein it's 4 either way. Others that just link an internship year on the beginning for DOs it will be 3.

I know for Sparrow in MI, DOs do 4 and have to match through AOA while MDs do 3 and match through ACGME. At Lehigh Valley in PA everyone does 4 but you can match through AOA or ACGME as a DO.

So... quick question. I noticed that there seems to have been 4 different sites (maybe 5... I thought I pan applied, but, yea...) that were just added, with a couple being added recently that I know wasn't on before because I went hunting after finding them listed on the AOA website. All of the following were listed in the press release last year regarding new 2014 residencies, however none of them currently have EM residency webpages on their hospital's site.

• Coney Island 362374
  • Arnot Ogden 362373
  • Norman Regional 362380
  • Carilon New River 362384 (Already has an ACGME EM residency in the hospital system)
As of the time of this post, all four are listed in ERAS, but are ghosted out indicating they aren't accepting applications yet. Does anyone know if any of these sites took EM residents last year?

For programs on ERAS with two boxes to click - ie Sparrow Hospital/MSU has EM/SACM C1 (categorical) & EM C0 (Categorical) - what is the difference between these two? Are you supposed to click both to apply?

Thank you!

Starting the invite list (note I did not personally receive invites for every place listed) ......

St. Mary Mercy (Livonia, MI)
MSU Sparrow (Lansing, MI)
WVSOM Ohio Valley (Wheeling, WV)
St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Kent Hospital (Warwick, RI)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Kent Hospital (Warwick, RI)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
When did you guys send in your applications? How many weeks until you heard about interviews?

When did you guys send in your applications? How many weeks until you heard about interviews?

I applied an hour after it opened in July... Heard nothing for a month until 4 interview invites came rolling in last week. MSU Sparrow, WVSOM Ohio Valley, MSU St. Mary Mercy, and St. Barnabas in the Bronx. I applied with one sloe, one lor from a core rotation, comlex 1, usmle 1 and the comlex PE.

For those interested in Michigan programs... From my experience last year for the Michigan osteo programs: Sparrow and St. Mary's send out their invites relatively early (August). The rest are later compared to Michigan and the rest of the country, like mid-late September.

I applied an hour after it opened in July... Heard nothing for a month until 4 interview invites came rolling in last week. MSU Sparrow, WVSOM Ohio Valley, MSU St. Mary Mercy, and St. Barnabas in the Bronx. I applied with one sloe, one lor from a core rotation, comlex 1, usmle 1 and the comlex PE.
Nice! I've only got an invite from St. Mary Mercy so far. I would be less anxious if I had as many interview offers as you. :)

Nice! I've only got an invite from St. Mary Mercy so far. I would be less anxious if I had as many interview offers as you. :)

Only a few programs seem to be extending offers so far, I am sure you will get a ton soon! I applied to a pretty big chunk of AOA programs, so I was bound to get several at some point I think.

Has anyone else had trouble scheduling their interview at WVSOM Ohio Valley? I called and emailed for the past week but no answer.