Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to pay it forward as well! Here's my thoughts on various programs

St. Barnabs Bronx:
shift length: 12 hrs
Spots: 13/yr + 4 combined
Salary: bad for NY

Level 1 trauma in one of the worst ghettos of nyc. Do all your own lines and transport patients. Terrible nursing and ancillary staff. Terrible patient population. Didactics were pretty good. Little teaching during the day. Will deff come out of here able to handle anything. Most people love it or hate it. WORST cafeteria. Rumors have them dropping to level 2 trauma. There long time Assistant PD-Gindi [who most people LOVE] has left.

ROWAN University-Kennedy/Lourdes-South Jersey
Shift length: first year 10 hour. 24 hr call q 5/6. yrs 2-4 12 hour shifts
Spots 7/yr + 2 EM/IM
Salary solid
Location: South Jersey- one of the fasted growing townships. Greater Philadelphia area.

Voted top Jersey hospital in the Philadelphia area, ahead of Cooper. Established program that has been around since 92. Same 2 program directors since then. The nicest and most caring PD's. Great didactics. Lots of learning opportunities on the floor. Residents have a ton of autonomy. First year call sucks but you will learn a TON being on your own. Voted best place to work in south jersey---great ancillary staff. Good cafeteria. Cherry hill campus getting a complete make over. Trauma at Christiana. I would say this is the most underrated program.

Inspira Health -Vineland NJ
shifts- 12 hrs 18, 17, 16, 15
spots: 8/yr
salary = solid for area
Location: south jersey- in middle of nowhere but close enough to live in Philadelphia and close to the Jersey shore/AC

I think this is going to be a GREAT program in a few years. Really nice dedicated PD that trained at Lehigh. Great new facilities. Negative to me was trauma was at Crozer, a level 2 facility. Brand new state of the art simulation lab. Right off a major highway so you do see trauma. New program thsi year will be their 3rd year. Amazing resident lounge. really nice cafeteria.

Aria-Philadelphia, PA
Spots 4yr EM 4/yr EMIM 4/yr EM FM
Salary ~ solid ofr area
location North east philadelphia

Brand new ED is huge, maybe to big. Good ancillary staff. Good mix of patient population between the three hospitals. Level 2 trauma center. HUGE NEGATIVE= locums teach ALOT of the shifts. Seems like the residents are knowledgable but a little full of themselves.

Albert Einstein:
Spots: 4-5 in the AOA match the rest through ACGME
salary-solid for area

One of the top programs in the AOA match by reputation. Like barnabas you are going to deal with a very underserved population with very poor access to hhealth care. Level 1 trauma center. State of the art simulation lab. Well respected tertiary care center. Most number of visits in Philadelphia ahead of temple and well ahead of Penn, Drexel, Jeff, and Aria. Program director is amazing! Didactics seem like they are good. Residents are well trained and you will come out of here well trained!

Just say no:
Marietta hosptial- Marietta, Ohio
Arnot Ogden, Elmira NY
UH-Richmond---although you do 1/4 shifts at Case western but there main hosptial your getting 20 k visits only

Might be good in a few years:
Orange regional medical center- first year program. huge 52 bed ER. HUGE. Brand new hosptial. Bad vibe from program director. 1 hour north of NYC.

Norman Regional- Norman, OK=college town [U OF OK]: PD seemed nice. 8 spots a year. really big emphasis on EMS. Avg size hosptial. get to do u of ok games. rotations in OKC and Dallas.

The Norman program is associated with TeamHealth(a cmg) just some more FYI. Also if memory serves me correctly they have a PA/NP fellowship there.

Members don't see this ad.

Edit: sorry, accidental post in my new Sdn app.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on St. Joseph Regional in Paterson, NJ? emeddo1 it looks like you covered most of the programs in that area, thanks for all your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to PM with specific questions about Einstein, Kent, LVHN, Barnabas, St Joseph's Paterson, and Inspira.

St. Barnabs Bronx:
shift length: 12 hrs
Spots: 13/yr + 4 combined
Salary: bad for NY

Level 1 trauma in one of the worst ghettos of nyc. Do all your own lines and transport patients. Terrible nursing and ancillary staff. Terrible patient population. Didactics were pretty good. Little teaching during the day. Will deff come out of here able to handle anything. Most people love it or hate it. WORST cafeteria. Rumors have them dropping to level 2 trauma. Their long time Assistant PD-Gindi [who most people LOVE] has left.

ROWAN University-Kennedy/Lourdes-South Jersey
Shift length: first year 10 hour. 24 hr call q 5/6. yrs 2-4 12 hour shifts
Spots 7/yr + 2 EM/IM
Salary solid
Location: South Jersey- one of the fasted growing townships. Greater Philadelphia area.

Voted top Jersey hospital in the Philadelphia area, ahead of Cooper. Established program that has been around since 92. Same 2 program directors since then. The nicest and most caring PD's. Great didactics. Lots of learning opportunities on the floor. Residents have a ton of autonomy. First year call sucks but you will learn a TON being on your own. Voted best place to work in south jersey---great ancillary staff. Good cafeteria. Cherry hill campus getting a complete make over. Trauma at Christiana. I would say this is the most underrated program.

Inspira Health -Vineland NJ
shifts- 12 hrs 18, 17, 16, 15
spots: 8/yr
salary = solid for area
Location: south jersey- in middle of nowhere but close enough to live in Philadelphia and close to the Jersey shore/AC

I think this is going to be a GREAT program in a few years. Really nice dedicated PD that trained at Lehigh. Great new facilities. Negative to me was trauma was at Crozer, a level 2 facility. Brand new state of the art simulation lab. Right off a major highway so you do see trauma. New program thsi year will be their 3rd year. Amazing resident lounge. really nice cafeteria.

Aria-Philadelphia, PA
Salary ~ solid ofr area

Brand new ED is huge, maybe to big. Good ancillary staff. Good mix of patient population between the three hospitals. Level 2 trauma center. HUGE NEGATIVE= locums teach ALOT of the shifts. Seems like the residents are knowledgable but a little full of themselves.

Albert Einstein:
Spots: 4-5 in the AOA match the rest through ACGME
salary-solid for area

One of the top programs in the AOA match by reputation. Like barnabas you are going to deal with a very underserved population with very poor access to hhealth care. Level 1 trauma center. State of the art simulation lab. Well respected tertiary care center. Most number of visits in Philadelphia ahead of temple and well ahead of Penn, Drexel, Jeff, and Aria. Program director is amazing! Didactics seem like they are good. Residents are well trained and you will come out of here well trained!

Just say no:
Arnot Ogden, Elmira NY
UH-Richmond---although you do 1/4 shifts at Case western but their main hosptial your getting 20 k visits only

Might be good in a few years:
Orange regional medical center- first year program. huge 52 bed ER. HUGE. Brand new hosptial. Bad vibe from program director. 1 hour north of NYC.

Norman Regional- Norman, OK=college town [U OF OK]: PD seemed nice. 8 spots a year. really big emphasis on EMS. Avg size hosptial. get to do u of ok games. rotations in OKC and Dallas.

Any thoughts on St. Joseph Regional in Paterson, NJ? emeddo1 it looks like you covered most of the programs in that area, thanks for all your input!

Plus one. Especially interested if anyone has experience in how a SLOE from here stacks up in the ACGME world. Dual accredited, but only for a couple years.

Aria-Philadelphia, PA
Salary ~ solid ofr area

Just to touch on a few things, EM/IM and EM/FP are 5 year programs, not 4. As for the locums attendings, this has been an issuer, however there has been a new ED director for the past year who has been fantastic and who has recruited a lot of new, permanent staff in the aria system. I can say from the previous year to this year the number of locums physicians has dropped and the quality of the full time attendings has increased dramatically. In addition to getting experienced attendings there are a lot of young recent grads who are very eager to teach, very well versed on modern tech, and are great to work with. This coming July we are going to get another wave of additional staff as well. The changes in the past year have been excellent and it's only getting better.

The Aria system has three hospitals, and we cover all the EDs:

Aria Torresdale - level 2 trauma center, 60k+ patients per year, suburban area but right off several major highways. Patients here are sick, sick, sick. It is unreal what gets seen at this campus and how many legit sick people float through this ED. Three pods with roughly 12 beds each, plus a fast track, plus two trauma/Resus beds. Yes the Torresdale ED is less than a year old. Is having a brand new, modern, large ED really a negative?

Aria Frankford - inner city hospital smack in the middle of the ghetto. 60k+ patients per year. Hospital itself is less than half the size of torresdale, so the volume that goes through this ED feels incredible. Modern ED, rebuilt within the past few years. Again, 3 pods 10-12 beds each, plus fast track. Real under served inner city population, with all the good and the bad that comes with that.

Aria Bucks - small community hospital, 12K+ per year I believe. 19 bed ED. Get your real suburban community fix here. I think the average age of the patients in this ED is about 99. We only cover a single 10 hour shift here each day, during the busiest time, otherwise it is not worth our time here.

Each pod has one attending, one resident (occasionally they will put a super senior together with an intern so the senior Can practice being an attending)

Any other questions feel free to message me

ARMC - Colton CA

Busy county hospital serving a very sick and violent population. Level 2 trauma but trauma abounds, GSW's/stabbings come in regularly and lots of MVA's. Also the regional burn center. Last numbers I heard were 135K making them the second busiest in CA behind USC but apparently the census has dropped a bit. ED has a pod system with 2 high acutity pods, a trauma bay, a pysch/jail pod, medium acuity pod, minor procedure room and a fast track that will triage patients to the waiting room for labs/imaging. Residents work in all areas and have PA's helping in all the areas but the high acuity and trauma bays. Sink or swim environment and you learn by doing or looking up. Lots of procedures, lots of autonomy, lots of county craziness. Senior residents are extremely strong and very efficient and generally get jobs anywhere.

Pros: True balls to the wall county experience if that is what you are looking for, lots of procedures, lots of trauma, super sick patients.

Cons: Weak didactics, not a lot of bedside teaching, off service rotations sound brutal (GSx, medicine floor months), weak peds experience, the Inland Empire is a pit.

Just say no:
Arnot Ogden, Elmira NY
UH-Richmond---although you do 1/4 shifts at Case western but their main hosptial your getting 20 k visits only

Care to elaborate any? Marietta specifically

This thread has been so quiet lately. with ERAS applications a little over a month away any soon to be interns have anymore input/advice/suggestions? Does anyone have any thought about the new EM program in NC associated with Campbell?

anyone know how to search a specific thread? this one has like 18 pages and i know other websites have a search thread feature.
Thanks in advance!

anyone know how to search a specific thread? this one has like 18 pages and i know other websites have a search thread feature.
Thanks in advance!

click on the search bar on the upper right, at the bottom check the box that says search this thread only.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Aria scored big when it got its new Chair (MCP trained under Wagner and McNamara, prior faculty at MCP and Temple). It was my understanding that all locums had been removed or would be. Also, they hired an ultrasound director, which they previously never had as far as I know.

Aria scored big when it got its new Chair (MCP trained under Wagner and McNamara, prior faculty at MCP and Temple). It was my understanding that all locums had been removed or would be. Also, they hired an ultrasound director, which they previously never had as far as I know.

Remember, ED's use locums docs out of necessity, not because they want to. If you are considering Aria, I would highly suggest that you confirm that the locums docs are indeed gone. You need a stable core of faculty to get the most out of your residency education. This is indeed a negative of some DO programs, and something to ask about on interviews. The vast majority of DO residency programs are run by physicians that are members of private ER groups, so make sure that whatever programs you consider have a stable core of EM faculty. To go along with the private group mantra, make sure that whatever staff is there is interested in actually educating you rather than simply viewing you as a pawn they use to increase their PPH, RVU's, and ultimately their income. I'm at an MD, university-based program. In my 4th year of med school, I did multiple auditions at DO programs, and, with regard to education, there is quite a different mindset at my university-based program versus the DO programs that I rotated at. That's not true across the board, but, in the DO world, you really have to be very picky. The educational experience varies widely. I'll qualify this by also saying that I am a "very pro-DO, DO." I wouldn't trade my osteopathic medical school education for anything. I was extremely well prepared for residency, better than the majority of the members of my residency class. At the same time, people have to know that there very important and particular differences to be aware of specifically with regards to MD and DO EM residency programs.

Last edited:
Remember, ED's use locums docs out of necessity, not because they want to. If you are considering Aria, I would highly suggest that you confirm that the locums docs are indeed gone.

As of July 1st, no more.

If anybody is considering beautiful South Mississippi for their EM residency (and doesn't mind a brand new program)

Merit Health Wesley:
http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...program_id=371966&hosp_id=371701&returnPage=1

I'm curious to see how it will turn out. Match is still 3 years away for me, should I be leery of considering a program that will have only graduated 1 resident by the time I apply?

If you are in med school currently they won't have any graduates when you apply ?

Theres a new one associated with Campbell in Lumberton, NC. Also I think I saw a new Cali one in Palm Springs that looked like it was still recruiting for this years starting class. Not sure if they got anyone though, but I hadn't noticed that one on AOA opportunities until last week

Last edited:
trying to rotate through newark beth israel, paterson, or coney island programs. Anyone have any updated info on these programs?

Merit Health Wesley - MS

I am a qualified Osteopathic medical school graduate who has completed a traditional internship. I contacted Merit Health Wesley this week to apply - and they wrote: "We did begin our program July 1, 2015. We currently have a first year and second year resident in the Emergency Medicine program. If you would like to email me your CV and more information regarding your medical career, we would be happy to review it and get back with you as soon as possible."

So then, after getting my hopes up and sending them my 30 pages of application materials, get the response: "The program director spoke with our CEO, at this time, he does not want to accept any additional residents since the program has already begun."

Last edited:
While I don't have any updated (or even recent) data on the Newark Beth Israel program/site... I did rotate thru, apply, and rank the program back in 2009 when I was living in Newark.

The pathology there is craaaaazzzy. I had dreams about the ED there for YEARS afterwards.

I have a question for y'all. So from looking online at the Rowan-OPTI program in Stratford it says its a 3 year program and a TRI year must be completed first. So does this mean you would have to match a TRI and then also match into their program? are you only supposed to apply to their program after you've done a TRI?? I'm really confused by this. They sent an e mail out today with a form asking you if you only want to be ranked in the program you're applying for or if you want to be ranked in TRI as well. If you have them rank you as both would you match both and then just stay there for 4 years? I may be reading it wrong, but this whole internship thing has me confused..

No, you don't do a TRI first. It's worded weirdly, but it's a 4 year EM program. No "TRI". If you think you have a chance at going unmatched at EM, you can check the TRI box as well to be interviewed for that position.

Hello everyone, I really appreciate everyone's helpful input here.
I have a specific question about St. Barnabas at Bronx, NY. Does the program offer interviews only to those that rotate there? Or do we have a shot of getting an invite without rotating (assuming decent Comlex Level 1 score). I'm really interested in the program, but didn't have a chance to confirm an away rotation there (the med student coordinator wasn't the most helpful to say the least)
Currently, I have 4 auditions lined up from Aug - Nov. I have a Dec-Jan month available, so I was wondering if I should try to squeeze St. Barnabas in there. The website says they give out invites till end of December, so I assumed it would still be a viable audition. Any advice would be appreciated!

I have a specific question about St. Barnabas at Bronx, NY. Does the program offer interviews only to those that rotate there? Or do we have a shot of getting an invite without rotating (assuming decent Comlex Level 1 score). I'm really interested in the program, but didn't have a chance to confirm an away rotation there (the med student coordinator wasn't the most helpful to say the least)
Currently, I have 4 auditions lined up from Aug - Nov. I have a Dec-Jan month available, so I was wondering if I should try to squeeze St. Barnabas in there. The website says they give out invites till end of December, so I assumed it would still be a viable audition. Any advice would be appreciated!

Barnabas has a reputation for being a very polarizing place, you either really like it or you really dislike it. I liked it a lot but I can definitely see why people wouldn't...you should try to rotate there if you can.

I received an interview without a rotation(with average step 1). Declined it due to the rep it has.

I agree with the above poster some people love it, while others hate it. You will be well trained when you finish

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll try contacting them again to set up a rotation there.

Anyone hear back for interviews? If so, would you guys be kind enough to share which programs? I applied mostly to northeast programs and I was curious when programs start inviting people.

Does a SLOE have to be filled out by a program director or assistant program director? or can any core faculty at a residency program fill it out??

No interview invites here yet, just a handful of " we received your application and will review it on.." e-mails..

I received an interview without a rotation(with average step 1). Declined it due to the rep it has.

I agree with the above poster some people love it, while others hate it. You will be well trained when you finish

I'm sure this has been posted before, but what's the reputation?

Anyone hear back for interviews? If so, would you guys be kind enough to share which programs? I applied mostly to northeast programs and I was curious when programs start inviting people.

Kennedy Stratford, NJ
Southeastern Health, Lumberton, NC
St. Mary Mercy Livonia, MI

I also applied to NE programs and am interested to see when interviews start rolling in! No invites here yet either. Maybe we can keep a running list on here like they've done on this thread in past years.

Kennedy Stratford, NJ
Dang you've heard back from all those programs already? How complete is your application? I've been waiting foreveerrrrr for my last couple of letters and I'm worried thats hurting me. and I dont have my step 2 scores yet either :/

Dang you've heard back from all those programs already? How complete is your application? I've been waiting foreveerrrrr for my last couple of letters and I'm worried thats hurting me. and I dont have my step 2 scores yet either :/
I have one SLOE from a third year rotation and one non EM letter for most programs. For a select few programs I have submitted 2 non em letters and the 3rd year SLOE. Apart from that I am all complete minus the deans letter.

I've been waiting like 9 weeks for one of my SLOEs that I was told was being finalized 4 weeks ago. I'm planning on calling them next week because I feel like it should be uploaded already. I'm just wondering when I start freaking out that I haven't gotten invites yet lol

I've been waiting like 9 weeks for one of my SLOEs that I was told was being finalized 4 weeks ago. I'm planning on calling them next week because I feel like it should be uploaded already. I'm just wondering when I start freaking out that I haven't gotten invites yet lol
It's still pretty early. I think you have time to get that SLOE in. I think a lot of invites come a little later in September and October.

Kennedy Stratford, NJ

Kennedy Stratford, NJ
St. Barnabas, NY

I applied NE/Midwest mostly. I haven't heard back from any of the programs yet. My application is fairly complete. Fingers crossed invites start rolling out soon so I can plan my fall while I'm still over in this area.

I applied to a bunch of programs on the east coast on July 15th and have heard nothing other than a few form responses. Granted my first two LOR were only uploaded recently and my first SLOE won't hit until early September and second in October. I think its still really early, I'm doing an ACGME away at the moment and I don't think any of the other DO students on this rotation have even submitted apps yet.

The latest response on this topic is from 2013, so to the people who applied in 2014-2015, does Barnabas in Bronx still only rank people that rotated? I know they interview if you haven't.

Kennedy Stratford, NJ
St. Barnabas, NY
St. Vincent, PA

Kennedy Stratford, NJ
St. Barnabas, NY
St. Vincent, PA
Grandview, Dayton OH
Doctors, Columbus OH