Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question...is it okay to release an allopathic SLOE to osteo EM programs? Or would that be viewed as negative (this dude isn't committed to AOA match etc)? Just double checking before I click confirm...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question...is it okay to release an allopathic SLOE to osteo EM programs? Or would that be viewed as negative (this dude isn't committed to AOA match etc)? Just double checking before I click confirm...thanks!

Yes. It's fine. I matched AOA with 1/2allo and 1/2 osteo letters. I switched residencies and currently in an allopathic EM program so can answer questions about sides.

Reactions: 1 user
Kennedy Stratford, NJ
Inspira Vineland, NJ
Southeastern Health, Lumberton, NC
St. Mary Mercy Livonia, MI
Sparrow Lansing, MI
St. Barnabas, NY
St. Vincent, Erie, PA
Grandview, Dayton OH
Doctors, Columbus OH
Ohio Valley Medical Center Wheeling WV
Arrowhead, Colton CA
Kent Warwick, RI
ProMedica Monroe, MI
Mercy Health Muskegon, MI
Conemaugh Memorial, Johnstown, PA
St. John medical center, Westlake OH
St. Elizabeth Boardman/St Joseph, Warren/Youngstown OH
Commanche, OK
Port St Lucie, FL
Lakeland, MI
St. James Olympia Fields, IL
Marietta Memorial, Marietta OH
Arnot Ogden Medical Center, Elmira NY
St. John providence osteopathic division, Warren, MI
Einstein, Philadelphia PA
UH Regional Hospitals, Cleveland OH
Mount Sinai Medical Center, Miami Beach, FL

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's still early in the application period but I'd be interested to hear some feedback from 4th years who just finished some auditions!

Another program pulled out of the match today. Carilion's merging their AOA program with their ACGME one. They will increase the spots in the ACGME program by 4. They encourage USMLE Step 1 and 2 but will consider COMLEX this year > 600.

That's another 4 spots down. Seems like the EM match gets more and more competitive as the weeks go by.

Interesting. Do you happen to know what they plan for the one class of four that did match into the now defunct AOA program? From your post I'm imagining they've just had a year chopped of their residency while moving from a brand new AOA program to a somewhat established MD program. I imagine they aren't complaining.

Interesting. Do you happen to know what they plan for the one class of four that did match into the now defunct AOA program? From your post I'm imagining they've just had a year chopped of their residency while moving from a brand new AOA program to a somewhat established MD program. I imagine they aren't complaining.
I think they should refund all of the applicants they collected cash from ERAS between its opening and September 15th when they decided to make their little secret public.

In an ideal world I think that would be great. However, it's my understanding they will have to repeat their intern year at the facility in Roanoke where the ACGME residency is hosted. Sucks in a way but at least they have a residency spot.

Quick question for you folks. How badly will a delayed MSPE affect interview invites for AOA programs? My MSPE might be 2-3 weeks late.

Quick question for you folks. How badly will a delayed MSPE affect interview invites for AOA programs? My MSPE might be 2-3 weeks late.

I'm not sure I've heard of this often as I was of the opinion most schools send out all MSPEs on a given day. That said I suppose the MSPE being late and what it means for your application is more a question of why it's late. Further, whether the reason it's late is some flag for your application overall (like a failure, etc.) or a procedural holdup at your institution.

+UPMC Hamot, Erie, PA

Kennedy Stratford, NJ
Inspira Vineland, NJ
Sparrow Lansing, MI
St. Barnabas, NY
St. Vincent, Erie, PA
Grandview, Dayton OH
Doctors, Columbus OH
Arrowhead, Colton CA
Kent Warwick, RI
ProMedica Monroe, MI
Commanche, OK
Port St Lucie, FL
Lakeland, MI
UPMC Hamot, Erie, PA

Kennedy Stratford, NJ
Inspira Vineland, NJ
Sparrow Lansing, MI
St. Barnabas, NY
St. Vincent, Erie, PA
Grandview, Dayton OH
Doctors, Columbus OH
Arrowhead, Colton CA
Kent Warwick, RI
ProMedica Monroe, MI
Commanche, OK
Port St Lucie, FL
Lakeland, MI
UPMC Hamot, Erie, PA
Good Samaritan, West Islip NY

Members don't see this ad :)
Kennedy Stratford, NJ
Inspira Vineland, NJ
Sparrow Lansing, MI
St. Barnabas, NY
St. Vincent, Erie, PA
Grandview, Dayton OH
Doctors, Columbus OH
Arrowhead, Colton CA
Kent Warwick, RI
ProMedica Monroe, MI
Commanche, OK
Port St Lucie, FL
Lakeland, MI
UPMC Hamot, Erie, PA
CORE Adena Health, Chillicothe OH
Western Reserve, Cuyahoga Falls OH

Last edited:
Kennedy Stratford, NJ
Inspira Vineland, NJ
Sparrow Lansing, MI
St. Barnabas, NY
St. Vincent, Erie, PA
Grandview, Dayton OH
Doctors, Columbus OH
Arrowhead, Colton CA
Kent Warwick, RI
ProMedica Monroe, MI
Commanche, OK
Port St Lucie, FL
Lakeland, MI
UPMC Hamot, Erie, PA
Lehigh Valley Health Network, Allentown, PA

Hey guys,

Anyone know/have an idea as to the minimum amount of interviews one should have at this stage in the game to feel somewhat confident they will match?

Level 1 551
Level 2 632

1 EM letter, 1 IM letter, waiting for my SLOE to be uploaded

I have 9 interviews, 4 of which are programs I rotated at. Applied to 35. How many interviews do we need to assure a high chance of matching?

Level 1 551
Level 2 632

I have 9 interviews, 4 of which are programs I rotated at. Applied to 35. How many interviews do we need to assure a high chance of matching?

I imagine that this number depends on if you're applying AOA, ACGME or both. According to the ACGME 2015 NRMP applicant survey for EM, successful "Independent Applicants*" applied to 50 ACGME programs, were offered 9 interviews, went on 8 and ranked 8. This was based on 990 EM applicant responses.

I have not found any data from the AOA which details how many places one needs to rank to have a solid (>90%) chance at matching. However, I would speculate that the number is, as they say, between 10-12 places ranked. In this previous year's match (2015), AOA EM programs had 297 spots. In 2014 (according to Outcomes and Trends in the AOA Match) there were 1.5 applicants for every EM spot. So roughly 445 DO applicants tried to match into a AOA EM position. This does not tell you how many applicants only ranked one or two top AOA picks while ranking many more ACGME choices - which I suspect is a good number of people. There were 1.2 applicants for every EM spot in the ACGME match, so each interview there statistically gives you more 'bang for your buck'.

If anyone has any additional input or corrections here, I'd love to hear it!

(*Independent applicants include prior allopathic medical school graduates, U.S. citizen and non-U.S. citizen students and graduates of international medical schools, students and graduates of schools of osteopathy, students and graduates of Canadian medical schools, and graduates of the Fifth Pathway program.)

Last edited:
For those applying to dual programs and want to decide which match to rank the programs:

MSU Sparrow: only match DO
Genesys: DO only
Newark Beth Israel: only match DO
Lehigh: both, but better chance DO
Einstein: both

Does this look right?

Kennedy Stratford, NJ
Inspira Vineland, NJ
Sparrow Lansing, MI
St. Barnabas, NY
St. Vincent, Erie, PA
Grandview, Dayton OH
Doctors, Columbus OH
Arrowhead, Colton CA
Kent Warwick, RI
ProMedica Monroe, MI
Commanche, OK
Port St Lucie, FL
Lakeland, MI
UPMC Hamot, Erie, PA
Henry Ford Wyandotte, MI

Grandview in Dayton? How many invites did they send out, if you know?

Yes - Dayton. No idea how many they contacted, I didn't interview. Just got the message today saying they were done and thanks for your interest in the program.

Level 1 551
Level 2 632

If you are an average or better candidate and have 9 interviews on a single side (i.e. MD or DO) you are going to match unless you have red flags, are a terrible interviewee, or completely blew your auditions. Most PD's will tell you ranking 8-10 is the magic number at which you can stop worrying and start being selective, while 12-15 virtually guarantees a match (unless you have the problems listed above). Above 15 won't help you because if you don't match in those first 15 you do have one of those problems listed above and its unlikely the other programs will view you any differently.

Last edited:
Grandview in Dayton? How many invites did they send out, if you know?
I think they interview 36-40ish people. They had 3 interview days each with 12 interviewees. Rumor has it they're big on rotations

Aria Health
Nassau Univ Medical Center
Coney Island
Orange Regional Medical Center

Did anyone out there already get interviews from the hospitals above without rotating? Or have you heard of anyone getting interviews yet? I know a guy that rotated at Nassau getting an invite, but that's about it. I'm just curious if these programs started sending out invites and I'm just getting a silent rejection...or should I give it more time.

Aria Health
Coney Island

Did anyone out there already get interviews from the hospitals above without rotating? Or have you heard of anyone getting interviews yet? I know a guy that rotated at Nassau getting an invite, but that's about it. I'm just curious if these programs started sending out invites and I'm just getting a silent rejection...or should I give it more time.

I rotated through the ICU at ARIA and will be doing an audition in the ED later this season. I heard that up until now most if not all invites have been those who have rotated through the department. They also were "behind schedule" on reviewing applications.

I called Nassau Medical Center a few weeks ago to find out what was going on and they pretty much told me that if you didn't rotate through it was very unlikely you were going to get an interview. They said " we have 300 applicants for 4 spots".

Same goes for Coney Island - I got a similar response.

ORMC - They have sent out invites to the best of my knowledge.

Aria Health
Coney Island

I received an invite from ARIA and didn't rotate. They only gave me the option of one date though, so maybe there inviting to fill invite declines now.

I don't think that's true. I only did one AOA audition and have 6 AOA interviews.

I think it's pretty random at the least. I got interviews at places I didn't think I would, yet am in complete silence from places I thought were not as desirable.

Last edited:
I rotated through the ICU at ARIA and will be doing an audition in the ED later this season. I heard that up until now most if not all invites have been those who have rotated through the department. They also were "behind schedule" on reviewing applications.

I called Nassau Medical Center a few weeks ago to find out what was going on and they pretty much told me that if you didn't rotate through it was very unlikely you were going to get an interview. They said " we have 300 applicants for 4 spots".

Same goes for Coney Island - I got a similar response.

ORMC - They have sent out invites to the best of my knowledge.

I'll be glad when the merger happens to end that crap.

I think it's pretty random at the least. I got interviews at places I didn't think I would, yet am in complete silence from places I thought were not as desirable.

Same here when I applied. Got invites at our most competitive spots but no invite at Marietta ohio lol

Hi I am currently an intern at Kent Hospital in Warwick, RI. I applied only osteopathic last year. Had average board scores (Step 1 & 2 between 500-525) Applied to 42 spots, offered 26 interviews and went to 18. I rotated through 6 programs. I matched at my top spot. If you have any questions about this location or any others let me know! Thanks.

Hi I am currently an intern at Kent Hospital in Warwick, RI. I applied only osteopathic last year. Had average board scores (Step 1 & 2 between 500-525) Applied to 42 spots, offered 26 interviews and went to 18. I rotated through 6 programs. I matched at my top spot. If you have any questions about this location or any others let me know! Thanks.

MD and DO programs?

Kennedy Stratford, NJ
Inspira Vineland, NJ
Sparrow Lansing, MI
St. Barnabas, NY
St. Vincent, Erie, PA
Grandview, Dayton OH
Doctors, Columbus OH
Arrowhead, Colton CA
Kent Warwick, RI
ProMedica Monroe, MI
Commanche, OK
Port St Lucie, FL
Lakeland, MI
UPMC Hamot, Erie, PA
Henry Ford Wyandotte, MI
Beaumont Trenton, MI (formerly Oakwood)
Botsford Hospital, MI

Dont know if this list is still a thing anymore but figured I might as well add to it

Last edited:
Just DO hospitals. I don't know if there is truly time to do both sides and give it your best shot. Choose one and run with it.

Disagree with this. Apply to both sides and decide which one is for you. I speak as someone who has matched ACGME/AOA both.

Disagree with this. Apply to both sides and decide which one is for you. I speak as someone who has matched ACGME/AOA both.

If you have monetary constraints and must choose then obviously focus on DO since spots:applicants is much less competitive.

Hahaha by 1 minute! Its kind of ridiculous how excited I get when I can be the first to post an interview invite. I need to pick up some more shifts or something!

On another note, what do people wear to the night before dinners? Business casual?

I definitely overdressed for my first one. I wore khakis and a nice shirt and the residents were wearing shorts and polos. If it says casual it really is most likely.

If you have monetary constraints and must choose then obviously focus on DO since spots:applicants is much less competitive.

I dunno. If you have good usmle scores/sloes I would probably still try acgme knowing what I know now. Also matching into a 3 yr program vs. 4yr has a large amount of monetary pluses.

Anyone have info on desert regional in Palm Springs, CA? Rotating there next month and wanted to see if anyone could chime in on this new program? Are they big on wanting Cali residents in the program?

Anybody no anything about Good Samaritans interview process or have any idea why they interview so many people (says 200 on AOA opportunities website).

Anybody no anything about Good Samaritans interview process or have any idea why they interview so many people (says 200 on AOA opportunities website).

From what I remember they do not interview that many (maybe 40ish interviews). Mine was laid back, just talking with the core faculty.

From what I remember they do not interview that many (maybe 40ish interviews). Mine was laid back, just talking with the core faculty.
Weird. I wonder why it says that on the AOA website. Seems like a good program.

Anyone know if Lehigh Valley seriously considers DO's in the MD match?