Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone else had trouble scheduling their interview at WVSOM Ohio Valley? I called and emailed for the past week but no answer.

All I had to do was email the coordinator back with my date (the instructions said email or call)... She never emailed me back a confirmation, but I assume I got what I asked for. What are you having a problem with?

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed the coordinator with my date and never got anything back either so I called to confirm. It goes straight to voicemail. I guess she's just out of the office.

so I'm planning on having one DO SLOE and one dual SLOE by early October (hopefully). I can potentially get an additional EM LOR to have my app considered complete before I get my 2nd SLOE and increase my chances for interviews (average comlex score). The problem is that I only have access to MD doctors, and I already have one non-EM letter who is also MD. (that's just how my 3rd year rotations ended up). Will programs look at this negatively? (two MD letters before my SLOEs)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one EM LOR and EM SLOE submitted (already have a few invites) and one more EM LOR in the works. Should I try to get a second SLOE from the audition I'm currently at or should I be fine with two EM LORs and one SLOE? ... is one SLOE sufficient for most AOA programs? THANKS!

so I'm planning on having one DO SLOE and one dual SLOE by early October (hopefully). I can potentially get an additional EM LOR to have my app considered complete before I get my 2nd SLOE and increase my chances for interviews (average comlex score). The problem is that I only have access to MD doctors, and I already have one non-EM letter who is also MD. (that's just how my 3rd year rotations ended up). Will programs look at this negatively? (two MD letters before my SLOEs)

MD SLOEs are fine. The only one I have in right now is from an ACGME program, written by an MD. Plus I have another LOR thats Obgyn written by an MD. It hasn't hindered me from getting interviews. In fact I am not even sure that I will have any DO letters when I am done submitting all of my upcoming SLOEs...

I have one EM LOR and EM SLOE submitted (already have a few invites) and one more EM LOR in the works. Should I try to get a second SLOE from the audition I'm currently at or should I be fine with two EM LORs and one SLOE? ... is one SLOE sufficient for most AOA programs? THANKS!

If you think it will be a strong letter, why not get it...? Also, some AOA programs will require two SLOEs. I just got an email from St. Josephs Regional today that said I needed 2 SLOEs specifically.

If you are applying ACGME, their programs mostly require one, but many of the program directors I have spoken with in the last few years have said 2 or more is best. Hope this helps!

In my opinion, you should ask for a letter or SLOE from any away/audition you do. Even if you plan on not using it as one of your four. I was asked more than once in interviews why I did not get an LoR from a certain place I rotated at. It wasn't asked in a negative way, more of just curiosity.

For anyone that got the St. Barnabas interview invite last Friday from the PD, did you get a follow up email from the coordinator with dates this week?? I haven't and I kind of want to make sure I didn't miss it somewhere.

Also... Just to keep this going, got another interview invite today...

Invite List

St. Mary Mercy (Livonia, MI)
MSU Sparrow (Lansing, MI)
WVSOM Ohio Valley (Wheeling, WV)
St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Kent Hospital (Warwick, RI)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
OUCOM Marietta Hospital (Marietta, OH)

CORE/Adena health system (Chillicothe OH)

RowanSOM/Inspira (Vineland, NJ)
St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
Mount Sinai (Miami Beach, FL)
NEOMEN/St. Joseph's (Paterson, NJ)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm currently a 1st year EM resident over at St. Mary's Mercy in Livonia and rotated here last year as well. Doesn't seem to be much info out there about the program and the website is kind of dated so if you have any questions regarding the program ask away. I will say that they are definitely big on EM auditions for interviews spots, however, only half my intern class of 6 rotated through here. 2 of the 3 that didn't rotate here had comlex scores in the 600s plus. Not sure what the 3rd intern scored but was a strong applicant nonetheless. Its is a primarily ACGME hospital with IM, FM, and Psyche residencies but the osteopathic EM residency is definitely seen as the strongest component of the GME department. They are also already set up for the ACGME/AOA merger and have already put in the proposal.
High acuity/very sick population here as we deal with a significant amount of geriatric patients. We also only ask for consults if we absolutely need to and get all ED procedures including intubations and chest tubes. No surgery/surgery subspecialty residencies to compete with. We also have a dedicated Anesthesia month where residents typically get around 100 intubations over the course of the month.
Very down to earth faculty and residents here and nursing staff is amazing. Faculty is an even mix of MDs and DOs, and almost all of them graduated from big ACGME programs in Michigan like Henry Ford, U of M, and DMC. We also have one faculty member with Ultrasound specialization who graduated from St. Lukes EM program in NY and guides you along to meet the requirements for certification in Ultrasound if you are interested. All faculty members that I've worked with so far love to teach, and as in every EM program, each attending has his/her own style.
Only 1 IM wards month, and 1 IM night float month and these are both done intern year. Trauma is done 2nd and 3rd year at a huge knife and gun club hospital in Detroit, St. John's Medical Center. Not as crazy as DMC/Sinai but crazy enough. 3rd year residents run the trauma team at St. John's and from what I've heard is a super tough yet amazing learning experience. Peds EM rotations are also done at St. John's even though we do see a decent amount of peds at St. Mary's.
Residents here are great. No one seems to have any beef with anyone. All laid back and always willing to lend a helping hand or teach. There is No "throw you into the fire" type learning. The faculty wants to make sure you have enough time the first couple of months to learn the ropes and ease you in. Didactics are interactive and lots of guest speakers come through.
As with most Osteopathic EM programs, the downside is that we are based at a community hospital and are not part of a powerhouse academic center like U of M. We don't exactly have a large research/publication presence, but things are changing. If you are more into big academic programs, St. Mary should not be near the top of your list. Another arguable downside is the volume. Its around 50k a year, but we just became an official Level 2 Trauma center a couple of months ago and volume is slowly increasing. With lower volume, however, along with level of acuity of most of these patients, the learning and management curve is vast. Sometimes I feel like we run a fast paced ICU due to the complexity of a lot of the cases we see.
Anyways, hope I covered a good chunk of what you all would want to know about the program. Overall, I am loving the program and look forward to a great 4 years.
Good luck to all of you and hope the match goes well for you guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I'm currently a 1st year EM resident over at St. Mary's Mercy in Livonia and rotated here last year as well. Doesn't seem to be much info out there about the program and the website is kind of dated so if you have any questions regarding the program ask away. I will say that they are definitely big on EM auditions for interviews spots, however, only half my intern class of 6 rotated through here. 2 of the 3 that didn't rotate here had comlex scores in the 600s plus. Not sure what the 3rd intern scored but was a strong applicant nonetheless. Its is a primarily ACGME hospital with IM, FM, and Psyche residencies but the osteopathic EM residency is definitely seen as the strongest component of the GME department. They are also already set up for the ACGME/AOA merger and have already put in the proposal.
High acuity/very sick population here as we deal with a significant amount of geriatric patients. We also only ask for consults if we absolutely need to and get all ED procedures including intubations and chest tubes. No surgery/surgery subspecialty residencies to compete with. We also have a dedicated Anesthesia month where residents typically get around 100 intubations over the course of the month.
Very down to earth faculty and residents here and nursing staff is amazing. Faculty is an even mix of MDs and DOs, and almost all of them graduated from big ACGME programs in Michigan like Henry Ford, U of M, and DMC. We also have one faculty member with Ultrasound specialization who graduated from St. Lukes EM program in NY and guides you along to meet the requirements for certification in Ultrasound if you are interested. All faculty members that I've worked with so far love to teach, and as in every EM program, each attending has his/her own style.
Only 1 IM wards month, and 1 IM night float month and these are both done intern year. Trauma is done 2nd and 3rd year at a huge knife and gun club hospital in Detroit, St. John's Medical Center. Not as crazy as DMC/Sinai but crazy enough. 3rd year residents run the trauma team at St. John's and from what I've heard is a super tough yet amazing learning experience. Peds EM rotations are also done at St. John's even though we do see a decent amount of peds at St. Mary's.
Residents here are great. No one seems to have any beef with anyone. All laid back and always willing to lend a helping hand or teach. There is No "throw you into the fire" type learning. The faculty wants to make sure you have enough time the first couple of months to learn the ropes and ease you in. Didactics are interactive and lots of guest speakers come through.
As with most Osteopathic EM programs, the downside is that we are based at a community hospital and are not part of a powerhouse academic center like U of M. We don't exactly have a large research/publication presence, but things are changing. If you are more into big academic programs, St. Mary should not be near the top of your list. Another arguable downside is the volume. Its around 50k a year, but we just became an official Level 2 Trauma center a couple of months ago and volume is slowly increasing. With lower volume, however, along with level of acuity of most of these patients, the learning and management curve is vast. Sometimes I feel like we run a fast paced ICU due to the complexity of a lot of the cases we see.
Anyways, hope I covered a good chunk of what you all would want to know about the program. Overall, I am loving the program and look forward to a great 4 years.
Good luck to all of you and hope the match goes well for you guys.

You guys that are posting the above interviews- when did u apply??? I applied on Aug 13th and I haven't heard anything- some say above it takes a month- but just getting kind of uneasy. Time to panic or no???? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys that are posting the above interviews- when did u apply??? I applied on Aug 13th and I haven't heard anything- some say above it takes a month- but just getting kind of uneasy. Time to panic or no???? Thanks
From my understanding if they aren't rolling in on / shortly after oct 1 that's when you panic

Application submitted July 17th. A SLOE and LOR uploaded August 15th... I'm sure you are fine. Not many programs have sent out invites yet.

Adding ARMC, submitted ~3 weeks ago, 1 AOA SLOE, 1 non-EM LOR, ~600 COMLEX. Only heard from ARMC and Mt. Sinai so far, but of course my app is incomplete, expecting an MD SLOE this week.

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center (Colton, CA)

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center (Johnstown, PA)

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
Henry Ford Macomb (Clinton Township, MI)

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
St. Joseph Regional Medical Center (Paterson, NJ)
Lakeland Healthcare (St. Joseph, Michigan)
St. Joseph Health Center (Warren, OH)

Does anyone have a good idea of how many AOA interviews is a good number to match? I know ACGME is 10-12ish, but I can't seem to find any information on what a good AOA amount would be... Most of the people I've asked that are in AOA EM residencies only applied to a few so they didn't have a very good grasp of how many either. I searched SDN with no answers for once...

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
St. Joseph Regional Medical Center (Paterson, NJ)
Kent Hospital (Warwick, Rhode Island)

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
CORE/St. John Medical Center (Westlake, OH)

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
St. Luke's (Allentown, PA)

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
Mercy Memorial (Monroe, MI)

how have you guys been going about scheduling multiple interviews in one month? I don't know how bad it looks to take several days off during my next EM rotation

Does anyone have a good idea of how many AOA interviews is a good number to match? I know ACGME is 10-12ish, but I can't seem to find any information on what a good AOA amount would be... Most of the people I've asked that are in AOA EM residencies only applied to a few so they didn't have a very good grasp of how many either. I searched SDN with no answers for once...

I am also wondering the same thing.... anyone out there have some input? I was hoping to limit myself to 12 interviews for financial/sanity reasons.

Last edited:
Can somebody give feedback with regards to the MI programs. HF vs St. Marys vs. Sparrows?

how have you guys been going about scheduling multiple interviews in one month? I don't know how bad it looks to take several days off during my next EM rotation

Last year I had several interviews in one week multiple times. No rotation I was on had any problems with scheduling me around my interview dates. Just be up front about when you have interviews and ask not to be scheduled those days.

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
RowanSOM Kennedy/Lady of Lourdes (Stratsford, NJ)
CORE/Southern Ohio Medical Center (Portsmouth, OH)

New update, news from a classmate.

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
St. John Providence (Warren, MI)

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
UMPC Hamot (Erie, PA)
Arnot Health (Elmira, NY)
Core/Adena Health System (Chillicothe, OH)
MWU/Franciscan St. James Health (Olympia Fields, IL)

Last edited:
St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
UMPC Hamot (Erie, PA)
NYCOMEC/Good Samaritan Hospital Program (Long Island, NY)

Has anyone else had difficulty scheduling the interview at St. Barnabas? Got an invite last week, and have not been contacted by the secretary for scheduling. Any advice on how people have scheduled their's is much appreciated. Thanks!

Has anyone else had difficulty scheduling the interview at St. Barnabas? Got an invite last week, and have not been contacted by the secretary for scheduling. Any advice on how people have scheduled their's is much appreciated. Thanks!

Samesies. I'm not sweating it yet.

I got my invite to Barnabas over a month ago. I just got the call from the coordinator a few days ago and set it up. I wouldn't worry too much, she seems to be calling people for it directly and I imagine it just takes a while. I know when I talked to her she said that she has been going through dates that have not extended past late October. There are still slots left for those of you that have the invite and haven't scheduled yet! Just keep waiting patiently...

Could someone please enlighten me about the Summa Western Reserve Hospital. I received an email from them, but I can't find them on the opportunity website. Thanks!

Could someone please enlighten me about the Summa Western Reserve Hospital. I received an email from them, but I can't find them on the opportunity website. Thanks!

They a part of the northeast ohio consortium thing. I can't remember the exact details. But by applying to one of the Cleveland area programs you are also applying to summa western reserve.

Guess I'll poke my head back in here. Hello, everyone. After much deliberation, I decided to give EM one more try. We'll see what happens.

It's a crap shoot. I had ten last year, and did not match. Several of my classmates, all excellent people and strong candidates, had similar numbers of interviews and also did not match. General advice is, unless you're a rock star, apply broadly, attend as many interviews as you are able, and rank everywhere that interviews you unless the program is so bad that it makes the scramble sound appealing (hint: it's not).

Can somebody give feedback with regards to the MI programs. HF vs St. Marys vs. Sparrows?

Ditto this. Trying to narrow down which programs to apply to in Michigan. Anyone have a feel for which programs do/don't interview out of state candidates? I've been all over the country, but I have zero convincing ties to the Midwest...

I was literally about to post the same thing. Couldn't find anything on Opportunities or ERAS...was wondering if I really had gone insane.

Also, I have been writing reviews for each interview so far. I'll post them once rank lists are due or I make a decision about forgoing the match. Think we need to beef up the reviews and amount of available information about these DO programs for future applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a crap shoot. I had ten last year, and did not match. Several of my classmates, all excellent people and strong candidates, had similar numbers of interviews and also did not match. General advice is, unless you're a rock star, apply broadly, attend as many interviews as you are able, and rank everywhere that interviews you unless the program is so bad that it makes the scramble sound appealing (hint: it's not).

Thanks for the insight and advice. Did you rank all 10 AOA programs?

St. Barnabas (Bronx, NY)
Doctor's (Columbus, OH)
UMPC Hamot (Erie, PA)
NYCOMEC/Good Samaritan Hospital Program (Long Island, NY)
Genesys Regional Medical Center (Grand Blanc, MI)
Botsford Hospital (Farmington Hills, MI)

Thanks for the insight and advice. Did you rank all 10 AOA programs?

I was informed by Rowan/Kennedy that I was being ranked in their TRI program and not in their EM program, so I did not rank them. I did rank all 9 others.

So far I heard back from 8 programs. I have not heard anything from any programs in about two weeks. Did all the programs send out all of their invites already? When do you start to worry.
Thanks

Probably not till rejections start rolling through. If you're looking for exact dates, sometime most likely in November and you haven't reached your target number.

Speaking of rejections I received my first from Arrowhead in Colton today.