Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
alright just gonna throw this out there... there is no such thing as a "residency that doesn't write sloes".

They probably told you that because they didn't want to write YOU a sloe.
Sorry to burst your bubble.

Umm no, multiple students. And chief resident who makes our schedule told us that. They are happy to write regular lor

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

alright just gonna throw this out there... there is no such thing as a "residency that doesn't write sloes".

They probably told you that because they didn't want to write YOU a sloe.
Sorry to burst your bubble.

You are incorrect. Sorry. One of the AOA places didn't initially give sloes when I rotated and called me about two months later saying they switched to issuing them. Some programs are just behind the times sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This is so terrible that there are still programs out there not writing SLOEs. I get that some programs may not care about reading them, because they only take a few residents, and only match those that rotate with them, but the vast majority of the hundreds of programs out there rely very heavily on SLOEs to formulate their match list. Programs are doing a huge disservice to students telling them the don't need a SLOE or wont write one. The best AOA programs use them, and every ACGME program uses them. So to purposely not write students a SLOE is just terrible, its intentionally hurting students that rotate there.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since no one has posted yet thought I would start the thread:

Interview Invites 2016-2017

Doctors Hospital - Columbus, OH
ROWAN Inspira - NJ
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY

Last edited:
Hey guys did crappy on step 1 (417), just got my step 2 and had a good improvement to 543. What are the chances my step 1 already deleted and filtered me out from programs?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys did crappy on step 1 (417), just got my step 2 and had a good improvement to 543. What are the chances my step 1 already deleted and filtered me out from programs?

Anything you can do about it? Nope, so go with what you got

That doesn't answer my question. Is it possible some progs already threw out my app based on the first 1?

Of course it is possible, even probable. This leads to @engineeredout 's reply: is this something you can do anything about? Unlikely. All you can do from this point is maximize your remaining opportunities. Now that you have your Level 2 score, you could consider calling back programs you are REALLY interested in and give them the updated info and ask if they'd be willing to reconsider. They've already rejected you so the outcome couldn't be worse. Just make sure you are contacting places you really want to be at.

Interview invite

CUSOM/Southeastern Health Emergency Medicine Residency Program (Lumberton, NC)

Would you guys be interested in me putting together a review of residencies and contributing to it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
I was hoping someone could offer some advice. My audition rotation for Aug-Sept was just cancelled and there isn't enough time to book another EM rotation. Instead, I will be doing a Family Medicine rotation. My question is how screwed am I regarding getting interviews. So far I have submitted: 1SLOE(very good i'm told), and 2 non-EM letters. My next EM rotation is in late Oct-early Nov and then the SLOE wouldn't be able to come in until much later.
I have 600's on both steps and have passed my PE and have no other red flags.
Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated .

Hello everyone,
I was hoping someone could offer some advice. My audition rotation for Aug-Sept was just cancelled and there isn't enough time to book another EM rotation. Instead, I will be doing a Family Medicine rotation. My question is how screwed am I regarding getting interviews. So far I have submitted: 1SLOE(very good i'm told), and 2 non-EM letters. My next EM rotation is in late Oct-early Nov and then the SLOE wouldn't be able to come in until much later.

That really stinks. Who cancels a rotation that late on a student? Something similar happened to me many years ago, but it was a military EM rotation, and the majority of their faculty got deployed, so they cancelled all rotations last minute. It stunk, and it left me scrambling, but I found a rotation last second, and I absolutely loved it. I had always planned on a residency at a big academic university based place, I had a great application and I was cocky about it. But I got in last second at a community EM program close by, and it was an amazing rotation. A million times better than my university EM rotations. I ranked them #1 on my match list and had a great residency there. It was completely an accident that I even rotated there, but sometimes stuff like this just works out.

Which match? If you get a SLOE in Nov, there's still time to have it considered in the ACGME match.

That really stinks. Who cancels a rotation that late on a student? Something similar happened to me many years ago, but it was a military EM rotation, and the majority of their faculty got deployed, so they cancelled all rotations last minute. It stunk, and it left me scrambling, but I found a rotation last second, and I absolutely loved it. I had always planned on a residency at a big academic university based place, I had a great application and I was cocky about it. But I got in last second at a community EM program close by, and it was an amazing rotation. A million times better than my university EM rotations. I ranked them #1 on my match list and had a great residency there. It was completely an accident that I even rotated there, but sometimes stuff like this just works out.

Which match? If you get a SLOE in Nov, there's still time to have it considered in the ACGME match.
I am just applying AOA match!

I doubt you'll be screwed in the AOA match. Those are great board scores for the AOA match, and most students only have one SLOE in the AOA match. Some don't have any. I think you'll be fine. You still may want to get a SLOE from the second rotation, if they can get it written and uploaded quickly, then you could send it to programs after the fact. There would still be time to consider it before the final rank list.

I am just applying AOA match!

Why not apply ACGME too? The worst that happens is you drop a few more bucks. The best that happens is you find a program you may not have found in the AOA match. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great programs in the AOA match but I am all about the opportunities, especially with great board scores.

Why not apply ACGME too? The worst that happens is you drop a few more bucks. The best that happens is you find a program you may not have found in the AOA match. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great programs in the AOA match but I am all about the opportunities, especially with great board scores.

Being at an ACGME program, that used to be AOA, I agree with this sentiment!

Hello everyone,

You should be fine. I applied with only one SLOE and two non-EM letters and it worked out perfectly!

I just want to focus on one match.. but you make a great point

I doubt you'll be screwed in the AOA match. Those are great board scores for the AOA match, and most students only have one SLOE in the AOA match. Some don't have any. I think you'll be fine. You still may want to get a SLOE from the second rotation, if they can get it written and uploaded quickly, then you could send it to programs after the fact. There would still be time to consider it before the final rank list.
Thank you for responding! You have set my mind at ease

Is anyone worried about their lack of interview invites at this point? I have 2 right now and I am not getting any love from michigan programs which is where i want to end up

Is anyone worried about their lack of interview invites at this point? I have 2 right now and I am not getting any love from michigan programs which is where i want to end up

Its August. Take a deep breath...

I wouldn't be worried. I assure you, with only 6 weeks into the new academic year, programs are still getting their new residents squared away, dealing with the influx of students, etc. I doubt many are scouring through ERAS already planning out this years match.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

SDN never ceases to amaze me. People with 700/800 board scores and people who already have 2 interviews complaining about lack of interviews in AUGUST?!

People need to just breath and be happy.

I didn't even submit my AOA apps until late September last year . Had 12 invites all of he way up to December. It's very early still

Can anyone that matched last year(or even further in the past) comment on how many places they interviewed at/ranked and how far they went down their rank list? I'm trying to gauge how many interviews I have to go on to feel comfortable that I will match.

I'm applying both matches, but have no information on the AOA match

Last edited:
General rule of thumb: If you rank 10 programs, you have excellent odds at matching somewhere. Obviously, you'll probably apply to more than that, and hopefully/maybe get more interviews than that. But if you can get 10 interviews at places you are willing to rank, you are probably good. If you don't get 10 interviews, I wouldn't freak out. Many match with less, its just less of a sure thing.

General rule of thumb: If you rank 10 programs, you have excellent odds at matching somewhere. Obviously, you'll probably apply to more than that, and hopefully/maybe get more interviews than that. But if you can get 10 interviews at places you are willing to rank, you are probably good. If you don't get 10 interviews, I wouldn't freak out. Many match with less, its just less of a sure thing.

How do you view students matching as a couple? Pros and cons? Any pointers?

Can anyone that matched last year(or even further in the past) comment on how many places they interviewed at/ranked and how far they went down their rank list? I'm trying to gauge how many interviews I have to go on to feel comfortable that I will match.

I'm applying both matches, but have no information on the AOA match
I only participated in the AOA match. Matched last year. Rotated at 4 places had 2 sloes and 1 non EM letter. Both boards in mid 500s.
Applied: 42 programs
Interview invites: 22 programs
Interviewed at: 15 programs
Ranked:14 programs
( might have interviewed at 16 ranked 15 can't remember exactly)
Matched at: #1 choice

I reviewed all the places I interviewed at. Should be a few pages back.

Also it might help if y'all keep a running list of the places you've received interviews from and add to it instead of just making a random comment with the program name just so it's all in one place.

I will add that a few times a program appeared on our interview invite list and then I got an interview from there a few weeks later. So don't count yourself out if they show up and you haven't heard from them yet.

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
Promedica Monroe - Monroe, MI
Southeastern Health - Lumberton, NC
Inspira Health Network Program - Vineland, NJ
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA

Reactions: 1 users

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY

You guys have like 7000 board scores?

I messaged numerous programs that are on my radar with an updated board scores since I am afraid step 1 filtered me out (had a 130 point increase for step 2), so far nothing.

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
Lakeland Health- St Joseph, MI

I messaged numerous programs that are on my radar with an updated board scores since I am afraid step 1 filtered me out (had a 130 point increase for step 2), so far nothing.

Applied day 1. My boards were 500's lvl 1 600's level 2

to add to the running list got one from st. mary's in livonia yesterday and one in wheeling wv ohio valley medical center today

Last edited:
Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
Adena Health Systems - Chillicothe, OH

If a place gives us the option of shadowing after the interview is complete, how bad does it look if we are not able to do it? I need to catch a flight out after the interview and I can't do it the day before or after.

Arrowhead - Colton, CA
St Barnabas - Bronx, NY
St. Vincents - Erie, PA
Arnot Health- Elmira, NY
Adena Health Systems - Chillicothe, OH
St. Mary's- Livonia, MI
Ohio Valley- Wheeling, WV

Not sure why you're sad about 2 invites.... I'm still scoring a big fat zero over here.....

One is from my home program where everyone gets an interview if they are interested and the other one is from an audition where they interview everyone who rotates. So not very unique.

These people are crazy with 8-10 interviews in September.

Not sure why you're sad about 2 invites.... I'm still scoring a big fat zero over here.....
I have a couple scheduled so far, but by no means 8-10! I was just adding to the running list that's going so we can all see which programs have started handing out interview dates.