Osteopathic EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all...now that interviews are in full swing are there any more we can add?
Thanks!
M

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks!
M

Can anyone provide a list of some of the lower volume/acuity osteopathic EM residencies?

Can anyone provide a list of some of the lower volume/acuity osteopathic EM residencies?

No idea how you'd find the lower acuity places, but the volumes can be found on the AOA listing.

Thanks!
M

I have one more interview next week and then I'll post my reviews. So glad the finish line is in sight!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any of you please comment on how competitive is it to get into EM programs in MI? I took both the Comlex and USMLE but I was going to apply only to DO EM programs in Mi (I hear most of them are really good). My problem is I did considerably better on the USMLE then the comlex (little above average). I was going to do my first EM rotation in June, so hopefully I can get some good LORs by application time...

Also what did you guys use as far as LORs, SLORs or personal LOR?

Can any of you please comment on how competitive is it to get into EM programs in MI? I took both the Comlex and USMLE but I was going to apply only to DO EM programs in Mi (I hear most of them are really good). My problem is I did considerably better on the USMLE then the comlex (little above average). I was going to do my first EM rotation in June, so hopefully I can get some good LORs by application time...

Also what did you guys use as far as LORs, SLORs or personal LOR?

SLOR - it gives u flexibility and credibility btwn all the programs, MD or DO. A majority of the good/dual accredited DO programs prefer a SLOR anyways. I'm a big fan of doing an early rotation at a place that you're not 100% interested...it kinda gives you a 'warm-up' to the field and a feel for procedures, etc. So when you do make mistakes, its understandable since you're new to the field.

Why DO only? if you got a good USMLE score, go try out a couple MD programs, can't hurt. 3 years vs. 4 years, etc.

Figured I'd bump this up in hopes people have had some interviews and would like to share their experiences.

Also about the SLOR: I asked about it on the first page and it seems to be not necessary for AOA residencies. I figure its the quality of the letter that matters a lot more than what type it is. For allo, you probably need an SLOR though.

Michigan State/Sparrow – Lansing, MI
- 9-11 per class, takes 4 through the AOA mat

ED
- 70k visits/year at Sparrow, 30% pediatrics
- 50k visits/year at Ingham, 10% pediatrics
- Level 1 trauma at Sparrow, Peds ED at Sparrow, stroke center, cath lab
- Admission rate is ~25%
- Saw Sparrow ED on tour. Very nice hospital that is older but has multiple newer/renovated areas, including ED. 51 adult beds, mostly separate rooms. Lots of computers in a separate glassed in area. Bright, fun Peds ED with 14 beds. Ingham ED is 32 beds.
- Usually 1-2 residents per attending

Curriculum
- PGY1: Orientation/EM x 4wk, EM x 12wk, Peds EM x 4wk, Surgery x 4wk, OB x 4wk, ICU Jr x 8wk, IM x 4wk, Trauma x 4wk*, Elective/Selective x 5wk*, Vacation x 3wk
- PGY2: EM x 24wk, Peds EM x 2wk, PICU x 2wk, ICU x 4wk, Elective/Selective x 9wk, Cardio x 4wk*, PulmCC x 4wk*,Vacation x 4wk
- PGY1 year is done at either Sparrow or Ingham and then you switch as PGY2. The * is rotations that are either PGY1 or PGY2, depending on which site you’re at.
- PGY3: EM x 36wk, CC x 4wk, Neuro/Stroke x 3-4wk, Selective/Elective x 3-4wk, Vacation x 4wk
- PGY4: EM x 36wk, CC x 4wk, Selective/Elective x 7wk, Vacation x 4wk
- Selectives: Anesthesia x 2-4wk, Cardiothoracic Surgery x 3-4wk, Optho x 1wk, Plastics x 1-3wk, EMS x 1wk, SAFE, Admin x 1wk, CQI x 1wk
- Rotations split approximately 55% Sparrow/45% Ingham
- 9h shifts at Ingham, 8’s and 9’s at Sparrow with 12’s on weekend so that you can get 1.5 to 2 weekends off/month
- 18 shifts each year, 50-60 hr/mo on average

Academics
- Weekly conference, procedures lab twice/year, journal club, board review
- Research – lots of support from MSU

- Mid-sized city with college-town feel in neighboring East Lansing
- Plenty of shopping, outdoor activities, performing arts, college sports, minor league baseball, etc

Misc.
- Other residencies: Ingham – Ortho, Anesthesia, IM, FP, OB, Surgery, PMR, Urology, Sparrow – FP, IM, Peds, Surgery, OB, Neuro, Psych
- Salary 44k to 49k
- Meal stipend, free parking, $600 CME as PGY1, then $1000
- Reasonable/lower cost of living
- Lots of perks being associated with MSU – faculty status, access to gym, tickets, etc.
- Can moonlight 6mo in – lots done in house with resident responsibilities
- Vacation taken in 2x1week blocks, and a 2 week block

Interview
- Put us up in a nice hotel on MSU campus plus dinner the night before.
- 3 interviews – 2 with attendings/PD (20-30min), 1 with chief resident (10-15min), all very informal and almost conversational

Overall
Solid program, really liked the atmosphere. Residents were happy and there was a nice energy and vibe from the PD/Associate PD. Well-rounded program with Sparrow and Ingham (a large community a hospital)

Henry Ford – Wyandotte, MI
- 4 per class

ED
- Total ED visits 75k
- Admission rate is around 30%
- No trauma designation but HF in Detroit is Level 1 and they rotate there for Trauma/SICU
- Cath lab, stroke center, and very comprehensive EMR
- ED is about 60 beds, mostly separated by curtains. Had one central charting station that looked like it could get crowded for computers. Plenty of computers in rooms and the hallways though. Floors/ICU looked nice. Small gym on site. There was a Subway in addition to cafeteria.
- Usually 1 resident per attending

Curriculum
- PGY1: EM x 4, Peds EM x 1, IM, Pulm, OBGYN, MICU, SICU @ HF Detroit, Trauma @ HF Detroit, Ortho
- PGY2: EM x 7, EMS x 2wk, Anesthesia x 2wk, Radiology x 2wk, Peds EM @ CHoD, MICU, U/S x 2wk, Vacation x 1mo
- PGY3: EM x 6, SICU @ HF Detroit, Ortho @ HF Detroit, Tox, Plastics x 2wk, Med Examiner x 2wk, Elective, Vacation
- PGY4: EM x 7, Trauma @ Baltimore Shock Trauma, Legal x 2wk, Optho x 2wk, Research x 2wk, Admin x 2wk, Elective, Vacation
- 10 h shifts, 18 as PGY 1+2, then 17 as PGY 3 and 16 as PGY 4
- 2 weekends off/mo and 4 days you can request off (just days to not have a shift, not counting as vacation)

Academics
- 4 h Grand Rounds – first 2 h are more discussion based on articles, then lectures from attendings and guests. Once a month rounds are in Troy with all the Michigan AOA EM residents.
- Sim lab is at HF in Detroit but isn’t that integrated into the curriculum. Just got approval to use it more frequently (and for free) so should be increasing.
- Research is one project that is “publishable”, can work as a group. Has good support.

- Downriver Detroit. Hospital is just north of downtown, looks like a safe area.
- Main St. in Wyandotte is kind of charming with lots of smaller shops
- Lots of places to live nearby, some residents are near hospital, others are in Trenton/Brownstone/etc.
- Typical suburban shopping within a few minutes. Nicer malls are further out.

Misc.
- Other residencies: FP, Surgery, IM, OBGYN
- Salary 48k to 54k
- Meals only for overnight call, free scrubs and parking
- CME – 300 as PGY 1+2, 1250 as PGY 3+4
- No competition for procedures
- 1 resident with OB made some months rough but everyone is aware of issue
- Moonlight as PGY3+4
- Trauma rotation is mostly floor management of patients, you don’t really go to ED
- Peds are seen in more of an urgent care from 12p to 12a that’s staffed by pediatricians, NPs, and PAs
- Second site (don’t remember where, but it’s close) has a lot more urgent care type complaints. Rotate there as PGY3+4.
- Not a resident run department so attendings see patients which allows residents to choose more productive/educational/interesting cases at times.
- Residents say they’re spoiled by the great ancillary staff
- Inpatient psych
- A lot of newer (ie just graduated) attendings. Residents like it as they’re current and eager to teach

Interview
- 4 x 15 min interviews with PD/faculty. One has a clinical scenario, the others were laid back
- Dinner the night before with residents. Kind of speed dating style. They were all happy and seemed to take a lot of pride in the program. Very open as far as questions.
Overall
Another solid program. Great volume and diversity at the Wyandotte base but that’s supplemented with some time at HF Detroit plus Baltimore and Childen’s. I also really liked the didactic style that was more interactive for the first part of rounds. Only questions I had were about all the newly gradated attendings and a possible lack of pediatrics exposure (since you won’t really see them 12p to 12a).

St. Joseph’s – Paterson, NJ
- 6 per class, 4 in PGY3 and 4

ED
- 126k visits/year
- Level 2 trauma, stroke center, cath lab
- ED is nice, renovated fairly recently with 2 sides, curtained off rooms (~30 total) plus Fast Track and another wing of lower-acuity patients. Also a separate psych holding area and a geriatric area. Separate 15-bed Peds ED.
- Brand new ED is under construction to be finished late 2011/early 2012.
- 1:1 residents/attending ratio

Curriculum
- Didn’t catch the entire curriculum, but 6mo EM each year, a month of EM at Wayne (community setting) in PGY3 and PGY4.
- PGY1: includes EM x 6mo, PedsEM, OBGYN, Surgery, CCU
- PGY2: includes EM x 6, PedsEM, ICU, Trauma
- PGY3: includes EM x 6, PedsEM, ICU, EM at Wayne
- PGY4: includes EM x 6, EM at Wayne, Optho/ENT (not sure how long for each)
- Some rotations there apparently wasn’t a whole lot to do but residents didn’t give specifics
- EM months are 12h shifts, 18 as PGY1 (then 17, 16, and 15)

Academics
- Weekly conference with quiz. Seemed a little disorganized on our interview day because a lecturer cancelled then residents were arguing quiz questions
- “regularly scheduled hands-on lectures” in ultrasound

- Paterson is a pretty rough area itself but there are nicer areas that still allow for decent commutes
- Many residents said they lived in Passaic Park or Clifton
- Higher cost of living ($1200-1500 for 1 BR)
- Plenty of shopping nearby (including Garden State Plaza) as well as restaurants
- Close to NYC

Misc.
- Salary from 46k to 54k
- No free parking??
- Some meals provided
- Physician in triage program but residents don’t have a role
- Palliative care program
- Has EMS and U/S fellowships
- Attempting to start toxicology referral center

Interview
- Panel interview (~30min) with 4 people – PD, associate PD, chairman, and resident
- Short case in interview
- No dinner with residents
- Strong preference for students who have rotated?
- Residents seemed happy and interacted with applicants a lot

Overall
Very pleasant surprise. PD is young and energetic with a great vision and big goals for the program. It looks like he’s got the resources to make it happen. New ED being built plus other construction gives the impression that the hospital is in good financial situation and the program is well-funded and supported. I liked that it gave the opportunity to train in an urban department with the high volume and diverse population/pathology but you could still live in a more suburban area. Drawbacks would be higher cost of living, north Jersey traffic. Seem to strongly favor students who have rotated with them.

UMDNJ – Stratford, NJ
- 6-7 per class, taking 7 this year

ED
- 3 locations – Stratford, Cherry Hill, and Washington Township
- 40-70k visits depending on site
- Stratford: 12 beds, more inner city feel, small but nice department with individual rooms and one central station for charting with plenty of computers
- Cherry Hill: expanding, gets a lot of NH patients
- Washington Twp: 30 beds, Peds ED, bigger, more suburban feel
- No trauma designation
- Cath lab is diagnostic only, no stroke center
- EMR at all sites
- 1-2 residents/attending

Curriculum
- PGY1: EM x 5, Peds EM, ICU, OBGYN, Medicine x 3, Anesthesia/Ortho, Surgery
- PGY2: EM x 7, Anesthesia/Radiology, Trauma x 2 (away), Pulm/CC
- PGY3: EM x 7, OBGYN x 2wk, Optho x 1wk, Pediatrics, Plastics x 2wk (away), Toxicology x 2wk (away)
- PGY4: EM x 7, Critical Care, Elective x 2wk, EMS x 2wk (away), Medical Legal/Admin x 2wk, Peds CC
- 12h shifts, 3days/3nights/3off
- As PGY1, all shifts are 7a-5p as you’re on call q4 or q5 the entire intern year.
- New Neuro/Neuro ICU rotation in Trenton in the works that will replace an elective

Academics
- Weekly lectures, journal club, daily morning rounds/lectures
- Sim Lab is at PCOM
- U/S in department but attendings are not certified, no formal curriculum
- Research – 1 required manuscript/project a year

- Multiple sites that have a variety of patient populations/sizes/etc.
- South Jersey/Suburban Philadelphia with Stratford campus beside UMDNJ campus
- Many residents live in Philadelphia

Misc.
- Salary 51k to 61k to reflect high cost of living
- Meal stipend $20/d when on call, free parking
- Orientation June 14-16, start June 20
- Other residencies: ENT, FP, IM, IM/EM, OB, Ortho, Psych, Surgery, Urology, plus multiple fellowships

Interview
- Interview consisted of panel interview with 3 people (PD/faculty/chairman/etc.)
- Upon arrival, went to holding area until your turn to interview. Mix of EM and IM applicants interviewing with several EM and IM residents to talk to. After interview, short tour of the Stratford hospital.
- Not a whole lot of interaction with residents on interview day and no dinner

Overall
Didn’t really make an impression and I left feeling like I didn’t have enough information or exposure to the residents/faculty to form a decent opinion. Multiple sites could be a plus with the variety but seems like it could be a lot of driving between them. Call schedule for intern year was a major turn off.

St. Barnabas – Bronx, NY
- 12-14 per class, taking 13 this year

ED
- 100k visits/year
- Level 1 trauma
- ED is older but functional, cramped and crowded like one would expect in the Bronx.
- Split into ED1, ED2, and Peds ED. ED1 = higher acuity, 20 curtained rooms but can (will) have multiple beds in each. ED2 = lower acuity, only 4 beds but a lot of chairs plus an asthma corner, Peds = 15 beds.
- Very few computers but all charts/orders are paper. EMR in January???
- 2-3 residents/attending
- Plans for a new Fast Track??

Curriculum
- PGY1: EM x 5mo, PedsEM, IM/Nights x 2mo, Trauma, Surgery, OBGYN, ICU, Vacation
- PGY2: EM x 6, PedsEM, ICU, Ortho x 2wk, Anesthesia x 2wk, Neruo x 2wk, EMS x 2wk, Trauma, ID x 2wk, ED U/S x 2wk, Vacation
- PGY3: EM x 6, Peds EM, ICU, Trauma, Toxicology, Admin x 2wk, Research x 2wk, EMS x 2wk, Selective x 2wk, Vacation
- PGY4: EM x 7, PedsEM x 2wk (away), PICU, Optho x 2wk, EM U/S x 2wk, Cardio x 2wk, Ortho x 2 wk, Selective x 2wk, Elective, Vacation
- 12h shifts, 18 as PGY1 (then 17, 16, and 15)
- Progressive increase in complexity of cases – as PGY1, only 10 shifts/yr in ED1 with the rest in ED2, as PGY2/3 it’s split 50/50, as PGY4 mostly ED2
- OB rotation is long hours, but 1 on 1 with attendings and a good rotation
- Issue with PedsEM currently because some faculty not EM certified. They’re currently taking some shifts elsewhere and working with fewer attendings. Seems to be working things out?

Academics
- Grand rounds seemed organized and fairly formal.
- Daily teaching rounds – mandatory 2d/wk
- Weekly readings with quizzes
- New sim lab program that will have a formal curriculum
- Yearly research requirement - paper

- In the Bronx, so very urban/inner city, not a great area around the hospital but public transportation within a few blocks
- High cost of living, especially compared to the salary (46k-55k)
- Lots of restaurants/cultural things to do in NYC
- Residents live all over – Bronx/Brooklyn/Manhattan/Westchester

Misc.
- Trauma team runs all traumas – including airway?? – while radiology does FAST
- Residents end up doing IVs, meds, labs, transporting patients fairly frequently
- Tons of other residencies/fellowships at St. Barnabas
- Just in passing, the cafeteria seemed below average (not many choices) but call rooms were nice and new with a common space that had lots of natural light.

Interview
- Panel interview with 3-4 people – PD, resident, faculty
- No dinner with residents

Overall
Very high volume with diverse population and tons of pathology. Residents should be prepared to go anywhere and do anything but maybe not the best fit for me (ie location). Residents seemed happy but very few interacted with applicants.

Good Samaritan – West Islip, NY
- 4-6 per class (6 PGY1, 5 PGY2/3, 4 PGY4)

ED
- 100k visits/year
- Level 2 trauma, stroke center, cath lab
- Admission rate is 22-24%
- Main ED is on the opposite side of the main hospital and arranged in one big rectangle with rooms/curtains on the perimeter and a charting station (with sky lights) in the center. Peds ED is a similar (but smaller) set up connected on the other side of the med rooms. Fast Track area adjoins.
- Also a “mid track” located upstairs in ambulatory surgery that the ED takes over after 4pm. Not resident staffed.
- Somewhat cramped but still a very nice department.
- 1:1 residents/attending ratio

Curriculum
- PGY1: EM x 18 wk, IM x 8wk (call q4), MICU x 4wk, Surgery x 4wk (9a-5p, no call), OBGYN x 4wk, Peds x 4wk (call), Anesthesia/Radiology x 2wk, Ortho x 4wk, Vacation x 4wk – Everything intern year is at Good Samaritan
- PGY2: EM x 26 wk, EM at Elmhurst (urban, level 1 trauma) x 4wk, Peds EM x 6wk, MICU x 4wk (at either Nassau or Stony Brook), ENT x 2wk, Psych x 2wk, Vacation x 4wk, Research/Admin x 2w, EMS (with FDNY) x 2wk
- PGY3: EM x 24 wk, EM at Elmhurst x 4wk, Trauma x 4wk (call 3-4x/mo), Peds EM x 6wk, CCU x 4wk (Nassau or Stony Brook), Trauma x 4wk (at Baltimore Shock Trauma, no housing, or Nassau), Toxicology (at NY Poison Control) x 4wk, Optho x 2wk, Vacation x 4wk
- PGY4: EM x 24 wk, EM at Elmhurst x 4wk, Trauma x 4wk, Peds EM x 4wk, PICU x 4wk (call), Trauma at Baltimore or Nassau) x 4wk, Elective x 6wk, Neurosurgery x 2wk, Vacation x 4wk
- Mostly 12h shifts but 3x8’s as PGY1 and 1-2x8’s as PGY2, 20 as PGY1 (then 18, 17, and 16)
- Each EM block has 4 Fast Track shifts as PGY1, then 3, 2, and 1. Also 4 Peds shifts as PGY1, then 1 per month (because separate Peds EM rotation)
- Intern year “not bad” per interns
- Past electives – NASA, Africa, Great Britian, wilderness, aeromedical

Academics
- Weekly lectures, morning sign out/teaching rounds/cases, procedure lab/cadaver lab, structured reading, monthly workshops (splint/suture/EKG/radiology/OMM)
- Biweekly take home quizzes, must maintain 80 average
- Boards/in service exam – must beat national average to pass
- Research requirement – 1 large study or 2 cases and a smaller study

- On Long Island, but depending where on the island, can be pretty suburban. Traffic can be rough getting on/off island.
- Higher cost of living (1 BR $1200)
- Can live close to NYC if you want, residents lived all over
- Lots of shopping and restaurants also outdoor activities and cultural opportunities

Misc.
- Peds EM fellowship, applying for toxicology
- Trying to get dual accredidation??
- Other residencies: FP, Peds, OBGYN, and Transitional
- Salary ranges from 52k to 60k (but residents said PGY1 was closer to 55k?)
- Can’t wear scrubs
- PGY1 does their own IVs, labs, NGT, foley, etc.
- New ED (maybe?) by 2014
- No moonlighting
- PD is tough with high standards but approachable and looks out for residents
- Yearly medical mission to El Salvador – residents can participate
- Faculty mentor plus Big Brother with senior resident

Interview
- 3 separate interviews with 3 people in each room. ~15min each, all pretty laid back.
- Drinks/appetizers the night before with residents. Very helpful and open. All seemed happy.

Overall
Another pleasant surprise. Looks like a strong program with good academics and solid, balanced clinical exposure with the Elmhurst/away rotations. The residents seemed like a great group to work with. Drawbacks would be no scrubs, cost of living on Long Island (although they do have higher pay to help) and the traffic getting on/off the island.

LehighValley – Allentown, PA
- 14 per class
- Dual AOA/ACGME accrediation

ED
- Total ED visits 75k at Cedar Crest and 53k/year at Muhlenberg
- Admission rate is 20% at Muhlenberg (9% ICU) and 36% Cedar Crest (13% ICU)
- Level 1 trauma, cath lab, stroke center, etc.
- EMR is T systems
- Cedar Crest ED is 44 beds split into 4 pods plus an express care. It’s fairly new, spacious, and they’re adding a new Peds ED to open in January 2011. Muhlenberg is currently 19 beds (but starting renovations for 10 new beds) and is older but still nice. Both have plenty of work space and computers (some of which are tablets) Huge and nice cafeteria at Cedar Crest.
- Usually 2 residents per attending

Curriculum
- PGY1: EM x 5, IM, Surgery, Cardio (call q5), Peds, OBGYN, Ortho, ICU (call q5)
- PGY2: EM x 5, Anesthesia/FT, ICU (call q5), MICU, IM, TNIC (NeuroICU?), Peds, Radiology
- PGY3: EM x 6, ICU (call q5), Toxicology, CHOP, Neuro, TNIC, MICU
- PGY4: EM x 7, ICU (call q5), PICU, EMS, Elective, Admin/Reasearch
- 9 h shifts, 20 as PGY 1 and 2, 18 as PGY3, 17 as PGY4

Academics
- Very strong and structured. Lectures, guest lecturers, Rosens x 2, strong journal club, sim lab regularly, small group learning.
- Research can be done as a group

- Both hospitals are near major highways (which brings in a lot of blunt trauma) and the whole area is pretty suburban. Downtown Allentown is a little rough but there are plenty of places to live in the area that are nicer.
- Plenty of shopping, restaurants. Typical suburban stuff.
- Just over an hour to Philly, probably 2.5h to NYC
- Also close to Pocono Mtns
- Cost of living reasonable (1000sqft apartment with some utilities = $1000/mo)

Misc.
- Other residencies: almost everything but Muhlenberg = “EM’s house”
- Salary 49k to 57k
- Meal stipend ($1200), parking, scrubs, CME ($1500)
- Youthful You Spa Discount, gym discount
- Trauma handled by trauma team (with EM resident rotating on the team), you don’t go to traumas on EM months
- Airways on floor = anesthesia
- Shifts 50/50 between hospitals
- New Peds ED will replace outpatient Peds rotation then will have some shifts there each month. Still ironing out all the details
- ICU at Muhlenberg is entirely EM run and has a telemed program

Interview
- 4 x 20 min interviews plus a short one with the coordinator. 2 faculty per room.
- Dinner/reception the night after the interview
Overall
Another very strong program. Rigorous academics and great facilities/technology. Seems like a very well-funded program. The different sites give slightly different perspectives although I’d imagine the commute could be a hassle with traffic. Drawbacks would be less trauma exposure and maybe fewer airways. Not sure how the new Peds ED will work. The residents seemed happy but they work really hard (but will be very well prepared). Overall, a great place to train and will be at/near the top of my list.

St. Luke’s – Bethlehem, PA
- 4 per class
- ACGME program on site with 8/year (I think 8?)

ED
- Total ED visits 75k at Bethlehem (23% peds) and 45k/year at Allentown (26% peds)
- Admission rate is 24% at Bethlehem
- Level 1 trauma at Bethlehem, cath lab, stroke center, etc.
- EMR, not sure which one
- Bethlehem ED is about 30 beds, seemed spacious and spread out with a couple of zones but only one central charting area. It was nice but not shiny and new like the Allentown ED. I believe Allentown is a little smaller but it looks brand new. ICU (Bethlehem) looked nice and the cafeteria was decent.
- Usually 2 residents per attending

Curriculum
- PGY1: EM @ B x 2, EM @ A x 2, IM @ A, MICU @ B, Cardio/Neuro @ B, General Surgery @ B, ENT/Optho @ A, Peds @ B, OBGYN @ A, Surgery Sub./EM @ B
- PGY2: EM @ B x 5, EM @ A x 2, Elective, Anesthesia/Radiology, SICU @ B, Ortho @ B
- PGY3: EM x 5 @ B, EM @ A, SICU @ B, MICU @ B, PedsED @ St. Chris, EMS/Research, Trauma @ B, Surgery Sub. @ B
- PGY4: EM @ B x 5, EM @ A, Trauma @ B, SICU @ B, MICU @ B, Elective/EM @ B, Admin/EM @ B, Tox/EM @ B
- 10 h shifts, 20 as PGY 1, then 19 as PGY 2 and 17 as PGY 3+4

Academics
- Seemed a little more relaxed. Grand Rounds, M+M, Cases, Rosen’s/Tintinalli, Jeopardy, Journal Club, OMM
- Biweekly quizzes.
- Has sim lab but doesn’t seem very structured and done mostly for procedures

- Area around Bethlehem campus seemed kind of residential. Allentown is in the downtown area. Should provide a mix of patient populations?
- Close to Poconos, 1h to Philly, 2h to NYC, 2.5h to shore
- Typical suburban shopping, apparently lots of outdoor activities
- Cost of living average to low

Misc.
- Other residencies: EM, FP, Surgery, IM, OBGYN, Ortho, TRI, Geriatrics, Palliative Care, Sports Med, Trauma/CC
- Salary 49k to 57k
- Free meals and parking. $1500 CME, $200 for PDA as PGY 1, $1500 moving expenses (with receipts)
- Last week of PedsED rotation at St. Chris could end up being vacation?
- No international opportunities
- Possibly expanding to 6 spots/year
- Trauma airway as PGY 2, EM does all floor intubations
- Moonlighting – 14h as PGY 2, 28 as PGY 3, 42 as PGY 4 – with approval – either in house with MICU/SICU or out. Can do urgent care nearby.
- PD says he encouraged OMM once/shift with extra shifts assigned if you don’t turn in a form, but residents said they’ve never been penalized and don’t use it often.
- No separate Quick Check shifts, instead you see more of those patients towards the end of a shift
- Supposedly great relationship with trauma and EM program is largest (has a lot of pull)

Interview
- 4 x 20 min interviews 2 with PD/faculty and 2 with residents
- Dinner the night before with residents. All were very nice and laid back. Lots of commraderie – one of the attendings was actually there and blended in.
Overall
Seems like a decent program but won’t be in my top 3. While they seem like a happy bunch and get along very well, I’ve heard the academics were also more laid back. Its more of a personal thing, I want something a little more structured. Overall, the volume, pathology, and diversity of patients between hospitals should make for a good learning experience and the PD seems very dedicated with a strong idea of where he wants to take the program.

Aria – Philadelphia, PA
- 4 per class

ED
- Total ED visits 110k/year among 3 campuses (Torresdale, Frankford, Bucks Co.)
- Torresdale – Level 2 trauma, 239 bed hospital, 38 bed ED with cath lab. Stroke center in the works.
- Bucks Co – no trauma, 184 bed hospital, 16 bed ED with cath lab. More community/suburban setting
- Frankford – no trauma, 121 bed hospital, 25 bed ED. More of an urban, inner city feel.
- Admission rate is 15-30% (lower at Frankford, higher at Torresdale)
- Saw Torresdale campus on tour. ED is large with 3 separate pods all similar in acuity, only 1 open over night. Looked like only 1 large work area with multiple computers and felt a bit maze-ish. Floors looked nice, updated ICU, decent food/cafeteria.
- 1-2 residents per attending

Curriculum
- PGY1 year is mostly at Bucks campus
- PGY1: EM x 12wk, IM/ICU x 12wk, Surgery x 4wk, Trauma x 4wk, OBGYN x 4wk (at St Mary’s, no residency there), Peds EM at CHOP x 4wk, Anesthesia x 4wk, Cardiology x 4wk, Night Float x 4wk
- PGY2: EM x 6m, MICU, Peds EM at St. Chris, Ortho (office based), Urology/Ultrasound, Trauma, Elective
- PGY3: EM x 6m, Burn ICU at Temple, PICU at St. Chris, Trauma at Cooper, Research, ENT/Optho, Elective
- PGY4: EM x 6m, Peds EM at CHOP, EMS, Plastics/Neuro, Toxicology, Admin, Elective
- EM rotations split 50% Torresdale, 35% Frankford, 15% Bucks
- 12h shifts, 17 as PGY1 then 16-15-14

Academics
- Lectures, journal club (every 1-2 mo) – all seemed pretty relaxed
- Read Rosens x 2
- Faculty said inservice exams not as good recently so tweaking curriculum
- New Sim Lab program, new ultrasound program (not sure the extent of either)

- Torresdale is Northeast Philly, Frankford is Urban, Bucks is Suburban. All within 30min of each other.
- Most married residents live in Bucks/Langhorn area. Singles tend to live in city.
- Lots of shopping, restaurants, cultural events, outdoor activities in Philadelphia area

Misc.
- Other residencies: IM, FP, EM/IM, EM/FP, TRI, podiatry
- Salary 45k to 50k, a little low for the cost of living.
- Meal stipend ($1200/yr), free parking, CME $500/yr
- Cost of living dependent on where in Philadelphia/surrounding areas you live
- Rumor: new ED in ~2yr and 4th hospital in ~3-5 years???
- In house moonlighting as PGY3-4
- No trauma intubations until PGY3.

Interview
- 5 x 20min interviews. One with a group of residents, 1 with PDs, 3 with faculty. One of the faculty had a short case
- No dinner. Interaction with residents was limited to interview, interaction between lectures (waited in conference between interviews), and tour/lunch. Seemed like a nice bunch but not terribly outgoing.
Overall
Undecided. Interesting out rotations for Peds/Burn/Trauma, but intern year seems to have a decent amount of scut rotations. Nice variety in the 3 locations but might end up with more travel than I’d like. Two PDs have mix of youthful energy and experience. I question the strength/structure of the academics and how that’d work for my learning style.

Einstein – Philadelphia, PA
- 12-15 per class, taking 15 this year
- Dual AOA/ACGME accrediation

ED
- Total ED visits 90k/year
- Admission rate is 19% but higher than national average for ICU admits.
- Level 1 trauma, cath lab, stroke center, etc.
- No EMR yet but implementing in the ED early 2011.
- ED is 53 beds split between 3 pods plus 5 bed Fast Track. Adding a new 4th pod to be completed soon. Most rooms are 3 walls/curtain. Large department, it’s not shiny and new but is nice with large work stations. Currently lack enough computers but I’d imagine that’d change with the addition of EMR. New hospital in Montgomery Co. for 2012. I think residents will be there?
- 3 or 4 residents per attending

Curriculum
- PGY1: Orientation/EM, EM x 3, Anesthesia, IM, CCU, Simulation, MICU, Trauma, Surgery, Peds, OBGYN
- PGY2: EM x 6, EMS, NICU, Ortho, Simulation, Neurology, Radiology, MICU
- PGY3: EM x 6, Shock Trauma @ Lehigh Valley, PICU @ CHOP, Burn ICU @ Temple, Simulation, Emergency Psych/Elective, Toxicology, Scholars
- PGY4: EM x 6, Peds EM @ CHOP, Neurosurgery, Admin, Simulation, Elective, Optho/ENT, Scholars
- 8, 9, 10, and 12 h shifts, 18-21/year on a template of 3 days, 24h off, 3 nights, 3 off

Academics
- Strong. Lectures, sim lab, Rosen’s, journal club
- Some lectures split PGY 1+2, PGY 3+4
- Monthly quizzes
- Brand new sim center is BEAUTIFUL. Implementing a more formal curriculum for it.

- Hospital is in a fairly rough neighborhood but you can live in nicer areas and still have decent commutes.
- Tons of shopping, restaurants, cultural, and outdoor activities
- Cost of living dependent on where in Philadelphia/surrounding areas you live

Misc.
- Other residencies: 400 residents/fellows in 34 specialties (IM, Neuro, OB, Peds, Psych, Radiology, Surgery, Urology, Prelim, TRI, Cardio, GI, Geriatrics, ID, Heptatlogy, Nephro, Rheum, Transplant, Pulm/CC)
- Salary 47k to 52k
- Meal stipend, parking, scrubs
- 15 vacation days through the year plus 5 days around holidays
- Work Fast Track shifts as PGY2
- Alternate traumas with surgery – ED even days, surgery odd – but PGY3 and 4 does all airways
- PGY2 does all medical intubations in ED
- Dedicated orientation block with lectures, labs, bonding activities, “princess shifts”
- Shifts at new Montgomery Hospital will be 1:1 with attending and will be scattered in schedule
- Tropical medicine elective in St. Croix
- Fellowships in toxicology, EMS/disaster medicine

Interview
- 3 x 20 min interviews with PD, associate PD, and chief resident
- Pretty extensive tour. Wear comfy shoes!
- Nice dinner the night before in center city Philadelphia
Overall
Very strong program. You’ll see everything and be very well prepared. Excellent trauma management set up. Also really liked the rotations at CHOP and Temple. Lehigh Valley for trauma also gives balance with blunt trauma. Einstein is definitely significantly more penetrating. Dr. Carter (PD) is awesome, as are the other faculty we met. Residents worked very hard, but seemed happy in their decision to come to Einstein. I’d heard at other interviews that the Einstein residents are overworked and miserable but didn’t get that vibe. One drawback is number of residents to each attending. Personally, not sure I want to be in an urban program, but this will still end up high on my list.

Conemaugh – Johnstown, PA
- 4 per class

ED
- Over 70k visits/year, 25% admit rate
- Level 1 trauma
- ED has 30 rooms, plus fast track (residents do very few shifts back there)
- Really nice facilities, fairly new department with lots of computers and work space.
- Paper charts/orders but EMR for old records
- 1-2 residents/attending
- Stroke center, cath lab, etc.

Curriculum
- PGY1: EM x 4, Trauma, ICU, FP, Anesthesia/Radiology, Surgery, OBGYN, IM, Peds FP
- PGY2: EM x 7, Trauma, Peds, Ortho Trauma, Elective x 2
- PGY3: EM x 6, Trauma, Toxicology, EMS, Research/Admin, Elective x 2
- PGY4: EM x 5, EM @ Allegheny General, EMS, CCM – Medicine, Research/Admin, Elective x 3
- 9h shifts, 18 shifts every year
- Moonlighting allowed starting mid-PGY3 and shifts are subtracted from the 18
- Peds rotation is outpatient with call in fast track as well as time in NICU but rotation should be changing. PD wants more/earlier exposure to sick peds. Possibly becoming an away rotation.
- Has air EMS program that is currently observation only but working to set it up so it’s always staffed with a resident. Model after St. Vincent’s in Toledo (I think?).

Academics
- Weekly lecture is partially discussion based where residents read articles and then they split into groups to discuss with faculty. Very interactive.
- Typical grand rounds: 2h discussion groups, 1h traditional lecture, sim lab (used almost every week)

- Johnstown is pretty rural, sounds like a good bit of outdoor activities around
- Fairly low cost of living but not many places to rent??

Misc.
- Salary 46k to 52k plus 5k relocation bonus as PGY1
- Educational allowance 500 as PGY1 then 2000
- Unlimited meals, free parking
- 2 weeks in June as Orientation/Boot Camp
- Other residencies: FP, Surgery, IM, Pathology, Transitional

Interview
- 3 x 20min interviews all very laid back with lots of time to ask questions
- No dinner with residents.

Overall
Fairly new program (PGY4’s were first class) but seem to be flexible and receptive to change. Great energy and enthusiasm among program leadership, they seem to have a clear vision of where they want the program to be (ie “the #1 DO EM residency”), common theme was “untapped potential”.

And that's all. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I had planned to get them posted a lot sooner but it took longer than I expected to get all my thoughts organized and typed up.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a M3 looking to land a spot at one of the DO emergency medicine programs would you guys recommend doing 2 separate 1 month long audition rotations, or 4 rotations at 2 weeks each at various programs?

My school only allows for 2 months total in any one specialty and the DO residencies seem to lack EMS, U/S, and Toxicology rotations.

Since programs seem to favor those that rotate I want to get some face time at as many programs as I can. Thanks for all the great program reviews.

I'd say 2 month long rotations as it'd give the programs more time to get to know you and hopefully write a stronger, more personal letter. I know Einstein has a toxicology elective (that I've heard is fairly nice hours) and I'd imagine several of the places with peds EDs would let you do a peds rotation. Would your school let you count those? 2 months of EM, tox, and peds EM could give you face time in 4 places.

Thank you so much for putting these detailed reviews Tiger. It must've taken quite a bit of time.

Are you still interviewing in the DO world or is this the entire run?

Thank you so much for putting these detailed reviews Tiger. It must've taken quite a bit of time.

Are you still interviewing in the DO world or is this the entire run?

No problem! I'm done with the DO interviews, only 2-3 more MD ones left and then I'm DONE. Finish line is starting to come into view!

No problem! I'm done with the DO interviews, only 2-3 more MD ones left and then I'm DONE. Finish line is starting to come into view!

Congratulations, and thank you very much for the reviews. I'm sure some of it probably stemmed from when you were in our position and thirsting for information.

Any upperclassmen have tricks of da trade (aka reasonably unbiased info from the applicants perspective) then PLEASE keep it coming!:thumbup:

Can anyone tell me anything about the EM program in Port St Lucie, Florida? I'm a small town person, so I have some reluctance about going to a big city for residency. This seems to be one of the few programs that is not in a metropolis, but I really can't find much information about it. I'm thinking about doing an elective there, but don't want to waste one of my precious few months available if it's not a decent program. Thanks!

It's not very well known. Which is not necessarily a bad thing

There was another thread in 2009 that said the Port St. Lucie was the reborn Ft. Lauderdale program. There were only like 3 posts in that thread, so I have no idea.

Google brings up on the official searches from the AOA and a news story, so if you want to know more, you'll probably have to go to the source. Hopefully they'll have a nice website set up just for the residency itself soon.

There was another thread in 2009 that said the Port St. Lucie was the reborn Ft. Lauderdale program. There were only like 3 posts in that thread, so I have no idea.

Google brings up on the official searches from the AOA and a news story, so if you want to know more, you'll probably have to go to the source. Hopefully they'll have a nice website set up just for the residency itself soon.

I rotated through there. it is the old ft lauderdale program, just moved to a new location. nothing to do with the residency itself, just issues with between the new docs that entered ft lauderdale. so basically it's starting over again. dr matese is still the PD, he'll tell you whatever you what to know. this is the 1st yr with residents so look them up and get more info

So I'm wanting to do into EM and I was looking at some of these reviews and I'm seeing some hospitals making the residents work as little as 16, 12hr shifts/mo???? Is it less hours per week when compared to MD residencies because it is 4 years, instead of 3? B/c I work with many residents and they are all doing 80+ hours per week, not 48. Any clarification would be awesome.

You can't compare ED rotations with off service rotations.

ACGME EM programs have a different hour maximum for the ED. I don't recall the specifics since I did a DO EM program, but I was working more hours in the ED than my friends in ACGME EM programs were allowed to. (Our 12 hr shifts/month reduced as we progressed and for each PGY year were 19-19-17-15) The off service months were highly variable and definitely were near the 80 hour/week limit on some of them, well under on others.

I rotated through there. it is the old ft lauderdale program, just moved to a new location. nothing to do with the residency itself, just issues with between the new docs that entered ft lauderdale. so basically it's starting over again. dr matese is still the PD, he'll tell you whatever you what to know. this is the 1st yr with residents so look them up and get more info

Thanks for the clarification. I'm actually very interested in the program and plan on requesting an away there next year. I figured I'd start emailing directors when the time comes.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm actually very interested in the program and plan on requesting an away there next year. I figured I'd start emailing directors when the time comes.
yeah, start now! it's all first come, first serve. I don't remember the application/housing fee? plus PSL has housing (it's a new pt room upstairs), also first come,first serve. food's free, not the best in the world but you can't beat the commute to work

yeah, start now! it's all first come, first serve. I don't remember the application/housing fee? plus PSL has housing (it's a new pt room upstairs), also first come,first serve. food's free, not the best in the world but you can't beat the commute to work

Oh really? I should start emailing him and others now?

I figured I'd wait until I at least have a board score I can give him. Our EM club advisor always seems to complain to us about emails and phone calls he gets by random students from all over because they want to form connections too early. Maybe he was just venting.

Anyhow, I really am interested in the program and that is interesting they have housing on site! That seriously makes things way easier.

Oh really? I should start emailing him and others now?

I figured I'd wait until I at least have a board score I can give him. Our EM club advisor always seems to complain to us about emails and phone calls he gets by random students from all over because they want to form connections too early. Maybe he was just venting.

Anyhow, I really am interested in the program and that is interesting they have housing on site! That seriously makes things way easier.
I am assuming you're an MS2-3. you need to start emailing every place you want to go to and get the dates lined up. 6mo-1 yr notice is adequate although plenty of students call late expecting a last minute slot. they usually start doing the med student rotation slots after the residents schedule is fixed. nothing's worse than having to do a rotation in NJ then haul ass over the weekend to FL. try to keep the traveling to a minimal, if possible.

I kinda agree with your advisor but he's not telling you the full monty. if you write to dr matese just to say "hi I am interested" it won't go too far but if you say "I am interested and I'll be there rotating on xx-xx, can't wait to get started" that's a whole diff story. as for board scores, I wouldn't worry about that. just put on your A game and slam dunk the rotation. board scores are only good for the ERAS application process. clinical rotations are about seeing how you get along, personality, strength/weakness..etc.

Last edited:
I am assuming you're an MS2-3. you need to start emailing every place you want to go to and get the dates lined up. 6mo-1 yr notice is adequate although plenty of students call late expecting a last minute slot. they usually start doing the med student rotation slots after the residents schedule is fixed. nothing's worse than having to do a rotation in NJ then haul ass over the weekend to FL. try to keep the traveling to a minimal, if possible.

I kinda agree with your advisor but he's not telling you the full monty. if you write to dr matese just to say "hi I am interested" it won't go too far but if you say "I am interested and I'll be there rotating on xx-xx, can't wait to get started" that's a whole diff story. as for board scores, I wouldn't worry about that. just put on your A game and slam dunk the rotation. board scores are only good for the ERAS application process. clinical rotations are about seeing how you get along, personality, strength/weakness..etc.

Thank you for the advice! Yes, I am a MS2 right now and aimed to take both Step 1s in June 2011. This is why I haven't reached out to programs yet because I'm still far from even my first rotation, but I figured once I can apply, I will start talking to them.

It does make sense to email Dr. Matese after getting a spot set up. So, would you recommend attempting to set on up around July/August of this year in preparation for 1 year from then? That's what I was planning on doing but if you believe that talking to him now would help, I'll go for it.

Thank you for the advice! Yes, I am a MS2 right now and aimed to take both Step 1s in June 2011. This is why I haven't reached out to programs yet because I'm still far from even my first rotation, but I figured once I can apply, I will start talking to them.

It does make sense to email Dr. Matese after getting a spot set up. So, would you recommend attempting to set on up around July/August of this year in preparation for 1 year from then? That's what I was planning on doing but if you believe that talking to him now would help, I'll go for it.
you gotta look at it backwards....you want to be there between aug-nov of your ms4 yr. that way you won't be in the way of new interns in july and can do your interview while you're there to save you a trip of coming back. most places will give you a courtesy interview just for rotating there. I'd start the email process this july, your ms3 yr(2011) for next yr your ms4 yr(2012). on the other hand if this is a warm up rotation for you then try to go as an ms3.

you gotta look at it backwards....you want to be there between aug-nov of your ms4 yr. that way you won't be in the way of new interns in july and can do your interview while you're there to save you a trip of coming back. most places will give you a courtesy interview just for rotating there. I'd start the email process this july, your ms3 yr(2011) for next yr your ms4 yr(2012). on the other hand if this is a warm up rotation for you then try to go as an ms3.

I was under the impression that golden months for DO are more like Sept-Dec?

And remember, rotating during interview season is nice but you do need to do some emergency earlier to get those letters of rec and the all important SLOR.

December is late. Heck, my program interviews in November. July through Oct or early Nov is prime.

This kinda throws a wrench in my plans. I was told by the staff at our hospital that their match lists are finished by January and thus Dec was the last solid month. So does your program (pretty sure its my top choice) only do interviews durring November? Would a Dec elective be a waste of time?

Match lists are due in Jan. My program has historically done all interviews on one day in December. They have considered rockstars that have rotated later and have done individual interviews in a few of those situations, but don't plan on December being a prime time to rotate.
The caveat to all of this is that this program has a new PD (an existing attending, so not new to the program) starting next month. There may be changes to this schedule, but I doubt anything significant.

I'm looking for input on Mt. Sinai in Miami, Any osteopathic EM residency in Ohio and Kingman, AZ. I'm trying to set up rotations for my 4th year and would like a little input before scheduling rotations at these facilities.

Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything about a possible new EM residency opening up at Wellmont in Kingsport, TN? Just wondering if this is a rumor...

Thank you so much for laying it out so simply. I think I will start emailing in July when rotations start. I also had no idea that they would even interview people while rotating there since one would hope to get a letter from that experience to put into ERAS.

It will not be a warm up rotation for me and I do plan to do at least 2 EM rotations in my schools network (one being at the Kingman residency) and 1 required rotation, so I hope that will be enough to be ready for an audition.

Again, thanks a lot for the help. It definitely changed how I plan to do things in the coming months.

I'm looking for input on Mt. Sinai in Miami, Any osteopathic EM residency in Ohio and Kingman, AZ. I'm trying to set up rotations for my 4th year and would like a little input before scheduling rotations at these facilities.

Thanks!

I don't know much about the Kingman residency first hand, but I am going there as a 3rd year roughly 1 year from now. Also, they dropped from 4 spots to 1 this year for some reason so I'm not really sure what's going on there.

I'm getting different answers about how many audition rotations to do during my 4th year. Is it wrong to do EM rotations Aug-Nov? Many DO programs won't interview you unless you do a month with them.

Thanks

I'm getting different answers about how many audition rotations to do during my 4th year. Is it wrong to do EM rotations Aug-Nov? Many DO programs won't interview you unless you do a month with them.

Thanks

I did 3 rotations total, 2 at DO programs, and had interview invites from ~15 programs. There was only 1-2 places I interviewed at where I felt like they wanted me to come back for a 2nd look (or even rotation) to be seriously considered for the rank list.

I did 3 rotations total, 2 at DO programs, and had interview invites from ~15 programs. There was only 1-2 places I interviewed at where I felt like they wanted me to come back for a 2nd look (or even rotation) to be seriously considered for the rank list.

How did you get that feeling that it would be best to come back for a 2nd look? Did they make it fairly obvious or was it just something you observed?

I do get the feeling a lot of DO programs do what people to rotate with them to be ranked. Maybe it's just a few select ones.

Also, how did the match go for you Tiger?

How did you get that feeling that it would be best to come back for a 2nd look? Did they make it fairly obvious or was it just something you observed?

They mentioned 2nd looks multiple times throughout the day and the residents said it'd be smart over lunch. Definitely obvious.

Also, how did the match go for you Tiger?

Matched somewhere today.

They mentioned 2nd looks multiple times throughout the day and the residents said it'd be smart over lunch. Definitely obvious.

Matched somewhere today.

Ah, good to know. I hoped it wasn't a situation where you have to read the atmosphere or something vague like that. Glad they outright tell you.

Congrats on the match! Good luck on wherever you're going :)

Does anyone know if moonlighting is permitted for EM residents at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in California? This is not addressed anywhere on their website.

Does anyone happen to know if moonlighting is available at most DO EM residency programs, or is it the situation where only a handful of programs allow their residents to moonlight? Thanks.

for dually accredited EM residencies is it safe to assume that they are all DO friendly? Also, can it be assumed that they will except the COMLEX and not prefer the USMLE?

I plan on only taking comlex step 1 and then both step 2's, just wondering if this generally would be accepted.

Also, is there an advantage of a dually accredited program? Not sure if I even know what it means haha

thank youuuu!

for dually accredited EM residencies is it safe to assume that they are all DO friendly? Also, can it be assumed that they will except the COMLEX and not prefer the USMLE?

I plan on only taking comlex step 1 and then both step 2's, just wondering if this generally would be accepted.

Also, is there an advantage of a dually accredited program? Not sure if I even know what it means haha

thank youuuu!

From my perspective, the dual programs were very DO-friendly and had no problem taking my COMLEX score. Be aware that as a DO, you can only rank MSU/Sparrow in the AOA match unless you've done an intern year somewhere. Both Einstein and Lehigh Valley are DO friendly. This past year Einstein took 3 students from the AOA match and the other 12 from the NRMP despite the incoming class being 50/50. Lehigh Valley had 14 spots and took 7 in each, I believe. I'm not sure what their breakdown was this year but they've been mostly DO the past few years. I interviewed at all 3 of these dual programs and thought they were all strong depending on what you were looking for. I don't know much about the other program in MI.

I thought that the dual programs would give me an advantage as I wasn't sure where I wanted to practice post-residency. There's a decent chance I could end up in an area with fewer DO's and I thought being ABEM certified could help with that.